Page 1 of 3
What are your thoughts on musical genius? Is there really such thing as musical genius i.e., is there some innate quality that allows one to have an advantage over another?
An advantage maybe, musical genius? Absolutely NOT.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
No. if you knwo anyone you consider a musicla genius it's probably because they'v ebeen playing since they were young and have had time to learn all the theory
Quote by scheck006

... Where does it prove he was a genius by birth?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
how do you, explain things like perfect pitch, its alot different to being a genius, but having such hearing abilities to recognise individual notes at an age of 4, and to be able to instantly sit down and play a those notes on a piano at that age...(like my aunty did)...obviously has some thing to do with whats in the genes
Quote by resiliance

... Where does it prove he was a genius by birth?

why must you argue something so painstakingly obvious? of course he didn't know theory on the ride home from the hospital, but can't you at least give him some credit for being incredibly giftedby his genetics?

You couldn't make any normal person a musical genius like him at 12 years old by just teaching them theory.
nobody is born with perfect pitch or any special "natural" talent...malmsteen says he was born with it and never played exercises, i call bull****...beethoven said he never studied any composers so that he would be totally original, i call bull****
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by scheck006
why must you argue something so painstakingly obvious? of course he didn't know theory on the ride home from the hospital, but can't you at least give him some credit for being incredibly giftedby his genetics?

You couldn't make any normal person a musical genius like him at 12 years old by just teaching them theory.

How could it have been genetics though? His parents didn't have anything to do with music...Could it be possible that Jay just loved music so much, and from such a young age, that it came to him unquestionably and was channeled through him?
Quote by scheck006
You have to be born with perfect pitch. Nobody develops it.

That's certainly been proven wrong, a number of times.
Quote by Ablazean
That's certainly been proven wrong, a number of times.

it sure has, will you please stop blindingly making false assumptions? this is exactly what caused the whole debate in the anchoring thread
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by scheck006
are you saying that 2 short people can't have a tall son?

Yeah, pretty much. Their son won't be too much taller than them, and definitely not one of the tallest people in the world. This Jay kid is reported to be one of the greatest composers though...I don't think your example works Sheck.
Quote by Ablazean
Yeah, pretty much. Their son won't be too much taller than them, and definitely not one of the tallest people in the world. This Jay kid is reported to be one of the greatest composers though...I don't think your example works Sheck.

so are you saying 2 white people cant have a black child....?

coz that hah happened, and a distant relative had been black, like a great great....grandparent, and that gene had passed down, and emerged in this particular child
You can have an advantage e.g perfect pitch but i think the key thing is to be exposed to and allowed to play music from and early age when you still developing and learning fast.

There's no conclusive studies to show that perfect pitch is in born and my personal theory is you develop it within the first 2-3 years of life
Quote by quinny1089
so are you saying 2 white people cant have a black child....?

coz that hah happened, and a distant relative had been black, like a great great....grandparent, and that gene had passed down, and emerged in this particular child

we're not talking about the gene for skin color here, which is determined by more than one gene anywho...some traits are controlled by more than one gene, so chances are two white people with white mothers and fathers aren't very likely to give birth to a black child...as for the "perfect pitch" or "natural talent" issue, there is no gene that would give any person an advantage in these fields at all, natural selection doesn't work that way..."sally here needs to know the difference between F# an A so she'll have perfect pitch" nope, not how it works, it must be developed
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

but its all to do with the ear, and its sensativity to different pitches, there WILL be genes to determin that, like im pretty sure there are genes that determine that you will have bad eyesight. All perfect pitch is, is the ability to recognise individual notes, which is determined on the sensativity of the ear.
everybody is born with the ability to obtain perfect pitch (with the exception of people with abnormal dna sequences) but they still need to find out how to utilize it...the same concept with psychic ability; everybody is born with it, but few actually delve into it and utilize the ability to their advantage
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by axe_grinder247
everybody is born with the ability to obtain perfect pitch (with the exception of people with abnormal dna sequences) but they still need to find out how to utilize it...the same concept with psychic ability; everybody is born with it, but few actually delve into it and utilize the ability to their advantage

yes, i believe i did, merely relating the concept of being born with certain traits and abilities
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

ugh never mind...read an article on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_energy

and click on the links
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

i know, thats why i said:

Quote by quinny1089
things like perfect pitch, its alot different to being a genius, but...
so, what about child prodigies? Mozart?
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
^Forced to study and be immersed in music from a very very early age.

Birth my ass.

And scheck006: yes you can.

Click.
^was he? never knew that.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Freepower
"I did not come easily by my art...no-one has studied the great composers more than I".

Remember a similar topic to this in the "Memphis Monster" forum? I see we share the same belief, to some degree.
well yeah, its kind of like a genetic thing. Some people are born with great eyesight, some not. So the ones with great eyesight do better in say, shooting a gun. People with better sound perception do better with music.
Quote by axe_grinder247

Yes this is correct. There was a show on tv about this last week. There were these kids born deaf and retarded and such to the point where they cannot even dress themselves yet they have extraordinary musical abilities. It's all about utilizing that part the brain that most people don't know how to access.

As for having a musical gift, I believe it is mainly in the upbringing of the child and what it is exposed to in the world of music.

It'll be millions of years before we can fully understand the human brain.
Musical Genius?
Beethoven duh
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by axe_grinder247
nobody is born with perfect pitch or any special "natural" talent...malmsteen says he was born with it and never played exercises, i call bull****...beethoven said he never studied any composers so that he would be totally original, i call bull****

Everyone is born with perfect pitch*.

Some (id est, most) people lose it in the primary stages of cognitive development.
Quote by DiatonicD
Everyone is born with perfect pitch*.

Some (id est, most) people lose it in the primary stages of cognitive development.

Aye, but you can get it back.
Page 1 of 3