hey
ive got an ibanez rg320dx with an ibanez lo-trs II tremolo system on it
which to be quite honest
is crap?
i was wondering what i could replace it with as i know different tremolo units are different sizes and whatnot without having to modify the guitar at all.

would any of ibanez' edge tremolo units work?
The perfect retrofit for it is either, an Original Floyd Rose, Original Floyd Rose Pro (80%sure), Gotoh Licensed Floyd Rose, Schaller Licenced Floyd Rose. I'd recommend the Gotoh Licensed Floyd Rose since its cheaper than the others ($120+) and the material used to make it is also awesome.

If your studs are fine, then there's no need to replace them coz normally the studs metal is tougher than the knife edges. But if you still insist, then unscrew it and put the new ones in. They should fit perfectly.

There is also a slight probability that you need to order a new trem block from warmoth and install it to your new gotoh trem, or use the old trem block from the TRS II.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Jul 14, 2006,
there was a trem block? rofl.
i never got one o_0
is that perhaps why it never stays in tune?
i need to replace the nut on it too cause they wont tighten up enough for some reason, the allen key just slips out of the screw thing...
piece of crap.
ahhh
im gonna get a ibanez rg1820x prestige with a double edge tremolo with a piezo installed in it.... looks nice to me... opinions?
^ nah, the trem block is the sustain block at the back of the trem, i think.

so yeah, i second madpickin. The new studs should fit fine as you have a lo-trs II. Either OFR or gotoh, I say (though the gotoh may not fit so well because of the aforementioned sustain block).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i just have to comment on that diagram. Whoever was in charge of the numbering clearly had a "liquid lunch" that day...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ohh that thing i see now...
having recently got a job (last week)
im gonna start saving up for a RG1820x prestige (ibanez)
which has a double edge pro tremolo
are these any good?

EDIT: thanks for your help btw
Last edited by Godderz_24 at Jul 31, 2006,
Yeah, the Double Edge Pro on those are very similar to the Edge Pro, only that its made to ensure blending electric with proper acoustic sound.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
yeah its got an LR baggs piezo in it, how about stability and control? do they return to the same position etc when you have used the bar and does it go out of tune if you rest your palm on the bridge? that sorta thing
im a bit confused with the ibanez edge systems...
theres edge, edge pro, pro II, pro III blah blah, what's the difference? ive heard some people say the original edge are the best and others say the pro is, and the pro II, III etc arent so good?
The LR Baggs piezos work just fine, and the tuning stability is awesome. The only thing that you should doubt when buying Ibanez Prestige model is the finish, pickups and extra features, thats all.

Yes, the original Edge Pro (now) is the best. Back before 2003, there's the Old Edge Pro, and before that, there's the Edge and the Lo-Pro Edge, which are great and equally the same IMHO except for the preference. Many liked the Lo-Pro Edge better coz' it has lower profile and wont disturb their picking technique, some like the Edge better. All are made in Japan with maximum quality control using prime material as its base.

The Edge Pro II, which came later on, as Ibanez said, is just a cost reducing method (actualy its more of a profit raking kinda thing, they bullsh!t you in a good kinda way ). Its a slight upgrade to the old ****ly korean made Ibanez Lo-TRSs. Uses cheaper material and the tuning stability is questionable, knife edges wear off quick.

That leads us to the Edge III, which is more crap, also made in Korea. Ibanez's technique of avoiding to pay $17 to Floyd Rose coz its patent from the old Edge (which is designed by Ibanez). You can say that its equal to entry leveled trems like the Lo-TRSs.

*EPII and EIII which are made and put to Korean produced guitars, shipped througout the US may not/is not the same as Japan made guitar. I've been told that Fujigen factory in Japan made some of the RGs but they're stuck in Japan and not released to the world (better quality).
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Jul 31, 2006,
ah cool so the edge pro is good,
yeah im thinking of putting a pair of dimarzio evolutions into the RG cause i dont really like ibanez pickups and they do have a reputation for being not all that.
im going for a prestige ibanez cause ive played a more higher end rg before and its wayyyyy better than my current one, i think that had an edge pro on it actually...
how easy is it to change pickups? seeing as ive never tried it before and i dont really want to be paying extra for some other bloke to do it for me if its actually really quite simple?
well, first things first:

(a) your amp is pretty poor. You'll get the best bang for buck increase in tone if you buy a new amp instead of a prestige rg.

(b) dimarzios are very dear in the UK. I'm not saying not to get them, but you really have to think if you MUST HAVE the dimarzio signature tone. if you won't be happy if you don't have it, then get the dimarzios. if you're easy and just want a good set of pickups, I'd look into swinesheads (appreciably cheaper than dimarzios, and a lot better (than the ones I've tried), in my opinion), or bareknuckles (slightly dearer than dimarzios, but a lot better).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i dont use my amp's sound i just use it as a speaker pretty much, im going to get a zoom g9.2tt for my sound, tried it out the other day on pretty much same set up i have except it was a higher end ibanez, and a 100 watt mgdfx. but it sounded very good in my opinion and i didnt even get the chance to tweak patches... but ive heard the evos are very clear etc which i want, i think they're about 70 quid each in the UK which is quite a bit but im not too bothered... the problem with my current pickups is they lack definition and clarity which apparantly the evos offer, plus i really do like vai's tone... of course i'd need a carvin amp for that...
anyways i dont gig much at all and i dont use my amp when recording, so my sound is going to come from the guitar, thus im upgrading the guitar, not the amp... ill get around to that if i start gigging more
seriously, a new amp will improve your sound more than a zoom multifx. put the evos in your sz or something, and buy a new amp instead of a prestige ibanez.

I don't like the evos, they sound sterile to me. But if you're after vai's sound, then yeah, they're good.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah i know the amp will help with my tone quite a lot but liek i said im not gigging at the moment so my primary concern is recording, which i do direct from the pedal as my house its rather noisy and so micing up would get all sorts of noises with it lol
also my current rg doesnt play so nice, even after setting it up its still not as nice to play as a higher end model and the trem isnt so good, so IMO i think its a better decision for me to just upgrade the whole guitar instead of just the trem unit and pickups, but thats just me.
what do you mean by sounding sterile?
^ ok, fair enough.

sterile... hard to explain- i suppose, sounds a bit robotic and mechanical rather than alive and organic. that's the best way to describe it. too clinical, really.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah yeah i think i get you,
i dont know if you've ever played one but on the rg320dx the pickups are lameeeeee
they're really muddy, have basically no sustain, and no power at all, and considering its a supposed "metal" guitar which usually means high output, they're pretty sad excuses for pickups. ive recently adjusted the height of them to make them a little hotter but they still sound crap to me lol o_0 i hate having a lack of money...
^ aye, they aren't great. The ibanez pickups normally aren't all that hot, since they're more shred guitars than metal, and a lot of shredders use dimarzio paf pros, which aren't that hot. a lot of the ibanez pickups are kind of cheap rip-offs of them...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lol, yeah ive heard about them but im not sure if they're the sort of tone i want...
im not really a shredder as i cant play all that fast, and really cant sweep pick much or anything like that... im just... meh, a solo guitarrist?
^ if you truly want to get good pickups and save a bit of cash too, and aren't too bothered about nailing the vai tone 100%, swinesheads are really good. www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

i have a warthog/spotlight/condor in my rg, though you may want to look into different ones to get more of a metal sound (maybe venom or xbucker for the bridge, maybe runaway or warthog for the neck).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
cool ill take a look, i'd like the vai sound as i was thinking of getting a JEM 7VWH but decided it was too expensive to bother lol... also i know some pickups you cant actually get a clean sound with? ive forgotten which ones but i do like my clean tones too... although i would have the piezo pickup for that somtimes its not always the right sound for the job if you know what i mean
^ if you want good cleans, and good metal distortion, the handiest way to accomplish that is to get a high output bridge pickup for the metal, and a lower output neck pickup for the cleans.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i see, about that, ive read stuff about pickups balancing with each other or something?
what's with that? ive never really been into the electronics side of things before... i just play lol
aye, you don't want too much of a mis-match in outputs, though you can get away with quite a bit. really depends what you want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh right so is it like for example you have a very high output pickup in the bridge and a very low in the neck their volume levels wont be balanced?
thanks for all the help
^ the volume should be close enough- higher output tends to mean more gain (distortion), rather than more volume. But yeah, at its simplest, something like that.

But you can get away with a high output bridge, and a reasonably low output neck, as long as the neck can handle slightly more modern tones as well. Or you can even get away with a vintage-y neck pickup if you're solely going to use it for cleans, for example, and the bridge solely for distortion. So it won't really matter if the outputs match.

The biggest problem for matching up outputs is the in-between setting, where both pickups are on. If you use that setting a lot, then you want closer matched (in outputs) pickups.

I think.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah well in that case ill want them pretty well matched as i do use the center position quite a bit
s'nice for cleans, for some reason on my sz it sounds like an acoustic on cleans and like a strat when distorted, which is quite odd...
^ nah, that'd be pretty sensible. with both pickups on, it'll sound kind of hollow, as it's picking up the sound across a wide area.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
oh yeah i guess it would
its possible to mix the piezo and two electric pickups on that rg1820 isnt it? so you could have it on center position on the electrics and have the piezo on also?
would the piezo sound better with a decent acoustic sim?