Hi, I'm wondering if it would be possible to mold the back for a homemade stratacoustic from the fiberglass that people use too make custom car bumpers from?
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Quote by C.C. Deville
nothing to do with your problem but wuts a luthier?

Someone who makes guitars from scratch, usually for a living.
I don't see why you couldn't make a back out of fibre glass...

it might sound like a load of rubbish tho.. you'd be a better judge of that though as your a "luthier" so it's your job to make guitars
I hardly make any money from this, i'll get the odd little bit from doing a setup for a friend or stuff like that but nothing else.
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Quote by doive
I don't see why you couldn't make a back out of fibre glass...

it might sound like a load of rubbish tho.. you'd be a better judge of that though as your a "luthier" so it's your job to make guitars

The fender ones are made from it. I just dunno how the stuff i can get will compare in strength.
do some google searches on it. You'll need some bracing, but you can buy real fibreglass stuff, don't try using Bondo or anything, it won't give you a good result. Buy some stuff from an online business or something, you can get it cheaper, with better and safer materials than Bondo kits
a quick google search turned up this site for me. Here's a link to it's beginer help/educational section. The info looks pretty good http://www.fibreglast.com/contentpages-main-Learning-Center-283.html keep this thread going, as i'd be very interested in seeing what you do with this. Fiberglass is probably the next material i will be trying. Does anyone what effect wrapping a wood guitar with a fiberglass shell would have on it's durability e.g. would it prevent wood movement/finish craking? how about effects on it's tone?
you should do a mahogany or maple body and then do a layer of fiberglass as the top part so you will have good wood as the heart of the guitar, and then the look of fiberglass around it.