Okay i'm a gutiar nut in the sense that I want to keep collecting and using guitars, it seems to be about every 2/2.5 years that I feel it's time to make another purchase. I have had the following guitars

A) My first: Ibanez GRX40Z

B) My second, and most played: Gibson Gothic Explorer

C) My third, and newest: Ibanez JEM7V

Now the kind of music I like to play is mostly Prog Metal/Metal/Shred although i've been leaning towards more prog metal'ish stuff like Symphony X over straight neo-classical like Vai/Malmsteen.

Anyway, I was wondering with this in mind and a Sub 1k price tag, what would you suggest for my next guitar purchase?

Then i'll try and compile these suggestions and read some reviews, test some guitars out, and make my final purchasing decision.

INFO: For those that need it, AMP = JCM2000 Head with 2x12 Cab
Last edited by Sweetbabyjezuz at Jul 13, 2006,
well i guess you like the slim ibanez necks if you have a jem, so i would go for a top of the range ibanez Rg or S series for the tremolo and everything. i cant help you with the top quality models though because i never bothered looking as i dont have enough money!
You need a strat!

Try to play an Yngwie Sig, since thats more geared towards the music you play
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

i dont think he needs another ibanez, i would go for an ESP or jackson..
m-II or sl1
Quote by Cmogi10
You need a strat!

Try to play an Yngwie Sig, since thats more geared towards the music you play

Hmm I guess if I found it used it could go under my price gap.

Although isn't that signature all scalloped? While I do have the scalloped frets on my JEM, it's only the top few frets, and honestly it's not my favorite thing. After extensive playing with it I find that I still enjoy sans-scalloped like on my Explorer.
What amp you playing through???
An amp upgrade may actually be better for your tone than a new axe. Theres no point buying guitars for the sake of it. Get something that you'll actually use.
Quote by Malmsteen07
What amp you playing through???
An amp upgrade may actually be better for your tone than a new axe. Theres no point buying guitars for the sake of it. Get something that you'll actually use.

AMP = JCM2000 Head with 2x12 Cab
Ok so your amps pretty killer.
If i were you id save the money till you actually find you need something for your sound instead of just buying for the sake of it.

However if you really insist on buying, you could go for another amp which you could connect up with the Marshall, get a good clean tone (that also means you can boost the clean channel on the Marshall to get a nice crunch distortion), I got a JCM and the cleans arent exactly the greatest. Maybe a Fender, Gallion Krugers have nice cleans aswell.

If you get a guitar get some variety in your sound. Atm you just got close branched metal guitars, go for a strat or a semi hollow or something??? Maybe even an acoustic.
Quote by Malmsteen07
Ok so your amps pretty killer.
If i were you id save the money till you actually find you need something for your sound instead of just buying for the sake of it.

However if you really insist on buying, you could go for another amp which you could connect up with the Marshall, get a good clean tone (that also means you can boost the clean channel on the Marshall to get a nice crunch distortion), I got a JCM and the cleans arent exactly the greatest. Maybe a Fender, Gallion Krugers have nice cleans aswell.

If you get a guitar get some variety in your sound. Atm you just got close branched metal guitars, go for a strat or a semi hollow or something??? Maybe even an acoustic.

I was thinking about either a 7-string/baritone

Or something like a Scheceter C-1 Semi-Hollow.

I really have no interest in jazz at all (i did for about 2 months and that's it heh) so a total hollowbody doesn't really appeal at all to me in that respect.
Isnt your Jem already a 7 string??? Im not big on Ibanez's so i dont really know.
I don't personally like the Schecters but even so theyre still like just another metal guitar. Get some variety?

No interest in jazz. And your a shredhead. Get your ass some bebop man. Nothing tones up your chops like a bit o bebop... Charlie Parker, Dizzie Gillespie, John Coltrane. Or for some crazy ass guitar work check a bit of Django Reindhart or Charlie Christian. Djangos probably the most renowned jazz guitarist ever.

Why don't you look at a strat or a tele??? Nothing sounds as good as a strat through a JCM
Quote by Malmsteen07
Isnt your Jem already a 7 string??? Im not big on Ibanez's so i dont really know.
I don't personally like the Schecters but even so theyre still like just another metal guitar. Get some variety?

No interest in jazz. And your a shredhead. Get your ass some bebop man. Nothing tones up your chops like a bit o bebop... Charlie Parker, Dizzie Gillespie, John Coltrane. Or for some crazy ass guitar work check a bit of Django Reindhart or Charlie Christian. Djangos probably the most renowned jazz guitarist ever.

Why don't you look at a strat or a tele??? Nothing sounds as good as a strat through a JCM

Nah the 7 is just in the model name, it's a 6-string. The uv777 is the 7-string variation.

Yeah I have Parker/Coltrane/Christian music but meh. I'll probably check out the strat-o-casters though. I think there's 3 or 4 good models in my price range.
From what I've found models don't make too much difference with strats. You get some amaaaaaaaazing mexicans and some awful americans... It all depends on the individual guitar. I bought a mexican over a top of the range american when both were in my price range. Fender vary massively, so just play everrrrrrrrrrry strat you can. If your lucky youll find a real gem. I've played squiers (admittadly from the 80s not the newer ones) that are nicer imo than an american strat. It all depends on the individual guitar and how it fits your needs.