I'm thinking about ordering some recording equipment. Any recommendations would be very helpful. As far as what I'd like to do; I'd like to be able to record up to 2 tracks at the same time. I've composed songs with up to 8 parts and would like to be able to record each part and then combine them.

Here is my potential setup:

PreSonus INSPIRE 1394 FireWire Audio Interface
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/PreSonus-INSPIRE-1394-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=241483

Shure SM57 Instrument/Vocal Mic
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SM57-InstrumentVocal-Mic?sku=270102

MXL MXL 990/MXL 991 Recording Microphone Package
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-MXL-990MXL-991-Recording-Microphone-Package?sku=273166

Money of course is a big issue. I realize this isn't the best setup for listening to previous recordings, the metronome, and what you're playing at the same time, but I can't find a better method of achieving those things that would cost just a little bit more. Any ideas as far as that goes would be great. Also, I'll be buying two of the 990/991 packages so that I can record piano in stereo.
Quote by hthedinga
How are usb audio interfaces compared with firewire? I hear they're slower, but is that really that big of an issue?

What about this usb audio interface?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=99707&g=rec

USB= latency. Everytime you record a new track... it will be slightly out of sync with the others.

Firewire doesn't have that problem... at least it never has for me.
Quote by Bill43
USB= latency. Everytime you record a new track... it will be slightly out of sync with the others.

Firewire doesn't have that problem... at least it never has for me.

So I could record two tracks with USB and they'd be out of sync, but I could just line them up still right or does it not work like that? I have a video where the audio is in line with the video, but gradually slows down and they're seconds off by the end; would it be like that?
Quote by hthedinga
So I could record two tracks with USB and they'd be out of sync, but I could just line them up still right or does it not work like that? I have a video where the audio is in line with the video, but gradually slows down and they're seconds off by the end; would it be like that?

I think that as long as you play both pieces in time, you should be able to sync them easily.

As far as the setup, I have the Inspire 1394 and an SM57. It works fine, and you can monitor previously recorded tracks while recording new ones. It comes with Cubase LE which has worked well for me. I have only really done line level recordings, because when I try to mic my acoustic, it seems like it hardly picks up any sound. But micing an amp I haven't had any difficulty with volume. I think for value it definitely is worth it.
And yes, you can have 2 simultaneous inputs, although I haven't tried that. And with Cubase you can have up 48 tracks.

If you want to hear what it sounds like, go here and click on the (High Quality) recording. The High Quality one was done at 112 kb/s but you can export mp3's with Cubase up to 128 kb/s.

Anything else you want to ask about this particular setup, go ahead and ask.
College. ... ? . !!
There's no need to talk when we have medicine.
It's too bad I can't get an Inspire. I'm really leaning towards the Lexicon Lambda (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Lambda-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245506) now.

So if I were to record one track, say an electric guitar track, using a metronome; then record another track while listening to the track I just recorded, the metronome, and what I'm currently playing; would that be doable? I'd also like to continue that process while recording many tracks.

Btw, gotta go, but your song was nice. The accoustic guitar had a weird twang to it though that sort of detracted from the song.
When you record the second track, you won't need the metronome, because if you're monitoring (listening to) the first track you layed down, you're in time. Then it's a matter of how many milliseconds it'll be off. The latency is "heard" until after you record and play it back.

My FireWire interface has a latency of about 10ms... not bad. Pros shoot for under 5 and use PCI connections (although FW connections are really catching on. I met a guy who records 16 audio tracks into a firewire interface, a MATU MkII I believe, without latency issues).

If the latency seems to affect how the two tracks sync together after you've layed both of them down, you can simply shift the second one back a bit. USB should get the job done, though.
Looking for my India/Django.
^ you dont need the mic when recording the second track, but i personally prefer to have it on. in fact, if im recording a progression or something that doesnt need to relate perfectly to the backing (like a solo would) then i actually prefer to play to the metronome than what ive already recorded. unless i have drums down as the first track, then i like those better than a metronome. its down to personal prefrence though, and whatever you feel will give you your best results.

to make everything line up, i record everything separatly then delete any silence before the track. then i import everything to one copy of FL, and line everything up with the beat marks in the playlist. i dont know if you can do something similar in other software, but i think thats the easiest way to do it (for me it is anyway). just delete the silence so your sound starts when the track starts, and line everything up.
i'm heavily leaning towards getting this lexicon lambda:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lexicon-Lambda-USB-Audio-Interface?sku=245506

i'm yet to talk to someone that owns it though. i have a 4 prong firewire whereas audio interfaces use 6 prongs so i think i'll go with a usb rather a.i. rather than using a firewire converter. do you think the quality will be close to something that would cost a few hundred more?