first, a story - i was saving money to buy an elec guitar, then one day, my parents suprised me with a fender strat pack (about $200 i think)..my reaction was - hey thanks mom and dad! you two are the greatest! but deep inside i was like - (wtf!? a strat!? ) because my friends, who have bands, always recommends me to avoid strats..and that i should go for the ibanez, les pauls, prs, coz strats only have single coil pickups that are meant only for light music, ad libing etc...and if i am going for metal/heavier songs, it wouldn't sound the same if i am using a strat.... well, im only a beginner and my genre is metal..i want to cover some songs from soulfly, deftones, tool, devil driver and other downtuned-downstrokes-palm muted type of songs.. im thinking, can i play those songs and still sound the same? if u know what i mean... if not, what should i do? because selling the guitar is out of the question hehe.. what multi effects should i go for?... should i change those pickups?...comments and opinions are appreciated guys.. tnx
Ungrateful bastard.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
^ what they said. I play metal on my "strat" all the time.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Bare in mind that your sound is about 80 percent your amp/effects. And saying single coil pickups are meant only for light/soft music is nonsense.

*Moved*
strats arent the best for metal but they will definetely suffice. Just do some research on single coil pickups so you can get a better sound.
Jesus Rules

SLAM DANCE
Your parents spend their hard earned money just to make you happy, and all you can say it 'F*** you, I want an Ibanez'
yeah, "ungrateful" is what they also said hehe....hmmmm, 80 percent..can you please tell me what multi effects or other devices should i buy?..um, i think my budget is around a hundred bucks and a hundred fifty... thanks guys for your replies
If you want to go for a lower tone turn on your neck pick up
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
Well if you just started you dont need a expensive guitar, because you might just lose intrest for playing.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
hmmm, thanks guys for the comments...ill keep that in mind..appreciated it..yeah i your right master plan shoulda probably start honing my skills first and my sense hehe .. passion first before fashion
Quote by Cheyne-Stokes
hmmm, thanks guys for the comments...ill keep that in mind..appreciated it..yeah i your right master plan shoulda probably start honing my skills first and my sense hehe .. passion first before fashion

You've got a good attitude about it. What you need to do is...

1. Practice as you said
2. Learn to control your tone through pickup selection and tone and volume knob position
3. Maybe check out a new amp (like a roland mini cube((great amp)))
4. Or a gain boost pedal

then you should be happy Just make sure not to give your parents a hard time they sound like they really care.

peace,
Clay
hey thanks clay johnson, i saw that amp you wrote about a few days ago.. il check that out..appreciated it man
I play Metal on my strat, but I bought a distortion pedal and that helped me more with my sound as well.