dude its just a video. hes not picking ****. just do it normally.
OMG you admitted to liking korn and soad, you better delete that before some of the metal heads come in riding there new ego fueled cars to bitch you out .

#7 Member of "The Mars Volta Fan Club"
I've always wondered how to pick that song. There's plenty of different ways that people have put out there. In the video it doesn't look like he's hitting a bass string, so I doubt that it's for real... it could possibly just be show.

As far as the second video... that's obviously picking. Most probably alternate, but could be economy.
Shine on diamond eyes.
Quote by AngelGC
i dont see how that was an opinion. care to explain?

replace the word opinion with comment.
iuhoh. ive played that song without alternate picking before. i dont see what the big deal is
its not that hard
OMG you admitted to liking korn and soad, you better delete that before some of the metal heads come in riding there new ego fueled cars to bitch you out .

#7 Member of "The Mars Volta Fan Club"
Quote by Kollarism
Thanks for the opinion that wasnt needed.

Here is another video of what I'm talking about....is it alternate picking?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zvIpyD7dmJc&search=guitar

While itson! phrased it rather... indelicately, the first part of what he said was not an opinion, but fact. You might be an inexperienced guitarist so I can understand your inability to spot this on your own. Look at BJ's picking hand. It is not at all what you are hearing; he's basically just pantomiming playing the song. This is common in music videos -- the people playing instruments aren't playing the song at all, they're just... going through the motions, so to speak. I'm don't know enough about video production to say, but he's probably lip-synching too.

In BJ's video, what you SEE is him doing a simple strumming pattern involving up and downstrokes. What you HEAR is a nice fingerstyle bit. I think this is what's causing your confusion. For help on fingerstyle, search UG and there will be lots of advice, I'm sure. There are tons of tabs for Good Riddance also.

In the second video, it looks like he's just forming various chords and then picking them with a pick. The first part, which comes up a few times in the song, I think (I skipped through the video) would be better suited for pure fingerstyle playing, but he uses a pick because the song goes to fully strummed chords at times. To answer your question directly, yes, he is alternate picking if he ever uses upstrokes.
Quote by itson!
iuhoh. ive played that song without alternate picking before. i dont see what the big deal is
its not that hard

I was just curious. I've only been playing 7months, and I play it without alternate picking cuz i'm not good at it yet.
these were the tabs for the 2nd song:

the chorus is:
Quote by Kollarism
replace the word opinion with comment.

then edit your post and change it
Quote by Man_In_The_Box
learn some green day. they are totally brutal.
i dont know if you have noticed this yet but the part where he picks it is the same chords as when he strums it. the chord sequence is G, C9 (i think thats what its called its X32033) then D. The first part of the chorus is Em, D, C9, G, the second part is just switching between G and Em. The only difference between the picking part and the strumming part is that he uses a regular C during the chorus of the stumming part

i hope that kinda of helps but other than that you just have to practice the picking pattern, after about a week i pretty much got it down but at first you just have to keep trying and not get frustrated
When the song was originally made, the picking was not on it. He was just strumming the chords in the beginning, as it shows in the video. They later went back and replaced the beginning and ending chords into the picking pattern. My guess is that they recorded the song, then made the video, and then went back to redo the picking. So basically, what you hear is not what you see.
Quote by itson!
its not that hard

Agreed. You can do it that way or just strum the chords.
I usually fingerpick the beggining.
But when he plays it live he just picks his way through the song. whatever works best for you i suppose.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I personally play this song kind of wierd. Here's an example of how I play the first chord. (G)
3-------
2-------
0-0----
--0-0-0
----3-3
----3-3
Then I basically play every chord like that
I don't see how this is so major. It's a simple song. I pick through it, but as I understand it, the way he plays it isn't exactly what you're hearing.

If anyone wants to see the right way, how about watching him LIVE.