Anyone heard of this guy? My guitar teacher just gave me a CD of him and wow, it's amazing. Great guitarist, and all he used was a tele through an amp with no effects besides a delay once in a while, but made up a lot of his own effects just with his guitar. Also, amazing at using bends, he writes licks that are basically all just bending. Check him out if you can find anything by him (pretty obscure underrated guitarist)
Great guitarist with alot of potential, with his telecaster. Too bad the cops beat him and hung him in his jail cell.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Yep, I know him well. I got a CD of his about two months ago, and now it's just about the very template I pattern my guitar style on. Just mind blowing stuff. So underrated, I wish more folks knew him, he's as good as most anyone I've heard...perhaps better.
Squire Strat
Line 6 30 Watt Amp
No effects, all evil....
I heard about him just the other week at a guitar workshop when the guy was trying to explain his techniques. I was like I have to check this Roy guy out! Lucky you mentioned his name otherwise I would of forgot.

What are some songs to check out do you reckon? Is there anywhere to listen online?
Quote by The Master Plan
Too bad the cops beat him and hung him in his jail cell.

I thought, in his drunken state, he hung himself in his jail cell?

Anyway, I love Roy Buchanan. He's definitely one of my biggest influences. I've tried to incorporate some of his techniques (such as volume swells) into my playing. Some of my favorite songs are "Sweet Dreams", "The Messiah Will Come Again", "Pete's Blue", and "There'll Always Be". His version of "Hey Joe" isn't too shabby either.
Well theres 2 sides of the story, the cops say that he hung and beat himself. On August 14, 1988, that night, depending on whom you belive, he either hung himself or was a vitim of manhandling by the police. He was found dead in his cell the next morning. He was 44 years old.
Here are good songs.
The Heat of the Battle
Green Onions
The Messiah Will Come Again
Fly...Night Bird
Ramon's
Judy
Jack the Ripper
When a Guitar Plays the Blues
Flash Chordin
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by The Master Plan
Well theres 2 sides of the story, the cops say that he hung and beat himself. On August 14, 1988, that night, depending on whom you belive, he either hung himself or was a victim of manhandling by the police.

I'll go with the conspiracy theory of police brutality. Bloody cops.
Squire Strat
Line 6 30 Watt Amp
No effects, all evil....
Quote by Taco Wallace
I'll go with the conspiracy theory of police brutality. Bloody cops.

On second thought, so will I.

And I completely forgot about "When a Guitar Plays the Blues", that's one of my favorites. "Soul Dressing" and "Baltimore" are a couple others I forgot.
The Messiah Will Come Again has some of the most heartbreaking guitar work i've ever heard. that is an amazing man.
...Damn Right I Got The Blues...