Hey guys i've been looking at the Ibanez RG's and there seems to be lots and i've been trying to decide which are the best value. I guess i'm judging this on pickups mainly, and also on the trems. Does anyone here have a good idea of the hierarchy of their pickups?? Like which are better and which are worse? i'm looking to play mainly alt rock and metal.
Also the trems are confusing, i think there's edge 2's, edge 3's, edge 3 pro's. which are the best?? is there a clear best one?
If i want to stay under $1000 aus should i buy a 370DX and get some pickups from the prestige models and put them in? considering that i'm movin up from my first guitar and amp which are both no name crap i reckon i'd probably be content with a stock 370 for a while so does anyone recommend/derecommend the 370?

That was really long. I'd be very grateful if anyone can offer me some advice, preferrably from experience. Thanks
i havent played it, but from what i hear, you should stay away from any trem but the Edge Pro

i would recomend getting the RG321MH, because it plays very well and has a nice mahogany body, and is only around $300, which will give you enough to put to a nice amp, which is what most of your tone comes from anyway.

This way, you will have a guitar that plays great, but still hav enough for a nice amp, so it wont sound liek crap
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
The heirarchy of their RG Pickups are in my opinion:

Dimarizio/IBZ ("High End" Prestige)
V7 & V8 ("low End" Prestige)
Infinities (RG3xx or more)
powersound (whats left)

it basically in the order of presige

and if you gonna get one with a trem try get a prestige cause they got the EDGE Pro which in my opinion is the best and it got to be the best cuse prestiges, JEMS, JS's all have it . Other than that if YOU like the feel and if YOU like how it plays and if YOU like the trem get it. the trem might be the only downside and maybe the pickups (depends on your sound).
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
IMO the best value for money RG in production is the RG1570, just needs a pup change. Otherwise check eBay for old RG570's and other 5xx models.
Quote by 123-Trav
I guess i'm judging this on pickups mainly

DON'T! all ibanez guitars (excluding signature models) are equipped with lifeless pickups that need to be swapped. even the dimarzio/ibz pickups aren't as good as the most similar dimarzios.

, and also on the trems.
Also the trems are confusing, i think there's edge 2's, edge 3's, edge 3 pro's. which are the best?? is there a clear best one?

ibanez's current trem production on RG's include the edge pro and edge III. the edge III is pretty much exactly an edge pro but made with cheaper materials (softer metal). this will ultimately result in a decrease of lifetime on the unit. if this is your first floyd-style trem, or if you've never really abused one hard, you probably won't notice. the edge III isn't bad at all, really.

If i want to stay under $1000 aus should i buy a 370DX and get some pickups from the prestige models and put them in? considering that i'm movin up from my first guitar and amp which are both no name crap i reckon i'd probably be content with a stock 370 for a while so does anyone recommend/derecommend the 370?

1000AUS is around 750USD, right? if so, get the 1570 and save up for some better pickups (NON ibanez). you'd keep that 1570 for as long as you play guitar, unless you do a really expensive upgrade, of course

haha 1570 is about 1400aud mate. the exchange rate of guitar is simply not converting how much a guitar cost for you from usd to aud we have to pay the distrubutor, shop and middle man for the guitar
Seriously, the edge III sucks, ignore what that guy said about it. Because it is made of soft crappy metals the knife edges will wear away quickly and you'll be left with no tuning stability and a need for a new trem.

EDIT: Sorry azn, i didn't think about exchange rates. I take it the Australian dollar isn't particularly strong against the US Dollar/Sterling/etc? And shipping costs i suppose....
yeh and finding rg570 is like finding a needle in a haystack its possible but not worth it. and their is a RG570 selling in a guitar shop near me well actually like a 20 min drive away for sale at $1095 aud
ah, well i didn't consider those other things. my case is this: if you can afford the 1570, get it. if the 370 is the highest-end model in your price range, then get it.

Quote by codybcool
Seriously, the edge III sucks, ignore what that guy said about it. Because it is made of soft crappy metals the knife edges will wear away quickly and you'll be left with no tuning stability and a need for a new trem.

did you even read what i said?

yes, i said the edge III is not as good as the edge pro because it is made of softer metal which decreases life time of the unit. this does not mean it is BAD.

also note that i said that the softer metal issue is not noticable if you don't abuse the hell out of the thing. just because it's not an original edge, lopro, or edge pro doesn't mean the edge III sucks. sure, it's not as good, but it can hold its own, especially considering its price.

trav, if you want a 24 fret guitar with a decent trem for around 1000AUS, the 370 fits the bill. just don't mistreat it

edit: ibanez announced a 350 with a maple fretboard with black sharktooths, rumored to be out in october. it's a damn good looker and if you want to wait for it, i think it'd be worth it.
Last edited by ch1 at Jul 14, 2006,
who says i was in the mood of buying a guitar. btw i dont mistreat i just love doing divebombs, dimebag squeals, motorbike noises, elephant noises, and harmonic divebombs
lol, whoops, confused you for the OP :p
i'm just saying...don't abuse it and come asking why it's broken
i never accused you of it...geez.
I read exactly what you said and think you're misguided.

The Edge III does suck, what the hell is the point of paying money for one if it's going to crap out on you and lose all tuning stability after a few divebombs and a bit of whammy abuse. That's exactly what you get an FR for, to go a bit crazy and pull off some cool stuff, not to have to treat the thing gently because if you push too hard it's going to go hideously out of tune.
Quote by codybcool
I read exactly what you said and think you're misguided.

The Edge III does suck, what the hell is the point of paying money for one if it's going to crap out on you and lose all tuning stability after a few divebombs and a bit of whammy abuse. That's exactly what you get an FR for, to go a bit crazy and pull off some cool stuff, not to have to treat the thing gently because if you push too hard it's going to go hideously out of tune.

PRICE, you fool. the edge III is considerably cheaper than the edge pro.
considering the price difference, the edge III is not bad. if it's the best you can afford, it's decent. if you cannot grasp this concept, i think you are the misguided one.
edit: if an edge III is going out of tune after a little bit of abuse, it's not setup properly.
Last edited by ch1 at Jul 14, 2006,
nope the edge III can go out of tune after lil abuse while being set up its called crap knife edges
phil, you may notice a difference in tuning stability in the span of about 6 months, not a little abuse.
i'll agree that the edge III is not really that great compared to an edge pro. of course not. it's the cheaper alternative. and it's a good cheaper alternative.
it's like comparing a porsche to a volkswagen. is the porsche amazing? sure. does that mean that the VW is BAD? no. they are designed for different markets.
well then again i do believe volkswagen own porsche so therefore you could be comparing a low end to a high end of the same brand which infact is what this argument is about.
the fact that porsche is owned by volkswagen is exactly the reason i used it as an analogy. an analogy which apparently went way above your head.
comparing a low end product to a high end product reveals two important differences:
-quality, which the higher-end product clearly wins
and
-COST, where the lower-end product is clearly significantly less expensive, with the tradeoff that is is lower quality.
i give up on this. you clearly don't see what i'm saying.
yes but this does bring in the old saying that i forgot but is something like 'you get what you paid for'
..and paying 1000AUS for a 370 will fetch you a decent guitar with a decent trem, and paying 1400AUS for a 1570 will get you an even better guitar with an even better trem.
so..any point to your last few posts or are you just trolling?
people love to dump on stock pickups and licensed trems.. it's all part of that thing in our heads that says if only we had better gear, we could play better. anyway, the 370 is a great guitar for metal. as for the trem stability, i've had my strung up with 10s in standard E, and now with 12s in B tuning, and you know what? with the exception of intitial new-string stretching, the edge III trem holds tune very well.
as for the pickups, i had the INF bridge replaced with a Duncan Distortion, and while i would love to tell you that it makes a fantastic difference, it barely makes any at all. therefore, those stock INF pickups are not as bad as people would like to say.. for metal anyway. if you want a big difference, get yourself a much better amp. in the meantime, go for the 370.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!