Alright, i want to change my pickups in my Jackson RR3, because the super distortion in the bridge just isnt working for me. its far too muffled. I was considering buying a tonezone, but then thought about buying the Zakk Wylde EMG 81/85 set. Any suggestions would be helpful. i also want to know, if i buy the EMGs would the battery fit in the control cavity?
EVH
The Duncan Distortion has less bass and more treble than the Dimarzio SuperD with the same high output, or you can go all treble with an EMG81

thats the drawback to a RR in finding a spot for the battery
well i really like to focus on my mids, thats why i have hesitation with EMG's cuz my friend has a ESP edwards with both 81's and it sounds real weak to me.. it seems like your my man when it coems to questions, maybe i should just ask you from now on.
EVH
Thanks Ive been playing since 1982 and have owned over 20 electrics with alot of different pickups in my quest for tone. I dont have much exp with the new breed of pups like Evolutions, Breeds, etc. so I try to help from what I know. Ive owned SD Invaders, Dimarzio SuperD's, Duncan Distortion, JB, 59, jazz, CustomCustom, Gibson PAF, 490R, 498T, 500T, EMG 81, 89, 85, SA singles, S singles, Ibanez V7, V8, IBZ INF Pro, Ibanez QM1, QM2(which suprisingly I think Im keeping in my bubinga top S), Tone Zone (muddy and not quite enough output for me), stock USA Dean (in a snakeshin 1 hum metal strat), stock Aria Pro in a Billy Gibbons ZZ Custom, USA Fender strat singles, Jackson actives from the 80s in a neck thru USA Charvel model 6, and prob some more. Bare Knuckles and Swinesheads seem to get rave reviews here but being british pups I havent had the chance to play any.

My prob is Ive never had enough free $ to get a top end Gibson or PRS. I had a LP Studio but when forced to pick I chose my US Hamer for its tone (rosewood fretboard vs. ebony), fret acces--the double cut allows 22nd fret access easily, and build quality. I had a US strat, 3 tone sunburst with rosewood, and loved it until I got it home and switched to the distortion channel, it went back after 2 days. I had an RG570 but hocked it to pay bills for $400 and didnt get the $ until 2 days late and the pawn shop wanted $750 for it back, F them, it had EMG 81/SA/89 pups, which is why the bubinga Prestige S I have now with wizard neck is so dear to me that and it was a gift from my brother. Im in the market for a good LP copy prob a Korean Tokai from Canada then Im done unless I hit the lotto.
The original evo pickups get one of the punchiest most defined sounds Ive ever heard.
Im changing my bridge humbucker from a JB to that in a few weeks.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
thanks Zach, ill check those out too. but customcustom, That is quite the assortment. i thought i knew what i was doign with guitar. but you're a master. Im glad someone like you who has such experience can help people like me out. About your RG570, do you think the V2, S1, V1 pickups can be outdone. i honestly love my ibanez's sound but i would want a better sound if that were possible. How did the EMGs sound in that?
EVH
The EMG 81/85 is the exact setup Kirk Hammet has on his guitar so tht'd give u an example of what ur guitar would sound like - only get tht setup tho if ur only going to play metallica stuff tho.
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
For metal it was a good combo it was quite a bit brighter (the 81 in bridge) than an 81 in my LP Studio so I would turn the treble down at the amp a bit. The 85 might have been better in the bridge on a 570 as most basswood/bolt on maple/floyd guitars are alot brighter than a Paul. The 85 also has a higher peak output than the 81 but Ive never heard one in the bridge yet.
thank you, but i dont think EMGs ar my thing, i keep going back and forth, but like you said nothing but treble.
EVH
Through a 5150 all but the worst pups should sound pretty good, but the Duncan Distortion always sounded crisper than the SuperD to me. The Evo suggestion above might be nice as well.

You could and I have done this, order from Musicians friend, install and see if you like them. If you dont cut off the soldered tips of the wires then restrip them and the jacket so it looks new like when you bought them keeping all packaging and instructions, tell them you never installed it, you sold the guitar or something, and mail it back for like $8 for a FULL refund.
haha, yeah thats a good idea. i might try that. Having a SD in the bridge and a dimarzio in the neck wont effect anything, will the output be all out of whack?
EVH
Quote by IbanezRG570
haha, yeah thats a good idea. i might try that. Having a SD in the bridge and a dimarzio in the neck wont effect anything, will the output be all out of whack?

I was wondering the same thing too.
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.