I listen to a lot of Oasis and I was wondering how Noel get's his open chords to sound so good and clear even with some distortion on them. Whenever I play open chords with distortion on they sound awful and you can't pick them out. Is it the amp or the guitar? Maybe both? Thanks
My Gear:

Guitars
Squier Affinity Stratocaster w/ SD Hot Rails (Bridge)
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey Studio Pro 112
VOX AD50VT Valvetronix
Ross Fame Series Bass 50

Effects
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay
Noel plays with his amps really cranked, that'll help get the sound, but you'll need to have a valve amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah, but when they play live often it sounds just washy and awful.
Quote by Burpin'Worm
You know what gets my goat? A shepherd. Urgh.

Quote by meh!
Pfft, everyone gets your goat, your goat is a goat-slut. She/he/it is like the village uni-cycle..all of the clowns have had a ride..and you live in CLOWN VILLAGE.
Quote by Droquen
I listen to a lot of Oasis and I was wondering how Noel get's his open chords to sound so good and clear even with some distortion on them. Whenever I play open chords with distortion on they sound awful and you can't pick them out. Is it the amp or the guitar? Maybe both? Thanks

it's a good question actually.

I think I can get a similar sound by having the gain volume up a bit, but the gain volume at a very low level, and you have to play with it here, it's a mix of gain and the volume knob on your guitar, somewhere around seven give or take two notches either way. try the gain between 2-3.

It's a cheap alternative, hope that works.
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
It's cause he uses old marshalls i.e. a bluesbreaker and cranks them to full or near-so. But they'll have been some, if a little recording wizardry done on the tone to make it sound so good on the record, so it probably won't sound quite as good live whether or not.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
Last edited by ArcherTheVMan at Jul 14, 2006,
Try picking farther down, closer to the bridge... I do this when I am in drop D because the tension of the strings is tighter near the bridge and you don't get that muddy, unclear sound you're talking about. That's just something you could try without changing gear or spending money. Hopefully, it will work for ya.
Instead of using distortion, use an overdrive pedal.

My playing style is mainly open and broken chords, and they only sound good with [a] a valve/tube amp and slight overdrive ("drive" at around 12 o clock).