I'm going to be getting a new guitar soon. I was thinking a Fender Strat. Any other recommendations would be appreciated. I'll try everything out before I decide which to buy. I already have a Epi G-400 and Ovation 12 string Celebrity. I play a fairly wide range of music (SOAD to Blink 182 to RHCP). My main reason for getting a new guitar is for high school jazz band. I need something that is good for chords (7s, 9s, 13s, etc.). I have about $500 but i can probably get $1000 by the end of summer. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
damn richy rich, i want ur guitars. how is the epi, and ovation. i really want those guitars. but im broke anyways.
well, for jazz youre gonna mainly want the neck pup. so if you got a fat strat, you could use the humbucker for your heavy stuff, and the neck single coil for jazz, and RHCP stuff.
My Gear:
Fender Standard Strat w/Tex-mex pups
Epi Les Paul Jr.
Epi MM-20 mandolin
Yamaha FG-110
Boss SD-1
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP80
Fender FM212R
Epi Valve Junior

Check Me Out:
Me
I would get a Fat Strat since their more versatile since your taste in music is more than just one genre.

EDIT: Beaten to it
yeah id recomend a SSH fat strat those work great for jazz, since youve got the single coils and the humbucker adds versatility, Or if you have $1000 to invest why not get a decent archtop?
Artcores are kind of crappy if you have that much to spend on a semi-hollow get mid grade epiphone.
what are some decent archtops other than the artcore? My friend has a Strat and he replaced the bridge with a Hotrails. Would that be an alternative to a fat strat or would the hot rails still have the lighter sound?

EDIT: Does anyone have any experience with Schecter semi-hollows?
Last edited by FuriousRyder at Jul 13, 2006,
Quote by FuriousRyder
what are some decent archtops other than the artcore? My friend has a Strat and he replaced the bridge with a Hotrails. Would that be an alternative to a fat strat or would the hot rails still have the lighter sound?

No, hotrails are actual humbuckers.

I would suggest an Epiphone Sheraton, although it wouldn't be good for SOAD, which you say you play. A higher end Epiphone Les Paul then? Definitely something with an HH configuration.
I already have an SG for humbuckers and id prefer to get single coils since humbuckers aren't the best choice for jazz.
Epiphone makes a lot of good archtops, most have humbuckers but still sound good for jazz, when i played in my schools jazz band i used a washburn archtop with two humbuckers and it worked great. But yeah i reccomend you go to the guitar store and see what theyve got in terms of stuff like that.