Hey I'm wondering about what future there is in music I'm 16 and soon I'm going to have to start looking for colleges (eek) and I was thinking about majoring in Music but really what types of jobs are there in the music field and what degrees do you need and most importantly how big is the demand for people in those careers? I mean yeah It'd be great to be the next Metallica or whatever band you listen to but it's just not going to happen (for me at least, good luck to all of you)
I mean there has to be record producers, sound enginers, all of that crap but really it doesn't seem like there is a large demand for people in those fields and I've got to make money some how
It's hard to get into and you have to be a very good musician to make it. Maybe major as a session guitarist or a guitarist for hire. Take Majors in Jazz, Blues, Rock. You have to know everythign about music. Every scale. Mode pattern chord. EVERYTHING!!! But if yo umake it there's always bands or tv shows looking for musicians to use for themes and backgrounds on shows. house bands. Sessions guitarist do fairly well if you good enough. Steve Vai was a session guitarist. You have to be amazing to get in but if you are one of the lucky ones who makes you wont have trouble getting jobs. Just do what makes you happiest
...:::The Master Chief :::...
Im not an expert in this field but a music degree can't hurt your career. It'll help you write better music therefore making it easier for you to get a deal or something. If you have specific skills such as sound engineering then i guess you can work in a studio or possibly invest in one of your own. Another possibility is that with a vast knowledge of music theory, chords, scales, etc.. your playing ability will without a doubt increase and you can become a studio guitarist.
session musician, which would be better if you learned more than guitar. more versatility and jobs. plus benefitting your guitar playing.
the demand for session guitarists is steadily declining because everything is Pro-Tooled to death, nowadays
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
um, i dont think of music as a job but as a hobby. I know if i turn it into a job ill get tired of the one thing i really like doing and what does that leave me with... finding something else interesting to do, and seeing as i dont want to leave guitar any time soon, im settling with majoring in physics and working on like rockets and **** lol :P
meow :3
You all may think I'm crazy for saying this, but it's the honest truth, so here it goes: If you go to church, and if you're not already, talk to your worship leader about being a part of the team. That's what the guitarist at my church did. Though he's not signed with any label company, he still creates his own CD's and sells them. Terryl Greg, maybe you've of him, hehe. And also, you don't necesarily have to be awesome to be in that style of music, you're not out there singing and playing to try and impress anyone, you're doing it for a completely different reason, and you'd be surprised what God will do for you. I don't want this to sound like I'm preaching to you, cos I'm not trying to, I'm just telling you what a guy at my church did, hehe. It's worth a shot, and who knows? Label companies are always looking at the minor styles of music for talent, because those are the people that are playing for fun, instead of trying to really impress anyone.

Alone with trying that approach, one of my good friends, who wasn't anything special, but he was good, just sat out on his porch every day playing and singing. His neighbors heard him, and one of them hired him to play at their wedding. Turned out the people who were getting married were friends with some guy from a label company, and he heard my friend play, and asked him if he was interested in workin for him. So there's another thing you could always try.

Last thing I have to say is this: Do what you love, and love what you do. Play because you enoy doing it, you have fun, and you love it. Don't go out trying to impress some label company, and certainly don't go out looking for them, let them come to you. If you have to find them, you most likely aren't worth their time. If they have to find you, then you've got somethin goin for you. Good luck buddy, and hope to see you live someday Have fun
Minor in music, major in somethig more reliable, like an engineering degree. Then you can work in an office and earn lots of money, and when you get home you can focus on advancing your musical career. It's always good to have a backup.

Try this: Electrical engineering/music. That'd be great for studio work, you could set up systems with ease, and still know ****loads about music. But if you couldn't get work in a studio, you could find some other place thanks to your engineering degree.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
you could always study music education
there's always people looking for muscians who are able to teach, whether it be private lessons or teaching guitar or theory at a public school

ive been researching ways to make music as a career in the past year and visited many schools and have gotten their opinions on different subjects and so on so if you have any questions just pm me
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Wow. Evangelizing in a thread about career possibilities in the field of music.
There is a school I know of *Full Sail* out of Florida that has a degree course in music. "Recording Arts" is what they call it. You don't really need to know music and all you need is a high school diploma. Now if you were actually wanting to play music then I've heard of a well-credited Berklee College of Music. You can major in Rock, Blues, or Jazz. It's not a full on school though. You go for a couple of months and learn and play and perform and if you do well...whala!! Degree! So just thought I would help you out because I'm in the same position as you and I'm not for sure for sure what I want to have to do with music.
The Walking Dead
Quote by thelonelywaffle
There is a school I know of *Full Sail* out of Florida that has a degree course in music. "Recording Arts" is what they call it. You don't really need to know music and all you need is a high school diploma. Now if you were actually wanting to play music then I've heard of a well-credited Berklee College of Music. You can major in Rock, Blues, or Jazz. It's not a full on school though. You go for a couple of months and learn and play and perform and if you do well...whala!! Degree! So just thought I would help you out because I'm in the same position as you and I'm not for sure for sure what I want to have to do with music.

Degree in Rock & Roll? sounds fun!

I've heard of Full Sail, looked at it for different reasons.
Let's not forget guys, you could be a composer. Although, most music jobs are hard to come by sometimes and don't pay handsomely.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
whatever you do, just remeber that music is a very big industry. even if you dont get famous or anything
PM me for
Yeah my goal really isn't to be famous. I'd really just like to make a decent living and keep on doing something I love. I think I might just major in something else and Minor in music, maybe start a cover band and teach a few lessons. But I think when school starts up I'm going to ask my guidence consular what she thinks I should do.
music teacher in schools is alright
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
I'm doing journalism with a music minor, just as an FYI.

I'm also thinking of hitting up the Recording Workshop program here in Chillicothe, Ohio, because that could open up some doors for money while I'm actually in school for whatever other reason.

Basically it's not like "choose a career, get educated, get a job in exact field specified" -- it's a little different. If you give yourself a good, solid background you can find yourself working pretty much wherever
Last edited by pratt121 at Jul 14, 2006,
Yeah but I really don't want to end up spending the rest of my life jumping from job to job because I'd like to have a family and I've heard that really just having any college degree can help you get jobs in field that are completely unrelated is that true?
as I said before I'm only 16 and really don't know a whole lot about that kind of stuff
Quote by Hpda5121
you could always study music education
there's always people looking for muscians who are able to teach, whether it be private lessons or teaching guitar or theory at a public school

(Directed at anyone intending to pursue music education)

A good guy will find a job. That being said, being employed at a primary or secondary school as a music teacher is not the most stable job; just this year our assistant director was fired because of budget cuts. Music programs are not as "necessary" as math or english, so they are among the first things to go.

My main director has twice received lay-off notices, although he was not fired. When a school's budget is in jeapordy, they will sometimes give employees layoff notices in case the problem is not fixed. Although my teacher was re-hired, it can't be too comforting knowing that your future is in the balance (as well as possibly your family, if you have one by that time).

It's also not as though you can say, "I am good at music, I might as well teach!" Think very carefully about this: not everyone can teach. Many people would find themselves pulling their hair out if they had to deal with a roomful of kids every day (and if you have to teach a full concert band or choir, look out!) Think very carefully about whether you would be willing to interact with, train, and control groups of children or young adults.

I have had good teachers and bad teachers. Some truly enjoy their work and excel at it, others struggle to command a class's attention. A few seem to just go through the motions, clearly not enjoying themselves. Even if you do enjoy teaching, it will be hard and frustrating at times, although there will be moments of accomplishment that should make the job worthwhile.

That's my mini-rant on high school teaching in my area of the U.S. If you are from a different country and your programs are improved, I'm sure that would help the discussion. If you are from the U.S. and disagree with any of my points, I would happily discuss the differences with you in a civil manner as it is possible (and I hope it is!) that there are areas where music education is not threatened at all.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
You all may think I'm crazy for saying this, but it's the honest truth, so here it goes: If you go to church, and if you're not already, talk to your worship leader about being a part of the team. That's what the guitarist at my church did. Though he's not signed with any label company, he still creates his own CD's and sells them. Terryl Greg, maybe you've of him, hehe. And also, you don't necesarily have to be awesome to be in that style of music, you're not out there singing and playing to try and impress anyone, you're doing it for a completely different reason, and you'd be surprised what God will do for you. I don't want this to sound like I'm preaching to you, cos I'm not trying to, I'm just telling you what a guy at my church did, hehe. It's worth a shot, and who knows? Label companies are always looking at the minor styles of music for talent, because those are the people that are playing for fun, instead of trying to really impress anyone.

Alone with trying that approach, one of my good friends, who wasn't anything special, but he was good, just sat out on his porch every day playing and singing. His neighbors heard him, and one of them hired him to play at their wedding. Turned out the people who were getting married were friends with some guy from a label company, and he heard my friend play, and asked him if he was interested in workin for him. So there's another thing you could always try.

Last thing I have to say is this: Do what you love, and love what you do. Play because you enoy doing it, you have fun, and you love it. Don't go out trying to impress some label company, and certainly don't go out looking for them, let them come to you. If you have to find them, you most likely aren't worth their time. If they have to find you, then you've got somethin goin for you. Good luck buddy, and hope to see you live someday Have fun

great post tmunky

yeah like alot of people of people said here.....do what you love and love what you do. i think thats what it comes down to.

personally i dont think music should be like a "career?" you chose. it should be the love you have for playing guitar or w\e that drives you to choosing music as a career. if your doin it just to earn a living, i would suggest you find something you love doin, to heck if it doesnt pay well, is money what its all about? As long as you enjoy what you do. whether you make big bucks or not. after all Jesus came to earth so that we can have life and have it in abundance, purpose and enjoyment in everyday life.
ive been playin guitar for about 6 years now and i know that playing guitar is what i was made for because God put a desire in my heart for playing. it's not a pain for me too play...i love playing guitar. thats why i play, not because i have too make a living someday.

(the above is my opinion, some people may tend to disagree)

thanks for reading
cheers
About full sail and berkely, Full Sail is more a vocational school and Berkely is more of a traditional four year college. Full Sail will teach you more "Job" type stuff like production and you might get internships where Berkely will teach more music stuff, i.e. theory, techniques. I'd go with Berkely if you want to be a guitarist and session musician, Full SAil if you want a music job in the studio or such.
Correct me if Im wrong if any of you guys have been enrolled in either.
ive been playin guitar for about 6 years now and i know that playing guitar is what i was made for because God put a desire in my heart for playing.

yea, the god of ROCK!
since guitarists do grow on trees, or at their fathers whim after re-thinking his life as a failed guitarist but a successful businessmen...oh wait that's not everyone? nevermind.

But I have learned that there is ALWAYS someone, at least where I'm from, complaining about the lack of good private music teacher. Hell, you could be good as hell and charge 20 dollars for a 30 minute lesson. Give 10 of those a week and that's 800 dollars a month, combine that with some menial bull**** job and you could be pulling in about 1500 a month. That isnt too bad is it? Imagine being a school music teacher and teaching trumpet and percussion and flute..etc. but telling all your adolescent students you give bass and guitar lessons privately on the side. You'd have so many kids flipping out about wanting to be "real musicians". But yeah minoring in music theory and majoring in something more career oriented would be a Grrrreat! idea.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
Quote by honkey
But yeah minoring in music theory and majoring in something more career oriented would be a Grrrreat! idea.

Or a double major, if you're up for it.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
Or a double major, if you're up for it.

Yeah that's always a possibility. In fact I would be up for it if I was time for me to go to college. I can honestly say my passion in life is music, of any instrument really.
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
^ I am entering college this year, and I'm strongly considering a double major. There's also a concentration that combines music with computers that I want to investigate. I think people should consider a more stable career, but that doesn't mean you have to completely do away with music either.