Everyone:
I have decided on my first song, Nowhere Man by The Beatles.

I started 2 days ago, and believe it or not, I have completed the first verse, granted a bit slower then the original, including the singing. As soon as I finish the first half, I'll post it to make sure I'm not picking up any bad habits!!

It took me a while to do the vocals and maintain the strumming pattern; BUT I got it!!

One wonderful thing, I loose track of time and actually end up practicing for much longer then I use to when just practicing chords. I'm now able to change between D,A,G,Em and a simplified Gm smoothly!!

The second to last chord on the verse is a Gm, but until I get barre chords down, I'll just barre the first three strings of the third fret. I have a capo on the second fret, song in in the key of D.

My second song will be John Lennon's Happy Christmas!!

I want to thank all for the encouragement and GREAT song ideas. I will put all on my learn list, really, great songs, ALL of them!!

Thread:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389804

This little bit of success has given me so much motivation. I will now move forward and practice more basic chords, and scales, and of course continue to plow forward with Nowhere Man!!

Thank you all!!
-Joseph
how have you been here since december of 2005, but you learned your first song like... yesterday?

just curious....

and congrats on the song dude.
keep it up, and ill promise ya, in a few years ill be seein you on stage.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Quote by Ostin
how have you been here since december of 2005, but you learned your first song like... yesterday?

just curious....

and congrats on the song dude.
keep it up, and ill promise ya, in a few years ill be seein you on stage.

I had made two other unsuccessful attempt at the acoustic, first being 15 years ago. My second attempt was back in 2005 when I meet a homeless young man called Chris. He had a beat up acoustic with a mixture of steal and nylon strings, but he could make that guitar sing with incredible emotion. It was winter time, and I ran into him again at Starbucks where he was just there to keep warm. We got to talking, and he was one of the most intelligent individuals I had ever meet. He knew groups music across all areas, their songs, lyrics, history ... he was simply a walking encyclopedia of musical knowledge. Anyway, he became my friend, I helped him all I could with food, clothes and just a friend he could talk to. After several weeks of knowing Chris, I decided to go out and purchase a guitar. I looked forward to chatting with him every day, he played downtown, I worked there also, and we meet daily at Starbucks. I got so much positive energy from Chris after I bought the guitar and was on my way. Shortly after this, he had to leave, back home up north; his wife had just been released. The most important thing I got from Chris, was his love and appreciation for music, all music.

After he left, I tried to motivate myself, but could not. I was so dependent on Chris for support and encouragement, that after he left I just gave up ... had barely started developing calluses.

A few months ago I decided to give it another try, and here I am. I can proudly say that I have come the furthest in the last few days than ever before.

That's my story.
Last edited by Ghost Shadow at Jul 14, 2006,
that would make one of the most inspirational "you can do it, believe in yourself" movies out there.

but seriously, thats pretty intense how you got into guitar the way you did... youll have a nice little tale to tell your grandchildren.
the
music and soul of love and hope and light manifesting in our minds, trapping whats left of us in our hearts.
where theres nowhere to go.

Quote by I_Pwn
Ostin, you are the pwnzorz and my new hero for that flame.

and this is a guy who's name is "i pwn"
Chris once told me a story of how he once was playing somewhere in California, fisherman wharf i think. Anyway, along come these two well dressed couples, drunk. One guy wanted to showoff to his girlfriend, I don't remember the details, but ended up taking Chris's guitar way from him, pretended to play it and then just smashed it to pieces on the sidewalk, while he and his budy laughed. While Chris told this story, there was no bitterness, as a mater of fact, as he told it he smiled. Apparently there were other individuals that saw this, came over and gave Chris some money...he eventually panhandled for a while and bought another guitar. He had traveled all over the US, many stories of violence, rudeness, but also of kindness and compaction. I miss Chris, hope he's all right.
Well done mate, an 'interesting' tale too.

Just out of curiosity, do you play and sing this song with a capo at the second fret?
Quote by Free
Well done mate, an 'interesting' tale too.

Just out of curiosity, do you play and sing this song with a capo at the second fret?

Thank you, yes second fret, key of D.
-GS
Good job man, remember to keep at it! Once you get that song totally down, it feels so good to just listen to yourself sing and play the song and have it down just perfect.

After you get that one totally down, you oughta learn Wish You Were Here (little beginning solo included). It was one of my first songs a year or so back, and the little solo at the beginning will help you learn basic hammeron/pulloffs (and it's got lots of great, basic open chords too). That's also real easy to sing along with.
*sniffle sniffle* that was an amazing story keep up the good work......i should consider being homeless sometime
Quote by notoriousnumber
I didnt think you could be that much of a twat. Piss off.