Hi

I have a fretless bass which was only cheap anyway but its not very loud and I was wondering what the best way is to give it a bit of a boost.

I thought that maybe putting frets on it? Would I need to take a couple of milimetres off the heel joint to lower it a little to compensate for the frets or could this be done at the bridge?

I also think this would make it easier and faster to play. Is this the case?

Are there any better ways to make it louder?

I play it through my Fender Frontman 15G at the moment but I know this is not Ideal. Do I definately need a better amp or will this be Ok.

Gotta be a bit cheap whatever I do!

Thanks

RockinAlfie
Wait... you want it to be louder unamplified, or when it's plugged in?

It's gonna' be really expensive to put frets on from scratch.... just turn the volume up?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
If it's not loud enough at max volume on the bass, turn the volume up on the amp? New pots could work too. If you have 250k pots on, put on some 500k or something.
Oh crap!
Yeah it sounds easy but what I am getting at is that if I put my guitar through the same amp on full volume its pretty loud even for a small amp but if I Plug the bass in then put it on full its just not the same. I know that a bass is putting out lower notes so it is not gonna drown out a guitar but it is deffinately much quieter. I was also thinking of putting the frets on myself to save a bit of cash.

RockinAlfie
You know my neighbour has a set of drums and they're really loud unamplified... perhaps I need a louder guitar?!
Quote by EagleC
You know my neighbour has a set of drums and they're really loud unamplified... perhaps I need a louder guitar?!

Going back to the original question. Do I deffinately need a better amplifier.

I was looking for answers like the one about the pots which I hadnt thought of.

I was not looking for answers like turn up the volume. I had thought of trying that one first.

I am not sure what the above quote means but i suspect there is a hint of sarcasm there. I did not ask for sarcastic answers.

Thanks

RockinAlfie
try looking at preamps to boost the signal.
they have preamps at lots of places...check out stewmac.com

Also, basses need higher amounts of volume as compared to a guitar because they are low frequencies.
So maybe a new bass amp is in order.
ok, look I'm not trying to be nasty but the frettless bass is a different instrument so its going to have different qualities. Unless you're comparing it to another frettless bass the comparison is really quite meaningless.
Sure try the other stuff but why not just balance the sounds by amplifying the base more or the guitar less? It would seem to be not only the cheapest solution but also the right one...

I wish you asll the best with whatever you decide.
1) Add frets, and i will hunt you down and murder you
2) its a small amp. and from personal experiences, crap for a bass
3) buy a cheap 30W/60W bass amp
4)
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Ok, I understand.
There is enough for me to be getting on with anyway.
Thanks for your help.

Rockin Alfie
Quote by IndieMetalhead
1) Add frets, and i will hunt you down and murder you
2) its a small amp. and from personal experiences, crap for a bass
3) buy a cheap 30W/60W bass amp
4)

I will try a cheap 30W/60W bass amp and if it doesnt work I will put frets on DIAGNALY across the fingerboard and post a picture of it on here for you to see.

Thanks

RockinAlfie
Quote by RockinAlfie
I will try a cheap 30W/60W bass amp and if it doesnt work I will put frets on DIAGNALY across the fingerboard and post a picture of it on here for you to see.

Thanks

RockinAlfie

diagonally? wtf!?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Well, you're running a bass through a guitar amp, there's your problem.

Buy a bass amp, then your sorted.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
My typing is slow I am getting this all in a funny order. I will listen now and I will get a Bass amp and I will be happy with it.

I will not do anything to the fingerboard.

Thanks everyone and sorry for sounding a bit daft.

RockinAlfie
Yeah, keep playing your bass through your guitar amp and you'll blow the speaker .
#2 fanboy of Conor Oberst pm frd_mrshall to join
I play my bass through my 30 watt tube amp all the time, and yeah, it's still really quiet cranked all the way up. Bass frequencies just need way more power to reproduce.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.