I'm gonna' be honest here. I'm broke. I work a dirt job, and I don't have the money to be buying expensive, beautifully and naturally voiced tube amps like vintage marshalls or european gain monsters.

I own a Behringer V-amp. You know, that little guitar shaped blue thing that models all kinds of crazy sought-after amps? Yeah.

Well, I've played through a lot of great amps in my short stretch of playing guitar. Mesa Boogies, Marshall JCM's, Fender Twins, etc. and I still like the way that little bugger sounds, even with my cheap Ibanez guitar (which I'm soon going to replace).

Now, I'm starting a band with some friends, and I want something that will crank out significant volumes, for band practice, and hopefully small venue gigs.

The V-amp is a nice toy, but let's face it, you can't really expect to gig with a $100 pre-amp through a solid state Fender. Not gonna' happen.

So I'm lookin' at these V-ampire heads, and I'm hearing the most wildly mixed reviews. I'm hearing road weathered professionals sing its praises, and I'm hearing bedroom warriors thrash it to bits, and vice versa.

Needless to say, I'm a little confused.

So here's the question. In your honest opinion, if I like the way the V-amp sounds, am I gonna' like the V-ampire: more, less, about the same? Will it sound better with any particular cab that you know of?

Help me out.
I know this may start getting a little price but look into something called Atomic Amps. They are designed for you to install a V-Amp, POD, or other modeler into the top. It's all tube and has a really great sound using modelers.
Well I would guess that the head might sound better. The other side of the coin is you still have that V-amp modler, which you like... So if you didn't like the sound of the amp too much you can always run your guitar through the V-amp then to the V-ampire! I'm sure you'd achieve better sound because your options are doubled, if you know what I mean.
I'd also like to mention that the Bheringer amp probably isn't going to be anywher near the V-Amp, mostly because with the V-Amp your paying for a processor, with the amp your paying for the amp + a processor for arelatively similar price. This will cut back on quality. Look at Line 6 Spider II series compared to the POD. The POD is capable of delivering great tones, however the Spider II is very mediocre at getting a decent tone.
The Behringer V-Tone sounds much better. I actually dont think the Behringer V-Tone sounds that bad, but its cheaply made. But you really dont need 120watts for band practice and occasional gigging. All you really need is 60watts. Thats all I need and I have band practice with someone who uses the Behringer V-Tone 2x12 with 120watts and we never get louder than about 5 or 6 on my 60watt amp, and we play very loud. Go try the Hartke Piggyback. Its a 60watt head and cab thats hybrid (has a tube preamp). Its not very expensive, its loud and it doesnt sound bad. I have the 60watt combo version and its not bad at all. With my Korg Toneworks AX3000G and my Hartke, I can get tones that sound extremely close to Marshall JCM2000s and Mesa/Boogie Rectifiers.
Another option is to look into a keyboard-style amp so you have a flat sound from the amp to run the V-amp through.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
The problem I'm having, is that when I try to crank the V-amp (I'm running it through a Fender FM212r) it starts to sound very harsh, and way too trebley and loses a lot of its fatness, and I was hoping that the head would be better suited for high volumes.
Quote by take_it_t
I know this may start getting a little price but look into something called Atomic Amps. They are designed for you to install a V-Amp, POD, or other modeler into the top. It's all tube and has a really great sound using modelers.

These things sound sick, but where the hell would I get one?
Get A V-Amp Pro, a tube power amp, a 4 space rack and a 4x12 cab (line 6 and Behringer cabs are both flat response so should work best with that setup).
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
^Good idea.

You could also buy a decent valve amp, and use the V-amp with that, if it'll work...
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by As a Holy Gift
These things sound sick, but where the hell would I get one?

Depends where you live. I know in Canada Long and McQuade carries them you'd have to ask your local store here's the link http://www.atomicamps.com/ . Theyre actually reall nice in real life, I didn't get the chance to play through one but they are supposed to be great, and full tube power. But it's a great way to combine your amp modeler and an amp.
Last edited by take_it_t at Jul 14, 2006,