Hey guys,

I'm after an all tube amp thats not overly expenseive. I've been looking around, and for the price that this half-stack is - it is much much cheaper than anything else. I would prefer a half-stack over a combo, but I dont really know the advantages of each - can anyone tell me why one is better than another?

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?title=GH50L

Is this an amp that will be good all around? It supposedly has good cleans, and the metal tones are also supposed to be good. I will mainly use it for metal, but I wouldn't mind if it could do other styles of music as well. But it has to do metal really well.

I dont really need anything more than 50W of tube power, but I dont really want anything smaller. I want to spend around $2000, but less if possible. I defintiely dont want another SS amp, or an SS with a tube preamp - it has to be all tube!!! And it has to cover both the quad and the head, or the combo.

Here are some comparrisons with other tube amps. (Remember that everything is LOTS more in Australia)

Mesa Boogie F-50 combo = $2,700
Peavey 6505 Head only = $1,800
Peavey XXX Head only = $2,700
Laney GH50L with 4x12 Cab = $1800 (I have also seen this package for $2,500)

I have seen the GH100L head on ebay Aus for $700. Would it be better to get a 100 watt head for cheaper, then just pair it up with a quad? I will be using the amp for practice and some gigs, although I'm unsure of the gig sizes at the moment. I think that the 100W may be too much for the gigs we willl play.....

Any help at all would be really appreciated. This seems like the best way to go, but if someone can provide an alternative, that would be great as well. I'll check out all suggestions.

Thanks,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Last edited by danastasi at Jul 14, 2006,
where are u in australia, some stores are doing the gh100l with 4x12 cab for 2 grand.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
Quote by namman05
where are u in australia, some stores are doing the gh100l with 4x12 cab for 2 grand.

I'm actually from Melbourne, but I'm living in Perth at the moment. If some stores are doing the GH100L for $2,000 how much would shipping be? I've heard Opeth use the GH100L, (I was at their show) and it sounded insane!!!

The GH100L with cab is about $2,800 that I've seen. Thats the cheapest I could find....

Cheers mate,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9