Poll: Which one would you rather be?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one would you rather be?
Rhythm Guitarist
51 48%
Lead Guitarist
55 52%
Voters: 106.
When you are in a band, which would you prefer to be? I, myself would rather be a rhythm guitarist. I hope this is the right forum.

Note: Lead and Rhythm guitar respectively
my band = no set rhythm / lead guitarists ... sometimes i play lead sometimes i play rhythm, works better that way.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
Quote by ##_Guitar-newb
my band = no set rhythm / lead guitarists ... sometimes i play lead sometimes i play rhythm, works better that way.

yeah it does
Agile AL-3000 Cherry Sunburst
Fender American Strat HSS
1981 Yamaha FG-335II
Crate V1512 (USA made)
Fender Frontman 15R
Dunlop Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR EVH Phase 90
Ibanez TS9 w/ Keeley Baked Mod
Boss SD-1
Boss DD-3
rythym
i like rythym part better, and plus what starts off a good song, a kick ass riff, then comes the solo

ha
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
I play mainly rhythm but like doing a bit lead when i get the chance. i just find for the styles of music i like the lead parts are just too difficult.

why not combine a bit of bith and play bass improvise a line and play it as a bass rhythm (NB works better without a drummer behind u)
Why must we have to designate what a guitar player plays before a song is even written. I personally beleive that that you should have just two guitar parts, by setting a lead and rythm guitarist your setting up for open mindedness, where the lead player will refuse to let the other guitarist have a solo because he's the "lead". and vice versa.
depends, if im singing lead, i defintely like to play rythm. But I absolutely can't do chord progressions and stuff to like lead guitars.
whatever feels right for that particular song. sometimes i play lead, sometimes rythym. sometimes we'll pick up dueling leads. sometimes we'll have a thundering two-guitar rythym. depends on the feel of the song.
Both. I would rather either trade rhythm and leads with another guitarist, or cover both rhythm and leads by myself.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I def like rhythm more but the band I'm goin to maybe join wants me as lead because I'm "better" than the other cat there.... but I believe the rhythm guitarist controls the song; when you're improvising and you throw in a riff, the band follows, including lead. But if the lead solos in a completely different key or style it sucks.
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
My persona is more of a passive one so naturally, I play rhythm. Also I'm not into the whole "I'ma Badass, I can Shredzordzzzz". I'll leave the horrible sloppy leads to my friend.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
They both have their ups and downs. Rhythm guitists generally get more satisfaction from their work knowing that they're the rock that the entire band is built on. On the other hand, rhythm guitar isn't as good cause you don't get as much spot light and attention.

Lead guitarists tend to take all the focus from the rest of the band, which is why the same person should never be lead vocal AND lead guitar - it kills the other band members unless they're all mindless drones. and on the other side, lead guitar often requires alot more technical skill than rhythm guitarists
I gave rock n' roll to you

Anti-thayer
At the moment I'm both. With a second guitarist in the mix I prefer to be rhythm, although the general vote is that I should be lead.
I think the key thing people overlook is that a rhythm guitarist should have a strong sense of rhythm. It seems so obvious, but I've gone out and seen a tonne of bands with rhythm guitarists that throw the band off due to poor sense of timing and so on. This is why I'm reluctant to be lead in our band, I feel I have a decent sense of rhythm whereas our other guitarist is less natual at this. I think rhythm guitarists really stick the whole band together, and of course even though each element of the band is important, if the rhythm guitarist isn't up to scratch then I think the damage can be huge.
So, I guess my vote goes to rhythm!
I'm seeing myself as a Rhytm/Lead guitarist.

I can play some soloing, but I'm not especially good. But I'm quite good at making riffs.
So I'm mainly a Rhytm guitarist.
Founder Of "Mick Ronson Is an extremely Awesome Guitar Player" Fanclub.
PM me To Join.

Quote by RHDIII
as we all know emo music is basically rock and roll fully evolved to its highest potential

wtf?
I sing... and it's darn hard to sing and play lead at the same time. So, yeah... going with the majority. Sad that the largest amount of people in this thread spelled rhythm incorrectly.

Quote by ace man
They both have their ups and downs. Rhythm guitists generally get more satisfaction from their work knowing that they're the rock that the entire band is built on. On the other hand, rhythm guitar isn't as good cause you don't get as much spot light and attention.

Lead guitarists tend to take all the focus from the rest of the band, which is why the same person should never be lead vocal AND lead guitar - it kills the other band members unless they're all mindless drones. and on the other side, lead guitar often requires alot more technical skill than rhythm guitarists

It often can require more skill, but often utilizes very little, just as all instruments do.

But that's okay, because technical skills are vastly overrated.
Last edited by pratt121 at Jul 16, 2006,
They are both equal in my opinion. I like the idea of extended soloing, but I also enjoy throwing some nice chords together, because most people remember your chords in a song, not your solos.
If I had to choose, I'd go rhythm b/c you can add so much more than just strumming chords up and down.
Rhythm, as I sing in my band as well, so playing lead would kill me. But if the other guitarist writes a song which he wants to sing, then I will most likely play lead. Works well, but I enjoy rhythm most.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
In my band there are two guitarists. There's me who is good at rhythm and good at improvisation on leads, and the other guy who is good at rhythm, sucky at improvisation, but has amazing lead chops. So I usually play improvised, on-the-spot sorta lead and he plays the well thought out crazy shred leads, and we switch off from song to song. It just works best without set roles, I think.
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.
Lead is just more fun, however, I'll do whatever is necessary to make the song sound best.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
Ya i usually play the rhythm as the other guys chops are a tad better than mine, and i do backing vocals so sometimes im strapped to the mic so its easier for him because he doesnt do backing vocals. But most of the time unless its blisteringly fast we share go back in forth h will play the rhythm will i play the little lead fill some times its dueling guitars which is bad ass. or i play the rhythm as he solos. We are both very content with our roles in the band it probably helps though that were best friends. so ego isnt really a problem
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
I sing and play rhythm but we do have a few songs that I will throw the fills in between verses. Some lead if its between verses but Im working on doing some small licks during the verses. My vote is for both. Even a good lead player should learn the rhythm of the song to help with the timing of his leads.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
I write everything in my band so I can and do play both. I love lead though because nothing can compare to improving live. Since I write all of the guitar parts I know the rythym better and can solo better.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
One should be able to play both lead & rhythym almost equally. Both are essential to playing music IMO.
Although I prefer lead of course...
I do both, but I still would rather be lead.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah