Page 1 of 2
Is difficult in punk.

Seeing as how musically simple punk is, it's rather hard to be innovative in the area. I mean, just about every single 5th Chord Progression has been done. Half the singers out there sound alike. It's just difficult to be something new without dressing like an idiot.

How do you all go about making your ****ing music sound like something that hasnt been done before? I think it's bull**** that i sit down and on the top of my head play some chords and after a few times playing them, I realized they've already been done by Greenday?!

I think I'm just having horrible writers block.
Well if you apporach it as something formualic then of course it's going to come out like that. Eighth note downstroked powerchords haven't been original since the Ramones came about.

Try some fancy rhythms, new chord voicings, even call and response shtick, in other words, get funky and try to think outside the box.
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Jul 13, 2006,
if you look at some of the stuff green day did, like a song off nimrod, i forgot what it was called b/c i stopped listening to it, sounds a lot like Rancid's "disorder and dissarray" off their ...And out come the wolves cd.

I don't if i get bashed for refrencing greenday, b/c if you look at it, most of those into a scene grew up on green day like me, and then went on to the better stuff.
You gotta go outside your genre for inspiration, sometimes.

There's an early goth band called Coil, who had the whole Marilyn Manson look long before Marilyn was around (as did Alien Sex Fiend).
A friend of mine is a huge fan of Coil and he showed me how a large number of their songs are ripped off of Steely Dan songs !
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Ya like they said, dont aproace it saying "I have to be punk". Just write whatever comes naturaly, and if its punk thats great. Also, think about it, almost all big bands became that way BECAUSE they did something different. So dont bass you writing on one particular thing or band for that matter. Good Luck
thats why indie is so much better.
peace & chemicals
Go listen to a Minutemen record, or like someone else said, take influences from something else, don't necessarily look towards the obvious when creating.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Chaise Boogie
Now that I think about it, my statement fits for every genre. Originality is dead.

Originality isn't dead. There's things that people are doing that haven't been done before, it's just that no one likes it.
do what feels right. who cares if it's punk rock. Make it your punk rock.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by andrewbiles
Go listen to a Minutemen record, or like someone else said, take influences from something else, don't necessarily look towards the obvious when creating.

The Minutemen were the first thing that popped in my head when I saw this thread title. Just do like everyone said and think outside of the genre. If you're tired of powerchords, then find a new chord shape. If you're tired of everyone's voices, then give yourself a goofy voice like Jello.
^ or you could not try and emulate things that were done in the 80's.
More solos.

Write more "what to do" political lyrics, instead of "bitching about" political lyrics.

Growling vocals :O ! during ska-esque upstrokes

See just throw stuff together, some people won't like it, some will.
I really don't think there's enough fans for ska/punk anyway. Everyone likes post hardcore and screamo and what not. We have no more people.
Play while your not paying full attention to what you're doing, like while you watching tv.
When i do that i just hear myself play something i like that i didnt even realise i was doing
youre such a WH0RE!
Quote by hardrock1315
That's called ska-core, and it sucks.

Neither of those statements are correct.
Quote by opivy21
The Minutemen were the first thing that popped in my head when I saw this thread title. Just do like everyone said and think outside of the genre. If you're tired of powerchords, then find a new chord shape.

Just listening to a Green Milk from the Planet Orange CD, and it got me thinking, where are the long songs in punk music? I couldn't think of many that lasted too long. But then I guess its hard to keep up the same pace for seven minutes or so. Just try mixing the music up, come up with something that you rarely hear but might be a slight clone of something else. Ok, it won't be original but it'll start you thinking in different directions.

Quote by ScummerVacation
That is why Wire's "Pink Flag" album is so great. Yet so overlooked.

'Chair missing' over 'Pink flag' All recently re-mastered though so hopefully a new generation of people will give them a chance.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
It's bull**** how people say originality is dead. Hey why dont you make a whole cd of heavily distorted triad chord voicings?
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
Quote by andrewbiles

Just listening to a Green Milk from the Planet Orange CD

That band is soooo good. That's an excelent example on how to expand on punk rock. Lighting Bolt is another good one.
^ Exactly. Its not like your music has to be 2/3 minute power chord songs with the same vocal style as every band. Take a different approach but keep your punk attitude and beliefs showing in the music.

RateYourMusic
It's a very simple approach.

Be a transvestite like W/Jayne County or Sargasm.

Take 1950's pop songs, and kill them.

And play rock and roll guitar with weird stuff over it.

How about East Bay Ray meets the Stray Cats, huh?

Also, a lot of people don't realise that you can just play one chord for a verse and still have a melody. The Pistols do this quite a lot, and that works.

Two bassists?

Bongos? **** yes.
It's hard to be original, but it's easier to be innovative, and there's little difference between the two in the long term.

The only groundbreaking thing I'm trying to do any more is to be recognised as the most offensive lyricist of all time. Guess what? I think it's slowly working.

"The minute someone says you can't do something, YES YOU CAN." - Johnny Rotten. That sums it up.

Oh yeah, also use 7th, 9th and mb5 chords and stuff.

And stop fast songs, so you can do a slow, epic guitar solo. That's an extremely punk thing to do.

There was this one guy in the manchester punk scene who would piss off his audience by turning his back to them and doing flamenco solos. Brilliant.
If I like something the way it sounds, I'll listen to it even if it's not original. The problem that lies with that is whether or not I get bored of a band sounding similar to another, but whatever. Good music is good music.
Quote by Chaise Boogie
Now that I think about it, my statement fits for every genre. Originality is dead.

I agree.
However, when I say it, everyone tries to pin the ole "bitter old man" tag on me, but I've been saying that we ran out of ideas in the 80s, since 1991.

Almost all forms of art have been re-treads for a long time.
No-one talks about it.
And people get very offended when you bring it up.
They'll swear that there's new things happening, but can never point out anything truly new and original.

There is nothing new under the sun.
To be honest, I would give anything to be proved wrong about that.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
this thread brings back a thought.

you know how punk is (partially) this rebellion against these rock bands that were boring, not outspoken ...and rock was also a rebellion...and so was blues.

what will be the next big rebellion?
well, indie is kind of a rebellion against hip hop and RnB, but in a less brash way, very slowly

I think that there'll be a gradual, and then hard gathering of raw rock and roll groups. Like the dolls, but probably without the drag.

And I'll be at the forefront of it with my guitar, and songs instructing kids to rape the dead. What a 21st century role model, huh?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I think that there'll be a gradual, and then hard gathering of raw rock and roll groups. Like the dolls, but probably without the drag.

If there's no drag, I honestly don't see the point.
As david said make punk rock your own thing. punk can be almost whatever you want, there will always be other people that understand your ideas. When the Black eyes first started playing there were groups of people who thought it was total crap and there were groups of people who saw it as a beautiful new thing. Dont restrain yourself to anything dont be a slave to one styling and one genre. listen to annihilation time they could write hardcore songs and they can write rock n roll songs alot of people are afraid of that cause its different.

I just started doing my own thing a few weeks ago. I either play guitar or bass depending on what the songs gonna be like and my friend plays drums we both sing. each song is different and in its own style were not really true to any genre we call it punk rock though. we thought we kinda sucked but our friends heard us and said that it was really new different and good stuff. just play what sounds good to you. your sick of no originality do it yourself.
my view is that if you are having this much trouble writing punk, then you should consider writing in a different style
Quote by LoudnSnotty138
we thought we kinda sucked.... just play what sounds good to you.

(I do understand what you're saying, I just found that funny)

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles
(I do understand what you're saying, I just found that funny)

haha i know i never read over what i wrote. you know what i mean. you know what your going for but it comes out a little crappy at first.
switch timings maybe?

fast drums, slow guitar and the other way around...

blues and funk in one song?

i dunno, i'm a boring punk kid
I find that the music I like best is music that sounds like nothing else I've heard. I really liked Social Distortion because I'd never heard that country/punk mix before. Also, yesterday I bought this magazine that came with a 30 song CD on it, and I heard Angel City Outcasts. To me, their sound was very different, and I can't stop listening to the one song. Just go for a different sound, maybe combine two different genres.
Zehr, send me recordings ASAP.... also the bassist from Alabama Jihad is now Nestor Makhno's bassist until we break up.
Do what I do, combine the sounds of particular genres or bands.
Just play what you think sounds good. If you find a chord progression has been done by the ramones, play it faster than the ramones, chuck in a fast-paced blues riff, play a black sabbath-style solo.
Most punk bands could cover Johnny B. Goode, Paranoid, and Psychotic Reaction one after the other without sounding out of place.

Look what nirvana did by mixing their favourite musical styles. Noone had played music like that before, and although people have tried, noone has played music like that since.
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Page 1 of 2