Page 1 of 7
The time has come for a MUSE cover contest! What the the new album and everything.
Just post and say what song you're covering to enter.

Rules
1 song per competitor, but 2 different people can do the same song
You can do it by yourself or with a band
No backing tracks - meaning everything has to be done BY YOU not by muse
Use whatever instruments you like, including drum programs like acoustica beatcraft
Nothing is necessary, you do not HAVE to do vocals. Matts vocals are hard to compete with
Deadline is SUNDAY 30th JULY! ALL SONGS MUST GET TO ME BEFORE THEN.
I think I'll add another deadline, you must POST below if you're entering at least 3 days before (ie Wednesday 26th) Mainly because I don't really want last minute entrants.

Entries can be started as soon as you want. Email mp3/wma or zip files to muse@ndeman.com
After I receive them I will host them on my webspace for all to see/hear.
NOTE: Preferably make the mp3 quality 128.

We will do a eurovision style voting. Every participant will give points to OTHER covers. Each participant must give 3 points to one song, 2 points to another song, and 1 point to another.
The points will be added and the winner will get the joy of... winning!
Also I suppose we could get some extra judges to give points to each song.

I'll probably be adding rules as we go along but here goes!

Extra Judges
Draken
the_experience
Glen_Hansard
Gaz_m2k5
aaronni

Participants
yawn - Bliss
rich_sg - Knights of Cydonia (FAILINGS)
There There - Hysteria (FAILURE)
MadClownDisease - Stockholm Syndrome
metal_matt - The Groove (ALSO FAIL)
James porter 99 - Citizen Erased
JerrySeinfeld - Starlight
GuitarSymphony - Endlessly

aseme - The Small Print (BIG FAILURE)
thesumoftwo - Unintended (FAILURE)
bigman4240 - Plug In Baby

EDIT: the competition is over!

To listen to entries (all 5 of them) go to www.ndeman.com/muse/muse.html

username: ug
password: bellamy

If you're a judge then post your votes or pm them to me.
Last edited by Gaz_m2k5 at Jul 31, 2006,
YAAAAY count me in!

I still have to decide which song to do. So many awesome tunes to choose from

Btw, I like the style of voting. It sounds very fair - much more so than the other cover contest methods

Edit: Well, I've decided I'm gonna choose one of the following: Muscle Museum, Plug in Baby, Screenager, or Unintended

I might not do Screenager... It's one of my favorite songs, but not many other people seem to like it... Hm...

Hm... is "Can?t Take My Eyes Off You" a good idea? Muse covered it, so... I dunno... I'll let you tell me whether it is or isn't allowed

Edit again: Ok, I've decided it's gonna be either Plug In Baby, Muscle Museum, or Can't Take My Eyes Off You.

I'll just wait to see if covering a cover is allowed...

Edit again: Okay. Bliss, Muscle Museum, or Plug In Baby. One of those...

Which one I pick depends on which one I can make a drum track for.
Last edited by yawn at Jul 14, 2006,
I'm up for it. Only problem is I might not be able to put any drums to it, not sure when my drummers back from holiday. But if possbile I might do Knights of Cydonia or Supermassive Black Hole.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
http://www.bandman.co.uk/therift/ my band, the recordings are just me and the singer though, there is a hysteria cover we did very quickly. it isnt much like the origional. its downloadable. have a listen to our other stuff maby join up its a cool site.
just because you feel it dosnt mean its there
I've got band practice tommorrow, we'll try and record our cover of Stockholm Syndrome. In other words, count me in with Stockholm Syndrome which I will record and send ASAP.

And that's a great cover of Hysteria (to There There ^). Nice use of the guitar and good vocals.
cool peoples. can we get some "I'll join"s rather than some "maybe" answers.

I guess you can cover "can't take my eyes off you" but I will have to say it must be Muse like. The brilliant vocals define that track.

There There, if you want to enter, then say so. And then send me the track.....
I'll add peoples names now.

Aidy damage are you in or not?

Rich, you can always use a drum computer program. I recommend Acoustica Beatcraft. Although you can only get a free trial or pay for it.
Last edited by Gaz_m2k5 at Jul 14, 2006,
heheh, what a great idea. kudos for that one, mate.

*now breaks down and cries because my mic stopped working the other day *
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
All right then, I'm in. Is quality of recording going to be a strong marking point, because I really don't have very good equipment.
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
Quote by Gaz_m2k5

...but I will have to say it must be Muse like. The brilliant vocals define that track.

I can try the vocals of new born but i dunno if i'll manage to do the instruments properly. I'll definetly give it a try, but i don't know if im gonna be satisfied enough to join this contest. As i said. I will let you know.
Quote by rich_sg
All right then, I'm in. Is quality of recording going to be a strong marking point, because I really don't have very good equipment.
Pfft. I have a $99 guitar, a $100 amp, and an $8 recording cable. And a free recording program. Can't get much cheaper than that

Quote by Gaz_m2k5
I recommend Acoustica Beatcraft. Although you can only get a free trial or pay for it.
Or use Limewire
Quote by yawn
Pfft. I have a $99 guitar, a $100 amp, and an $8 recording cable. And a free recording program. Can't get much cheaper than that

I would watch what you're saying, Rich is VERY poor and is VERY touchy about it.
^ Well, it it makes him feel any better, my electric guitar isn't recording properly. That means I have to record my entire cover with just piano and acoustic guitar

And a drum program...

Hm...does anyone here think I should tackle Blackout? I have the keyboard synth to do the strings part...
Ok. I'm doing either Blackout or Muscle Museum. Which one should I choose?!
I'm gonna do Knights Of Cydonia. I'll do the bass today/tomorrow, vocals and guitar next week.
Quote by its_alive

Quote by ErnieBallfists
Blech. Okay, it's either Muscle Museum or Falling Away With You or Blackout.

Whichever one it is, it'll be with piano and acoustic guitar. Which one should I pick?

(sadly, I've spent like five hours trying out different songs trying to see which one I should pick)

Edit: Ok. I'm probably gonna do Falling Away With You. Anyone think that's a good idea? Or would it not be interesting? (I know a lot of people don't like this song)

Sorry I'm taking so long to decide
Last edited by yawn at Jul 15, 2006,
I like falling away with you.
I liked the "different take" of muscle museum more than the album version, so a cover of that could be interesting.
Come on people give me some confirmation.

I added; make the quality 128kbps to keep the file sizes down. No need for 320kbps really.
All right! I've finally decided!

Falling Away With You. That will be my cover.

This post is the result of nearly seven hours of playing around with different Muse songs, seeing which one I'd best be able to cover. Finally, all this hard work has come to an end...

Now time to actually record the cover =D
Im going for sing for absolution if there are any spaces left!!!
Last edited by James porter 99 at Jul 16, 2006,
Quote by metal_matt
Right I want to be a part of this so my muse cover will be either Muscle Museum, Screenager, Sunburn or Megalomania
DO SCREENAGER DO SCREENAGER!!!

That's an amazing song; I'd love to hear a cover of that =D
God I wish a had a mic...

I can do perfect Plug In Baby in terms of the guitar... Vocally I'd probably be okayish. I suprise myself sometimes...

Anyway good luck to all of you who can do it. :-/
Last edited by RadioMuse at Jul 17, 2006,
Yup, not too late at all. Read the rules, I said last entries to post here before Wednesday 27th (or whatever date that Wednesday is)

EDIT: the 26th
What criteria are these going to be judged on? Accuracy compared to the original (I hope not, direct covers are boring)? Skill of musicians? Originality? etc.
^ It's not that hard - whether it's a good cover or not is all that matters. Obviously, originality will get you points, and obviously playing to the tee like the original is an impressive feat, and obviously you can't do both at the same time.

I'm going for the "creative" route, seeing as my equipment makes it pretty much impossible to try to sound like the original.
Lol, i hope its not being judged on accuracy, im trying to get it close but its going to have a different twist thats for sure, infact everyones will, no one can sing like Matt Bellamy.
I'm almost tempted to do Enlessly.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
I can't record anything but i'll be an independant judge if you want.