my friend emailed me this series of pictures of a guy making a guitar out of very cheap plywood once he was done it Looked good but i bet it sounds like crap wut would a plywood guitar sound like?
like a Squier. Because that's basically what they're made of.

myspace.com/weasheroesband
Affinity Squiers are made from solid alder.
Last edited by tuberculosis at Jul 13, 2006,
Like my main guitar!

I am so freaking poor.

edit: It would also have about a two second sustain on open strings.
Last edited by Zofar at Jul 13, 2006,
I have a squier made out of mahogany! WOOO
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach
ha i might just buy some and make a rly crappy one put some rly old pickups in it lol sell it to some unknowing guy for a decent amount and he would have no clue
im poor too thats why i have that afinnity im getting an ibanez s470 hopeuflly in about a month
Stop double posting, and stop plotting to rip people off.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
^Posting twice in a row.

I have a plywood Harmony. It's a pretty "light" sounding guitar unplugged. Not much weight to it at all. I'm pretty sure it would sound halfway decent with better than stock pickups. Hell, Asomodai (sp?, a mod) put a Bill Lawrence X500 in his plywood BC Rich Ironbird and it sounds freaking awesome. Might be the combination of his amp, also.
Because it gets annoying after a while. Plus it just fills up so much room within the thread where you can actually edit your posts to say 2 different things.

And take notice, my friend. If they catch you enough, expect a report by someone or warning by a mod.
The Samick i'm refinishing right now is made of plywood. Learned that while sanding it down :P
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Hell, Asomodai (sp?, a mod) put a Bill Lawrence X500 in his plywood BC Rich Ironbird and it sounds freaking awesome. Might be the combination of his amp, also.

Well the amp was a Marshall mode four, The tone from the amp and whether its great or not is rather subjective.

Sounds great through most things.
Pedulla MVP5
Gibson Grabber
Warmoth Antigua PJ
Ovation Magnum 1
Quote by dbzrage3k
The Samick i'm refinishing right now is made of plywood. Learned that while sanding it down :P

i always imagined they were. they're too freaking light =/
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
ya what did he string it with rubber bands? plywood wouldnt even hav 2 seconds of sustain becuz it isnt bound that well
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
double post lol but after thinking about that samick thing, they probly bind it better, if he just used regualar sheets of plywood its a dead guitar its strum and silent
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
learn to use the edit button folks, please.

Btw, don't just assume, just go to a local fender dealer and play a squier bullet.

And the plywood they use is typically made from chips of hardwoods, glued together into a sheet abtou one and a half inches thick.
FYI, the best type of plywood is Finnish plywood. It's mostly voidless (meaning no space between chips/layers) and it usually has a double veneer.

My dad works with it, quite awesome.
^How does it compare to the usual guitar woods (Alder, Mahogany, etc.)?
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

I cant remember the exact model but Danelectro made a guitar from a wood composite and plywood. The wood composite was similar to chipboard. the guitar was reissued recently for around £300 and I think it got a good write up in a couple of magazines. Decent wood does make a difference but its not always a bad thing. I assume it was an electric guitar he was building because lots of acoustic guitars are made from plywood but obviously not the stuff you buy from B&Q. Some of these acoustics can be quite pricey.

I also think that if you took all the bits from a Fender strat including the neck and put it on a Squier so all that was left of the Squire was the body I doubt you would notice any difference.

RockinAlfie
Last edited by RockinAlfie at Jul 15, 2006,
hmm im not sure bout wut kinda strings he had on it, the site didnt have any media clips of him playing it so idk...
it wouldnt be that bad, i have an MDF body now thats gunna suck on the ole sustain.
Current playing with:
Cort x-6 -->Laney HCM65R

On Zakk Wylde's guitar.
Quote by anaoshak
look at all those knobs, he must have a mean tone.

Quote by Joey Walker
Bottle caps buddy, they are bottle caps
Quote by RockinAlfie
I cant remember the exact model but Danelectro made a guitar from a wood composite and plywood. The wood composite was similar to chipboard. the guitar was reissued recently for around £300 and I think it got a good write up in a couple of magazines. Decent wood does make a difference but its not always a bad thing. I assume it was an electric guitar he was building because lots of acoustic guitars are made from plywood but obviously not the stuff you buy from B&Q. Some of these acoustics can be quite pricey.

I also think that if you took all the bits from a Fender strat including the neck and put it on a Squier so all that was left of the Squire was the body I doubt you would notice any difference.

RockinAlfie

Danelctro made DC-59's (I think that's what they are) and Longhorns out of Masonite. Yes. the stuff that they fill aluminum doors with.
'01 Sunburst Strat>1953 Valco Supro

'06 Jazz bass>'78 Bassman 10

Simple rig fan.
Last edited by poochy at Jul 15, 2006,
Quote by Mui
^How does it compare to the usual guitar woods (Alder, Mahogany, etc.)?

I think my alder (I think) Stagg and Harmony Plywood Beast are comparable in sound and such. Right not I'm modding the Harmony. Put new knobs on it so far.
Bob Benedetto has become pretty famous for building amazing sounding guitars out of "trash" materials, including plywood, construction grade pine and other scraps. He made a few construction pine archtops that look horrible, but sound amazing.

And a '59 Danelectro DC was one of Jimmy Page's secret weapons...he rarely used a les paul in the studio.
^^^ that is just not true. the Dano was used for drop tunings and for that hollow thwang that it gave off. His real secret studio guitar was a stratocaster, but even still, The Les Paul was used the most. Jimmy really varied his amps though: Vox, Supro, Marshall, Fender, Orange, Hiwatts... tons. I believe Jimmy may have recorded Kashmir and In My Time of Dying with the dano

about the plywood thing, the Squier Bullet is made from small plywood sheets, about a couple centimeters wide. Theyre all laminated together
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

a proudly scarred member of the Windmiller's Club
Last edited by ZoSoII_13 at Jul 15, 2006,
so a plywood guitar would sound similar to a guitar made of alder?
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by ZoSoII_13
^^^ that is just not true. the Dano was used for drop tunings and for that hollow thwang that it gave off. His real secret studio guitar was a stratocaster, but even still, The Les Paul was used the most. Jimmy really varied his amps though: Vox, Supro, Marshall, Fender, Orange, Hiwatts... tons. I believe Jimmy may have recorded Kashmir and In My Time of Dying with the dano

just reporting what i read, and i gladly stand corrected if there are other sources that i have not yet seen.
oook...
CC, The plywood would not come close to alder tonally inless it was compressed into a very very hard laminate body.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..

Founding Member of the Capital Punishment to people posting about Guns N Roses in the Classic Rock Forum Club. PM me to join.

Aren't a lot of hollowbody guitars made from plywood? As long as it's good quality (go for marine or aircraft quality ply, it's expensive but worth it), it should be pretty decent as long as you know how to use it. And most speaker cabs are made from it so it can't be that bad sounding
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
mk ZoSoll i dont rly kno im just agreeing with people =)
Anything that isn't agathis or plywood is relatively speaking "good". Just depends on what you're looking for.

And what does this have to do with plywood?
lite ash is great wood to add snap to your tone, while keeping a full bodied sound. Used on teles and strats sometimes.
Long Live Rock

Be it dead or alive..