Well, I'm going to buy a pedal but I'm really not sure which out of the two in the title (BOSS MT-2(Metal Zone) and OD-3(Overdrive).

I play things like Blues, Jazz (Don't really need any more distortion for that though...) and Metal and things of that nature.

I'm just stumped on which to get since both sound so good.

I'm wondering if the MT-2 is maybe too harsh? Or if the OD-3 can reach those Heavy Metal sounds well.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.
It Depends, what amp have you got?
If its low gain get the metal zone, and i think you will find it can do surprisingly good blues tone.
If its already got an o.k distortion on the amp get the overdrive and to get awsome metal tones dial in lots of gain on the amp and throw the overdrive in front of it.
Or you could get the boss overdrive/distortion pedal which is very versatile and could handle either.
I think a MT-2 is more versatile, but it also is quite difficult to get te sound right.
Alright.

Well, I play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard into a Peavey Rage 158... yeah shutup, I know... I need a new amp...

But yeah, I guess I'm looking for a versatile sound, something able to achieve a thick, smooth metal sound as well as a nice overdrive.
I have an MT-2 its a real cold but its a great pedal nonetheless. Its super hard to get the sound you're looking for though. It also can get a real crunchy sound with the distortion right down to 7 oclock.

Edit: It also gives you that nice chugga chugga sound when you palm mute.
Dude, buy a new amp. An overdrive or distortion pedal is not the answer to your tone woes.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
I'm not really concerned about the tone of my amp... I'm looking for a pedal right now. An amp later maybe.

Back to the question at hand.

Which pedal?
Go for the overdrive pedal if you have a tube amp to push it harder. If you've got a solid state amp, go for the MT-2.
My Gear:

Guitars
Squier Affinity Stratocaster w/ SD Hot Rails (Bridge)
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Amps
Peavey Studio Pro 112
VOX AD50VT Valvetronix
Ross Fame Series Bass 50

Effects
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
BOSS DD-6 Digital Delay
Look at the Keeley Modded MT or If you got the money a MAXON Sonic Distortion both amazing
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Also, I've now hear the DS-2 is good... and maybe that's an option too...

Feedback appreciated.
yeah i would say buy a ds-2, dont buy mt-2, or the blues driver and if you want to make the distortion more warm just buy an EQ and its perfect fo metal too, but the the DS-2 is good
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
They'll produce completely different sounds. I had an MT-2 bought for me but I took it back after a week because I just didn't like the sounds that it made. Far too harsh and trebely. I recently bought an OD-3 and I'm loving it. With that said I don't play any metal, but I use the overdrive (and EQ) on top of the clean amp model on my Cube and I get a nice smooth sound.

Basically, to acheive a good metal tone you're gonna need a new amp. To acheive an average, high gain metal style sound - and a few other lower gain sounds - go for the MetalZone.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
No chance in hell you'll get metal gain out of the OD-3 by itself.

An OD-3 is an overdrive pedal made to push valve amps, and the MT-2 is a metal distortion pedal, they're really really realy different pedals.

For what you want, either get a new amp, or get the Metal Zone or any better alternative.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah true, i play only grunge with my ds-1
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
maybe an electro-harmonix metal muff?
[Ibanez SZ320MH
BOSS SD-1, BOSS CE-5, BOSS CS-3, Crybaby Wah
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water