Page 1 of 2
Likewise, as the title, I listen to SOAD, Iron Maiden, and other metal stuff.

I just can never hear the Bass guitar playing, except like bass solos, but still, where is the bass?
You cant hear the bass in Maiden

Ok, don?t worry about it man it will come to you in time with your playing. When I 1st started playing i couldn?t pick out the bass, and now i find my self uncontrollably picking out the bass in a song.
M374L

Quote by happytimeharry
This is why I'm proud to be an American. Keep your free health care. We get free boxes...

Quickstrike of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Bass Militia's Resident Viking PM jazz_rock_feel
It's there, It's playing root notes and all that stuff
It wouldn't sound the same if the bass wasnt there

I play songs by those artists and it never sounds the same to me unless
I have a bass player going along with me

It's what makes the song sound punchy
noobs don't pick out the sounds at first cause they don't really develop the sound of the bass until they get used to it.. its like playin a guitar.. u might've not heard a note when u were a noob but when u start progressin u'll start pickin them out...
just keep playing the bass and listening to music, your ear will improve with time and eventually you will be able to pick out each instrument in a mix, the hard thing about hearing the bass is that it is usually quieter than the guitar(s) and vocals, just keep at it
well, although it's hard for newer bass players to pick out the bass in the music... Alot of it is the music your listening to, the guitars in those styles tend to hog the frequencies, if you were listening to bands like Weather report, or Bela Fleck and the Flecktones it would be hard to not notice the bass lines
One of the things about bass, is you never notice it till it's not there. believe me, if the bass weren't there it would sound very bad.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I have perfect pitch, synaesthetic and I have had half my life dedicated to music (i am 15 -.-)

I don't play bass, I recently picked up guitar, like 6 months ago, and I still can't get it, damnit, no matter how hard i try.
Quote by Invictious
I have perfect pitch, synaesthetic and I have had half my life dedicated to music (i am 15 -.-)

I don't play bass, I recently picked up guitar, like 6 months ago, and I still can't get it, damnit, no matter how hard i try.

then i don't think u have perfect pitch...
Seriously, I can only hear the bass when I have the bass boosted up.

Perfect pitch doesn't matter, because I recently jumped into the world of metal like 1 year ago, well I am hoping it will come sooner or later.

I can hear each separate part in a symphony orchestra though.
just play bass. it comes to you, believe me not shy of 3 years ago i probably would have thought 'classical thump' was on guitars
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Invictious
I am too poor to afford a bass.

not even a cheapy mccheap one?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I'm kinda having trouble myself picking out the bass in dream theater. and I've been playing 1 1/2 years, so I might just still be unexperienced.
did we really needed this thread?

lolz, whyz the bazz doznd ply fool cordz?
...And The Nominees Are
Well, when it comes to SOAD, the stuff I've heard (not much) tends to go along with, or at least plays the same riffs as, the guitar. And someone mentioned Dream Theater earlier, which sometimes does the same thing. When that happens, sometimes it can be hard to hear the bass.
If you don't have a subwoofer that could definately help the bass become more obvious. Bass is almost like the hidden instrument. You hear it but you don't realize it. I've mixed songs before for bands and when you go and mute the bass it sounds completely different and not as full.
Quote by Invictious

I just can never hear the Bass guitar playing, except like bass solos, but still, where is the bass?

Get a better stereo. Subwoofers pwn.

And if you want practice hearing bass parts, pick up some funk. Stanley Clarke and Bootsy Collins, FTW.
Hi, I'm Peter
Well, do you play bass? If not, that's also a good reason. Besides, sometimes you need to search for it.
meh, i could be your system. with a ghetto blaster, it may be hard to pick out the bass. with my room system (6.1 surround sound, and it isnt one of those HTiB's either) bass is easily noticed.

but you will notice when you get better at bass. what i do is re write the bass lines while im listening to them. its weird
With SOAD, most of the time Shavo just plays plays the same basic riff as the guitar is. So it's kind of difficult if you don't know what to hear since it's basically just melding the guitar and bass into one big sound. Same with lots of similar bands (slipknot, korn, etc).

For SOAD, listen to the into of Mr. Jack, Pictures, Mind or Spiders. They're all just bass.

Try some RHCP, for the most part each band member plays something completely different so it's easier to pick each one out.

But generally, it takes a wile to be able to hear the bass and tell what's guitar and what's bass playing high up, etc. Don't worry if you've not got it yet, keep listening and it comes.

Also, if you've got really crappy speakers it's hard to hear the bass for anyone.

Hope this helps!
Listen to a Spiral Architect song, then come back. If you've still got problems, then we can't help you. XD
Member #8 of the "I Love Waterbears" club!! PM Phantom lord363 to join

Member #2 of the "I love Mexican food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join.

Machine-gun tappist of the Bass Militia. PM Duff_McGee or IndieMetalhead to join.

LOL @ RABBIT
yea, shavo mostly follows daron in SOAD.

Why does the bass have such a low volume?

I tried it with my brother's ipod amplifier, it has a subwoofer, and I hear the bass pretty clearly, I actually feel my body shaking (the volume was a bit high :P)

Well yea, i can't hear the bass but i know there is a bass, gosh..
It will come with time. I could never pick it out, but it eventually just came to me.

Listen to some Blink 182.

Im sure you dont want to, but it is really easy to hear the bass. Also some Green Day songs such as When I come Around and Welcome to Paradise have easy to hear bass.
Listen to some Rage Against the Machine. You'll find it very easy to pick out the bass, and once you've trained your ear to the more obvious basslines, try listening to some of those sogns where you previously couldn't pick it out.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by Invictious

First off, the bass parts in SOAD are hard to hear

Second off, you Will be able to sometime time, keep practicing,

and if you practice with a program on the computer, you can you the equalizer and change it so you hear more bass, just keep fiddling with it, until you can

good luck!!
When will I know that I really can't go
To the well once more - time to decide on.
Well it's kiliing me, when will I really see, all that I need to look inside.
Come to belive that I better not leave before I get my chance to ride,
RHCP
Quote by toogoodd
then i don't think u have perfect pitch...

hahah a person can have perfect pitch without any instrument experience.

that said, Invictious didnt tell you he can get 16nps on a cello

i only added him on msn to get info about cello's so i'd know

needless to say the guy is not a crappy musician, but dont worry guys, seeing as im his fav bassist friend, ill help him out with finding some good "bass-geared" bands with the bass mixed well and by well i mean where the bass overpowers everything (JK)
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
I'm kinda having trouble myself picking out the bass in dream theater. and I've been playing 1 1/2 years, so I might just still be unexperienced.

i dont see this happening, because i have been hearing their bassist before i even played bass.

did you download the song, or is it from the cd? or live?

i have done all 3 and only the DLed bass is turned down.
Quote by bass_newb37
i dont see this happening, because i have been hearing their bassist before i even played bass.

did you download the song, or is it from the cd? or live?

i have done all 3 and only the DLed bass is turned down.

a CD.
i have been playin bass for almost three years now and it becomes alot easier to hear the bass after playin along with the song

o ya if u ever listen to the red hot chili peppers u can really hear the bass in those songs with all the slappin flea does {Flea is the best }
You hear it, you just don't know it. It adds the boom to metal, I think.Listen very closely.
Quote by DJ-Immortal
You hear it, you just don't know it. It adds the boom to metal, I think.Listen very closely.

Correct!

First, I think it is your system. Try to crank up the bass, or get a sub woofer.

Second, part if the problem is definetly the music. System of a Downs bassist used to, and still does a little bit, play almost the exact same thing as the guitarist. Except when he would do those really cool solo things. The really repetitive ones, and then everyone would play.
I could always hear bass lol guess it's just me
Ibanez SR400
Ampeg BA112
Digitech Whammy WH-4 > Boss NS2 Noise Gate, NS2 Send (Boss GEB7 Bass EQ) NS2 Return > Boss CEB3 Bass Chorus > Ampeg BA112
Its a curse really. When I first started playing, I had to learn scale after scale and endless theory because I got the bass mixed up (and together) with the drums and guitar, especially if there was a rhythm guitar. But after playing for a year or so, and especially after playing with a guitarist, I find myself ONLY LISTENING TO THE BASS. Its the curse of the bassist.

Coolbassguy...I think your wrong about Shavo...I hear him play straight-eighths most the time. You know, like E-3333333355555555- and so on. But its hard to hear that...thats why its called bass...its the base of the music, and is usually the first part of the song thats layed down.
Last edited by chopps00 at Jul 17, 2006,
You'll develop the bassiat ear eventually, it just takes practice. On the other hand, there is some music where it is hard to hear the bass, i recommend if you cant hear it just turn up the bass.
Page 1 of 2