Gibson SG Standard
17 43%
Don't Care
3 8%
OOH! SHINY RED BALL!
14 35%
Voters: 40.
Hi guys, I have another question.

I'm getting a new amp soon, either a vox ad30vt or ad50vt, and I'm thinking soon I'll get a new guitar too.

I thought I had my heart set on a Jackson RR3 for the longest time because they look so damn cool, but to tell the truth it doesn't really sound any better than my Epi LP special II, which was about 500 bucks cheaper.

Given the fact that I play Metal and softer stuff, like Death Cab, and given the fact that I'm going to keep the Epi LP (First Guitar, I gotta!! ... maybe I'll put new p-ups in it... anyways), which would be the better guitar for me to get, a fender strat, or a Gibson of some sort, preferably an SG standard (assuming that I can round up the money for both)?

Please vote and voice your opinions. Thanks everyone!
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
I wouldn't advise a strat for metal, because single coils can't get the crunch your probably looking for. Out of the SG or the Strat, I would suggest the SG for metal. Single Coils weren't meant for metal.

Thats just my opinion though, try them both out and see what you like.
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Strat
Laguna LG300CE Acoustic Electric
even if I put better pickups in the Epi LP Special? Cuz then that could be my "metal" guitar for now...

interesting though.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
yay for vox, anyways, i would recomend the gibson les paul worn cherry standard special, has i have one my self (only mines yellow). You won't need to worry about replacing pickups because it has the same kind as the supremes. its an awsome guitar which i got at guitar center for only $725. Its great for any kind of music and sounds good even through a champ 15.
i like the strat feel but i like the les paul sound. but if ur playin metal yeah i would get somethin with humbuckers but les pauls are hard to like swing around and stuff
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
^^ interesting, because I've heard lots of people disappointed with Gibson "Specials", as most people feel they payed for a brand name POS. But yea, I've thought about that too. Good to hear that though; I didn't know they made Standard Specials... I'll have to check that out.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
I would get an Sg or get a fat strat. Those have a humbucker in them, so you can play the metal as well.
If you've got an Epi Les Paul, stick some better pickups in it, keep that for metal and get Fender Strat. You could always get a strat with a humbucker in the bridge, but that kinda defeats the point.

And to anyone who says strats can't do metal... that's false. They can! Easily! Just got to put up with the hum...
yea, i was kinda skeptical at first, but really its an amazing guitar for the price, its just my opinion though, and you'll read nothing but good reviews on musician's friend and such.
if your gonna metal up your Epi...... then get strat, no better, versatile guitars :p foking love them....Sg if your not gona metal up your epi.....but strats are so cool :p fat strat always an option....a good fookin option.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
you were asking for it with the shiny red ball thing were'nt ya?? Ye as they've all said go with the SG or some sort of guitar with humbuckers...although as a cheaper option some new pickups in an LP special II (I have one as well) would sound good, espicaially as a short term fix, you knw till yuo can afford a gibson or similar
I dunno... Shiny red ball is getting up there... haha. Yea, I don't wanna get a strat w/ Hums in it, seeing as that defeats their whole 5-way-selector mumbo jumbo, which is one of the better-designed ideas of the strat IMO. Hmm.... Continue voting people, thanks for all the input.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
shiny red ball has more votes than the strat

my votes for the SG. If you want metal, you need humbuckers, and i agree, putting hums on a strat just wouldnt be right.. the SG can play clean, crunch, metal, or whatever else you may want. go for the SG

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
can you blame it? It's Shiny.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
fat strat
:P
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
this is were most people make thier mistakes.... pickups are not the guitar... and good pickups do not make a cheap guitar good... by changing the pickups you can only expect to change the tone not improve it. perhaps if you put an EMG in you would have a raw hollow distortion but the problem still remains that your pickups are recieving sound from a dull tone wood. your best bet is to just grab a new guitar straight up (gibson) so my vote goes for the sg. sg's are insane metal guitars but they arent to good for much else...if uve really got bucks get a gibson les paul, and strat + metal = disaster
Quote by punkerkid!79!
strat + metal = disaster

^ they disagree
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
shiny red balls catching up to the SG
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
yes yes it is. The only problem is the only way I can really afford a Gibson right now is to try and find a bargain on eBay, and we all know how sketchy that is with all those crazy chinese replicas and other such bull.
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Very different guitars, decide for yourself.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30