OK sorry for the n00b question but I haven't seen how the cab and the head connect. Could you post a picture of the connection? Thanks!
Hail Satan

Gear:
Yamaha RGX220
Peavey 5150
Trohak Cabinet (w/ Eminence speakers)
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Roadster
Marshall Mg15
Alright thanks.
Hail Satan

Gear:
Yamaha RGX220
Peavey 5150
Trohak Cabinet (w/ Eminence speakers)
Mesa/Boogie 2x12 Roadster
Marshall Mg15
Depending on the head and cab, it's always best to use an actual SPEAKER cable to connect the head and cab instead of a regular instrument cable that you have laying around.
DO NOT USE AN INSTRUMENT CABLE!!!

you could actually blow out your cab if you use instrument cables. go with a SPEAKER cable which you can buy at just about any guitar store for about the same price.
Jesus Rules

SLAM DANCE
Quote by 13Flxxrocker
DO NOT USE AN INSTRUMENT CABLE!!!

you could actually blow out your cab if you use instrument cables. go with a SPEAKER cable which you can buy at just about any guitar store for about the same price.

Whats the difference?
An instrument cable will work in a pinch if you're not pushing a lot of volume. but if you intend to crank dat biatch up, then you absolutely need a speaker cable.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Well, ive been using an instrument cable for about a year here now with no problems. I made a thread on it before i got my amp and i was told that a regular instrument cable was all thats needed, oh boy do i feel like a noob.

TO THE MUSIC STORE!! *flys out window*
the instrument cable with melt from too much resistance that it can't handle, then your amp will not have something to run it's current through, then fry the amp.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Quote by Funky P
the instrument cable with melt from too much resistance that it can't handle, then your amp will not have something to run it's current through, then fry the amp.

That's only if it's a tube amp, and it's the output transformer that would blow on the amp.

Regardless of the potential damage of the amp head, the FIRE HAZARD from running a loud head (ESPECIALLY tube) at high volumes thru an instrument cable trumps and possible damage to the amp itself...
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
i dont think anyone answered his question

a speaker cable is meant for carring power, so the wires inside are thicker and usualy shielded as instrument cables are meant to carry a signal, so the power (1 volt or so for passive pups) is alot less.

i make my own speaker cables, cost me 11 dollars for 2. (1/4" plugs. i had 14 gauge shielded wire from my home theater installs)
Quote by Crunchmeister
That's only if it's a tube amp, and it's the output transformer that would blow on the amp.

Regardless of the potential damage of the amp head, the FIRE HAZARD from running a loud head (ESPECIALLY tube) at high volumes thru an instrument cable trumps and possible damage to the amp itself...

http://www.8thstreet.com/Product.asp?ProductCode=2120&Category=Instrument

Thats what im using, its like a 3 footer.
Last edited by TheFluffy at Jul 14, 2006,
Quote by Crunchmeister

thats right, i keep trying to forget the existence of ss heads.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?