I've been playing for about 1.5 years now and am just wondering how I am progressing as a player. I have rhythm nailed down along with basic soloing. I'm starting to play stuff like Malmsteen and Vai but just starting, nowhere near perfect. I just started practiceing sweep picking about a week ago and have a little idea of it. So am I moving to slow or just right? I'd like to know.
Rock N Roll Is Dead!!!!!
move at your own pace. if you worry to much, you'll suck at guitar. really, it doesnt matter. play for yourself.

Adam
im in the same position you are. im getting better slowly so if i can do it you can do it
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Don't compare yourself with others, for you are not them... You are you.

Comparing serves no purpose and will only harm you.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
ur the best and the worst yet intermediate, its no competition
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

*cough* When you stop asking things like this then you're a good player. We don't know you, we havne't hear you play, and we haven't heard you progress. With that said even us godly UG guys can't judge you from words.

You have rhythm down? Doubt it, check out some good funk guitarists and try copying those rhythms. At this point, steer clear of Malmsteen. You'll be spending too much time on building speed off of the same scale and fingering patterns. Not to say Yngwie is a bad player, but Vai's work is better if you're just starting to get into things like that since there's more variety. You sound like you're doing alright since you're self aware and are just curious as to where you stand.
I, personally, would say im at your level at around 9 months. For the first while I played pretty consistantly and have been in an active band from the beginning, with help in my learning here and there from a guitarist with around 5 years experience. Keep working at your own pace and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
Bring back Tabo
Quote by B345T
I, personally, would say im at your level at around 9 months. For the first while I played pretty consistantly and have been in an active band from the beginning, with help in my learning here and there from a guitarist with around 5 years experience. Keep working at your own pace and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

That is wxactly how i am... but the funny thing is i am now better than the guitarist who had been playing for 4.5 years who tought me...
You've started playing at too late an age but you still have a chance to become really good if you got talent and you work hard.
If it can't withstand the heat of a billion suns then it's worthless
Electric Church
Quote by Rockbysea
You've started playing at too late an age but you still have a chance to become really good if you got talent and you work hard.

You can never be too old to play an instrument...
Quote by Rockbysea

Are you sure? I'm only 14, and I play about 6-8 hours a day. My problem is that I was made bad choices until about 4 months ago, up until then I just learned songs, but now I have been working my fingers to the bone to become a real musician.
Rock N Roll Is Dead!!!!!
Quote by WhiteLight
You can never be too old to play an instrument...

I agree 100%

But the post was: "How Long Should It Take To Get Great?" not "Am I too old to play an instrument?"
Electric Church
Quote by Modernmusich8er
Are you sure? I'm only 14, and I play about 6-8 hours a day. My problem is that I was made bad choices until about 4 months ago, up until then I just learned songs, but now I have been working my fingers to the bone to become a real musician.

I got your age from your profile which says the following:

Birthday:
January 1, 1982

Biography:
i'm a true rocker
Interests:
shredding guitar
Servicing society by rocking
Favourite groups:
Led Zeppelin, Rush, Van Halen, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath

That makes you 24 years old not 14. Now if you're 14 and playing eight hours a day then you probably play better then you give yourself credit for.
Electric Church
pay no attention to my age thing...but ive been playing at least 32 hours a week during school...and almost 45 hours a week during the summer...and ive been complimented by kick ass guitarists and everything on how good i am.
Everyone is different, but don't worry about other guitarists. Some are great in just a couple years, but some take several or more
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin

Pm me and I'll give you a link to God's forum! It still needs mods

62% of teens smoke pot, put this in your profile if you like lesbians