Hi everyone. I have been thinking lately about what my next guitar purchases will be. I would like a better and larger amp, and I would also like new pickups.

I have an Epi LP standard with stock pickups. I am told that these pickups, while not bad, could be easily replaced with some really nice ones. I was actually thinking about putting a really high-output, roaring metal humbucker in the neck position and a single-coil for clean parts in the bridge. Does this sound like a good idea to you guys? Have you ever known someone to do this before, and if so, how did it turn out?

Thanks for your input
I don't think that's a good idea.

(a) you're better with the hotter pickup at the bridge position, generally. an odd person prefers it the other way, but generally, you want a hotter pickup at the bridge.

(b) a single coil won't fit at your bridge position (unless by single coil you mean p90, and are willing to get a humbucker-sized one) without a lot of bother.

what tones are you after, what's your budget, and what amp do you have?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nope.....Metal pick up in bridge.... not a single coil in neck....you mean a humbucker which is cool as a signle coil?
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
If you replace a humer with a single how do you propose to fill the gap thats left...NB a guitar is the one place where polyfiller isn't the solution
^^^ polyfiller good suggestion.... but if you want a single coil... yeah go for a p-90 or something. your pickups sound like they gona have a very drastic change in sound with a **** hot bucker in bridge and very very soft single but i mean im no expert and it could work for damn sure.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't think that's a good idea.

(a) you're better with the hotter pickup at the bridge position, generally. an odd person prefers it the other way, but generally, you want a hotter pickup at the bridge.

(b) a single coil won't fit at your bridge position (unless by single coil you mean p90, and are willing to get a humbucker-sized one) without a lot of bother.

what tones are you after, what's your budget, and what amp do you have?

I am after a Metallica-type tone when I am playing with distortion. As for the clean parts, I really couldn't say - just something that will play loud and clear and allow the sound of the guitar itself to make it through the electronics.

I have no defined budget. I will be able to pay for most things, but when shopping for guitar stuff I like to narrow the options down into price ranges. I will always pay more for a product as long as it is truly superior to the (cheaper) alternative.

My amp is a Fender 15 watt practice amp. It's really not a bad little amp, and I actually rather like the built-in distortion on it (although I have to press the little hard-to-access button on it to toggle it on/off). I will deal with my amp situation after my pickups are taken care of, I think.

Thanks again
Quote by powerhalf
I am after a Metallica-type tone when I am playing with distortion. As for the clean parts, I really couldn't say - just something that will play loud and clear and allow the sound of the guitar itself to make it through the electronics.

I have no defined budget. I will be able to pay for most things, but when shopping for guitar stuff I like to narrow the options down into price ranges. I will always pay more for a product as long as it is truly superior to the (cheaper) alternative.

My amp is a Fender 15 watt practice amp. It's really not a bad little amp, and I actually rather like the built-in distortion on it (although I have to press the little hard-to-access button on it to toggle it on/off). I will deal with my amp situation after my pickups are taken care of, I think.

Thanks again

i think you should get a new amp before you get new pickups, amp > pickups
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by powerhalf

That is some of the best logic I've seen posted here. That's why I always suggest trying slightly dearer and cheaper stuff as well as the stuff in your price range- even if you can't afford it. You can see if something is worth the extra cash.

Assuming you can get a new amp as well:

you probably want something pretty hot in the bridge, more than likely ceramic magnet, and then something a lot mellower in the neck, probably alnico V (alnico II might be a little underpowered and mushy combined with ceramic, though it's still worth considering).

anyway, ones to look at would be (no order):

Swineshead xbucker bridge/runaway neck

Bareknuckle Miracle man set, or warpig set if you want the very modern (i.e. st. anger) metallica tone- or maybe get something like a mule for the neck position.

www.wolfetone.com - probably timberwolf for the bridge, one of the paf-type pickups for th neck.

www.highorderpickups.com - he winds to order.

www.billlawrence.com - probably xl500 bridge, 500R or C for the neck.

www.dimarzio.com - probably x2n bridge, paf (or similar) neck.

www.emginc.com - 81 bridge, 60 neck.

Bear in mind I haven't tried all of these (or in fact many!). It's up to you really, and i realise it's a pain getting to try many of them... I'd also advise getting a new amp first, since you can better decide what you need your pickups to do once you have a new amp...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?