I know the obvious answer to that question... PLAY PLAY PLAY.

But I have a 9-5 job and a girlfriend (that's like having another job). So I dont get to play guitar as much as I'd like. Which also means I havent been able to keep my fingertips hard and calussed. There are times when I play heavily; maybe for a couple hours. And my fingers will get hard, but then the next day they will soften up. Last night, for example, I did an hour and a half of bending exercises and my fingers felt TOUGH. But then the next day I wake up, take a long hot shower, go to work, and my fingers lose their hardness.

Is there something that a part-time guitarist can do to maintain finger toughness? I was considering bringing one of those big nail files that chicks use to work with me, and using it like sandpaper on my fingertips. Would that help to make them harder? Anything else I can do?
Try some (removable) glue..
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
that would work... also
get your fingers nice and soggy... perhaps thats where the girlfriend could help
and then play... it makes your fingers durable
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa
after a shover fingers are softer
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
What made me get callused fingers the fastest when I started playing was sliding my fingertips across the string as fast possible. Just have fun doing it too, you can make a decent weird sounding slide solo if u move and go fast enough. Worked for me.
And I've never heard of a bending exercise. I just bend the string and it works.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by GuitarSymphony
What made me get callused fingers the fastest when I started playing was sliding my fingertips across the string as fast possible. Just have fun doing it too, you can make a decent weird sounding slide solo if u move and go fast enough. Worked for me.
And I've never heard of a bending exercise. I just bend the string and it works.

Hmmm.. 2 good responses. and 2 completely retarded ones. Not bad I guess..

I tried the glue, but it gets flakey after it dries. Winds up getting crap all of the fretboard.

I guess the sliding thing would work find. However, it would mean sacraficing some musical melodies, for just making random noise.
I was like that when I first started and didn't devote much time to playing. I just played when I could and pressed down fairly hard on the strings to get my fingertips hard. It hurt when I pressed too hard, but it got them hard fast and kept them hard.
what worked really well for me was lots of sliding on the low round wound strings (the thicker and more jagged feeling the better) along with having a slightly high set action requiring more pressure, if you can stay fairly consistent (say an hour of playing a day) for about a month, then your callouses will stick around even when you take a couple of days off of playing (that is assuming once you come back to playing 3 days later, you play for 30 minutes or an hour)
i have the same problem as you..i play enough but my fingers ache after a long time...
~~Thin lizzy~~
the nail file thing works a treat just dont overdo it or it will become more hassle than its worth. it doesnt matter if your fingers are hard or not on the end too much, as long as it doesnt hurt when you play, then your all good
even if you have a really busy day just try to get fiev minutes in each day it will just keep your fingers at the level of hardness their at so you don't lose it in the morning
Jaco Pastorius used to put chicken grease on his fingers before he plays.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Quote by Evil_Empire24-7
Jaco Pastorius used to put chicken grease on his fingers before he plays.

eww, my strings would rust with that
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
^yeah i live in a place where guitar strings are very expensive... i wouldnnt do that
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Avoid contact with water... Wear gloves in the shower or something.

Water is the worst enemy to calluses... Playing with wet fingers, as opposed to some advice I've read in this very thread (what?), is your nemesis.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Callouses are the human bodies reaction to excess pressure on the fingers. You say you don't play that often, so there's no need for your fingers to make callouses to protect themselves from excessive playing. There are no shortcuts in the human machine. Nobody say masturbation.
Masturbation.

obviously.

hehe ;], but does it really matter if your fingers are hard? as long as it doesnt hurt right?
when ur fingers grow callace, they stay their for a long time, what are u talking about.
meow :3
Apply rubbing alcohol to your finger tips for a minute every day.
I heard that works. I never needed it.
I must be special, weird, or just flat out made to be a guitarist, lol. The first time I ever played my guitar my fingers got nice and hard. I played every day for a week straight, then got a job and I stopped for a couple months. My fingers stayed hard and calloused the whole time. When I picked up my guitar again, my fingers felt as if I had never stopped playing, so I guess I'm just special I guess, hehe.
does it happen to any1 after like 4 hours of [playing the metal rubs of on ur fingers and there silver
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
I've never encountered a problem like this before. The only way I know how to keep your calluses hard is to play, but you already know that. If you don't have alot of time, one thing that might help is if you practiced vibrato and moving it up and down the strings. It will hurt, but it will make your fingers stronger.
do callouses disappear after a while? ive always assumed that once u got them, they stay, and the more u play guitar, the harder they get.
i need to get a better signature.
New skin comes to replace dead skin - if you wait long enough without hardening them, they get replaced by new, soft skin.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
mine simply stayed, i have rock hard shiny tipped fingertips lmao.
maybe because whenever i am at home watching tele or relaxing i simply have my small acoustic in my hands fingering movements and stuff, not actually playing and it counts as lots more practice than one should get.
tap your fingers, on a desk, cardoor, anywhere you are
I hate this place, I love these chords
dont worry about it, as long as you can still fret notes focus on your playing, not how your fingers feel.

people get way too caught up in this crap, you should forget you even have fingers and just play
You could play a classical guitar since the strings are smooth and you don't really need callouses to play with the less abrasize strings.
It doesn't matter if your fingers are actually hard or not.
The point of building a callause is so you loose sensation in your fingertips,
thus relieving you of pain.

If it doesn't hurt to play for a while, you're fine.
And if it does, oh well.