Hi, I'm new to this forum and have recently entered my research on lead Guitar, scales and modes.

Say I have learnt the 5 shapes of the Phyrigian mode. and the first shape begins on G. Does that mean that this shape can only be played over G chords.

Likewise say the second shape begins on A sharp, does that mean it can only work over A sharp chords?

Thanks, I know what I have wrote may sound stupid and maybe not even make sense, but help would be appreciated all the same.
Well, im not sure tbh.. i dont think it matters, i THINK, i could be wrong but it might probably work for all the chords that go togehter in that group
FOR EXAMPLE

if u had a song of G,F,D those chords go together so a solo in either a G,F,D phgian should work for those chords..i could be wrong thouh..more options than jus tthose 3 chords too lol.
Last edited by CraigKing at Jul 13, 2006,
Quote by Fruscianteac
im sayn i dont kno anything technical i just kno how to play sorry cant help ya

and the relevance of this post is...?

learning a mode or scale in all of it's shapes would be most efficiently applied to the major scale, which would yield seven patterns that belong to the seven modes...i don't really understand your question, it just doesn't make sense to me...no scale is limited to just one chord, but may best fit in a particular situation...i don't really get your question, perhaps you could rephrase it

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Thanks for the links and stuff. I could rephrase myself yes because I dont htink I was making myself very clear.

What I mean to say is I dont understand how some modes work well with others, what are the similarities and differences and whatnot.

and about the shapes of each mode, i was wondering whether it is possible to use a mixture of all the shapes over any rhythm guitar line, say a rhythm guitar that goes G, E, F.
would it be possible to just play around all of the phyrigian modes shapes and itd still sound good?
Quote by sk8z
I thought there was only on phyrigan shape...E

modes are not shapes!!!!

modes, like scales are a series of notes. They just happen to have certain patterns when you plot them out on the fretboard.

Once you get it through your heads that they are actually separate notes, then you'll realise the ammount of possibilities they can create.

by the way sk8z, your post doesnt make sence.
Been away, am back
So say you decided to play Phyrigian. How would you decide which patterns of notes to use. I know that each pattern has the same notes in it just in a different order so does it matter which you use? Will they all sound good?
If you're TRULY playing lydian, like let's say E phrygian (which comes from C major's modes), then you focus on playing the E note, the G note, and the C note. Why? 1-b3-5, in relation to normal E major. Phrygian contains those intervals, and it's best to focus on the tones that form the chord that define your mode. If you wanted a chord very phrygian specific, you'd have a m7b9 (so Em7b9 for this example). That chord contains 1, b3, 5, b7, b9, so it's good to focus on those notes.

You can't play lydian over a ionian key, and if you think you are just because you're in thye position you learned for lydian, then you're not. Like Logz said, modes are NOT positions. They are new scales unto themselves. They have different resolutions to their respective root notes, so you must treat them as such. TRUE modal playing is focusing on the notes that make that mode unique, NOT playing in the position (because I guarantee that if you just play in the position, your ears wanna take you back to ionian's root note... given that the song isn't in ionian for this example, this would be bad).

red
Looking for my India/Django.
i've slapped this into many modes topics today...waiting for someone to correct me, or someone to gain from it. here it is

To any major scale, flatten the notes indicated here.
(all of the following are from the A major scale)

Ionian Mode (major)
(C D E F G A B C)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1
A B C# D E F# G# A

Dorian Mode
(D E F G A B C D)
1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7, 1
A B C D E F# G A

Phrygian Mode
(E F G A B C D E)
1, b2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 1
A Bb C D E F G A

Lydian Mode
(F G A B C D E F)
1, 2, 3, #4, 5, 6, 7, 1
A B C# Eb E F# G# A

Mixolydian Mode
(G A B C D E F G)
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7, 1
A B C# D E F# G A

Aeolian Mode (natural minor)
(A B C D E F G A)
1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7, 1
A B C D E F G A

Locrian Mode
(B C D E F G A B)
1, b2, b3, 4, b5, b6, b7, 1
A Bb C D Eb F G A
why did you place the modes of C major above them in parentheses? for comparison purposes?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.