Today I bought a new guitar from my local guitar store, it's a Tokai Love Rock (basically a Les Paul). Apparetly there amazing, and very close to Gibson, and I only paid £200 for it, because i traded in my Westone Flying V for £50 off. I tried a Gibson and Tokai and very close it was. Anyway was this a good deal, and does anyone have any tips for les pauls on keepin them save, what sort of strings I should use, etc?
Tokai Love Rock (Les Paul)
Valeta Acoustic

Line 6 Spider II 75
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
Zoom 606

Please Visit My Bands Myspace

www.myspace.com/thechoiceswemake
Last edited by Greggles at Jul 13, 2006,
Quote by Greggles
Today I brought a new guitar from my local guitar store, it's a Tokai Love Rock (basically a Les Paul). Apparetly there amazing, and very close to Gibson, and I only paid £200 for it, because i traded in my Westone Flying V for £50 off. I tried a Gibson and Tokai and very close it was. Anyway was this a good deal, and does anyone have any tips for les pauls on keepin them save, what sort of strings I should use, etc?

wipe it down with a cloth after u play it, polish it every once in a while, & keep it in the case.. thatll keep it in good condition..

as for strings, i use Gibson ultra light guage strings

Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Nice, If its a japan one (i doubt it at that price) you've got an amazing deal, if its a korean one you've still got a great deal they're usually even at like 300+
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
It's Korean, cos it says on the back of the headstock, and heres some pics.

Valeta Acoustic

Line 6 Spider II 75
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Zoom 606

no offence, but you bought a piece of ****, if you are going to buy a tokai, buy an old 70's one, tokai were the original copies, in japan, they made what i think the best ever strat copies, the new ones are made in korea and are poor quality

ok i didnt mean to say a piece of ****, what im saying is, you would have been better of saving and buying a gibson, and if you are comparing the new tokai's to gibsons you are mistaken, gibson are far better, if you said the old tokai's you might have made a bit more sense
Last edited by thatguy147 at Jul 14, 2006,
thatguy147, while you also appear to know your stuff, don't be so harsh.

Congrats on the new guitar, looks good.
OoOoOo u got told. looks like a piece of crap. hope you got it in sunburst.
Gibson SG (Cherry)
Gibson Double Neck SG (Cherry)

Musicman AMP

*Building my own guitar now*
My expirience with modern tokais is they are poorly constructed. Everything is glued on. The weight on the les pauls is so inbalanced. I almost boght an alpine white SG copy, but on closer inspection was really unsure whether it would last until i left the shop to be honest. I have tried a few older tokais but only a handful of modern ones.
Quote by metal_fretter
ok so iv started been shredding for a while now. and i was reading other threads and i was wondering, is shredding just playing random notes all over the fret board wherever i want. or am i supposed to shred in some kind of scale??
Quote by CustomCustom
The Tokai is a better copy than an Epi imo.

Indeed. Better than Epi. I'd take the 'as good as Gibson' comments with a HUGE grain of salt, really. The old Japanese Tokais of the 70s and 80s were generally accepted as being better than Gibson. But not these new Korean ones.

In terms of quality and components, they're about on par with Epi. I prefer the Tokai's mahogany body / maple top over the Epi's alder / mahogany sandwich. And Tokai pickups are better than Epi stock pickups. However, their quality assurance is a little lax at times, and you're probably more likely to hit a dud Tokai than Epiphone.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Sorry, i meant that when they were very close to a gibson, i meant by looks, not sound. I'd be stupid to put down gibson next to this thing, but this tokai will do me.
Valeta Acoustic

Line 6 Spider II 75
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Zoom 606

Quote by codybcool
thatguy147, while you also appear to know your stuff, don't be so harsh.

Congrats on the new guitar, looks good.

that is why i edited my post........

you are right they are similar to the gibson les pauls because they have the "open book" headstock, i would not be suprised if there were gibsons being produced in the tokai factories, gibson leave the company tokai use their open book headstock as a deal for producing some guitars in their factory, if you notice alot of the modern copies do not have the open book headstock, this hasnt been done since the lawsuit era, 70's

good luck with your guitar mate,
I actually just tried one of those out on wednesday and it was pretty nice but it felt weird because im not used to LP's but it was still cool.
Do you know how much it was there, where you tried it out, I want to see if that was the right price i paid?
Valeta Acoustic

Line 6 Spider II 75
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Zoom 606

oh well im in canada and it was like $649, it was like an amber flame top, I could tell it was a higher end model because they had some other cheaper ones that had a plain finish and you could just tell they were cheaper.
About £310, and i paid £250, so it could be same 1 you played
Valeta Acoustic

Line 6 Spider II 75
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Zoom 606

Quote by thatguy147
no offence, but you bought a piece of ****, if you are going to buy a tokai, buy an old 70's one, tokai were the original copies, in japan, they made what i think the best ever strat copies, the new ones are made in korea and are poor quality

ok i didnt mean to say a piece of ****, what im saying is, you would have been better of saving and buying a gibson, and if you are comparing the new tokai's to gibsons you are mistaken, gibson are far better, if you said the old tokai's you might have made a bit more sense

Don't believe what tahtguy147 says.

He claims to own a 1976 MIJ Fender Strat and he got his lying ass owned in the Older Squiers thread.
better pics ??
Epiphone les paul custom
Epiphone les paul 56' reissue goldtop
Custom Telecaster
Boss ME-50
Digitech flanger
Digitech Hot Head
Marshall MG100DFX

Unmarked P-bass
Johnson J-style
Aria STB jazzbass
Fender Rumble 100