I realized that when ever I play guitar or bass my fretting hand is really tensed. I want to be able to relax my hand to be able to play more fluidtly and over all better.

When I start hold down the strings I press down on them, then my whole hand completely tenses.

How can I relax my hand wile still playing all the notes fully?
You just have to learn how to relax.

EDIT you could try frettng REALLY slowly and maybe doing stretches and chromatics to build strength
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by Ockeroid
I realized that when ever I play guitar or bass my fretting hand is really tensed. I want to be able to relax my hand to be able to play more fluidtly and over all better.

When I start hold down the strings I press down on them, then my whole hand completely tenses.

How can I relax my hand wile still playing all the notes fully?

Good thing is... you realise it's there. You are aware of it - now it's a case of knowing where it is and getting rid of it.

I recommend doing a complete stretch & massage warm-up before playing - then while you're playing locate the tension and work to get rid of it. Whether that's moving your arm to a certain spot to eliminate it, changing the angle of your arm or just saying to yourself ''Relax!''.

Another thing contributing to it might be you aren't fretting on the most effecient part of your finger, you're not playing on the part of a particular finger that lets you have the most strength with the least force. Search for that spot - when you hit, you'll know.

Another thing I've seen bring up tension in the fretting hand is people putting pressure on the neck with their thumb - it's not needed. The pressure you put on the neck just by placing your thumb there should be enough to add support to your fingers - ALL other counter pressure should come from your arm relaxing towards your body.

Try some of that out and see what happens
Thanks for the help!

At the moment I'm going to just go through all my stuff slower and make sure I'm relaxing my muscles while doing it.

Thanks for the thing about the thumb too! That'll make things a lot easier.
you'll get it soon enough!
Quote by GrEgUms1991
I call my penis 'Dr Danger'

Quote by mattyp90
A Chuck Norris roundhouse kick ... to the face, naturally.

If you've Noticed this Notice you will Notice that this Notice is not worth Noticing.