Has anyone tried any Soldano heads? I know that the SLO-100 is a high gain head, but what does it sound like? Bright/dark is it tight does it sound like _*insert mass produced amp name here*_. I want to know all my options before I spend a ton of money to get a half stack and I've never really looked at Soldano before but they have kind of caught my interest, so any info would be great. Ok now to Vader cabinets, I've heard that these are REALLY good for metal and a lot of bands I like use them, but has anyone tried them? Would I be better off with something else or are these really good cabs? Thanks and sorry for the block of text
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Every time I've heard one, they've sounded on the bright side. Not a whole lot of people really consider them "metal amps", but they are hard to beat for leads. I think I remember Dave saying he played one or heard one, this has been a while back tho.
Vader cabs kick ass for metal. They're all hand-made too, which is cool.

Soldano heads are awesome. The SLO-100 kisks ass, although it wouldn't be my first choice for metal.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
remember, Hair metal still exists.

George Lynch uses Soldanos for hair metal.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Ya the Soldano wouldnt be my first choice for metal either maybe for shred if your into that but not metal. Oh and Vader Cabs kick ass
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Cool thanks guys, Soldano's look cool and come in all those colors....Purple FTW! But yea if it's not a good metal amp, not hair metal, then I shall move on. Thanks again guys.
Soldano are AWESOME for lead guitar and shredding, but as a general purpose amp for metal lead and rhythm, I don't like them. They can't give me that thick chunky rhtyhm tone I need for metal. To me, if an amp can't pull that off, it's useless to me, regardless how good the lead tones are.

For hair metal though, it would work great. Anything more modern, and I'd get a Mesa, Genz Benz, or Peavey 5150 / 6506 or XXX.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Last edited by Crunchmeister at Jul 14, 2006,
What about amps like Rivera? I've heard good thinks about the Knucklehead.
Knucklehead kicks major ass. I tried the Knucklehead 6L6 and it left me with serious wood. Then I looked at the price tag and became impotent... They're seriously overpriced in Canada. Don't know what the prices are like in the US.

I don't know what the new price is but used it's about the same as what Mesa's go for used.
Our local Rivera dealer had a price tag of $2800 Cdn (about 2400-2500 US) on the 100W Knucklehead combo. And he wasn't willing to budge much from his sticker price since I wanted to trade in my 5150 combo against it. That was WAY too expensive for me.

Yea that's pretty steep, I doubt I would go with that unless I KNEW it was the amp for me.
I was at a local show a few days back and saw one of those vadar cabs. They look awesome and Although I couldn't see the head right from my angle and bad eyesight (damn myopia ) It sounded very very sexy. It was loud, but not ARGH it Hurts loud. It was like....Getting an hard tight kick in the chest from the bass, being sexed up by the mids and then being slapped by the treble.

EDIT: All in a good way.
Last edited by Tarzan_man at Jul 14, 2006,
In the US its roughly $1700-ish. But with that amount its within the price range of all the Mesa combos.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?
Soldano kicks ass !! It's SOOOOO thick........... but lead tones only !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by El Codyo
Every time I've heard one, they've sounded on the bright side. Not a whole lot of people really consider them "metal amps", but they are hard to beat for leads. I think I remember Dave saying he played one or heard one, this has been a while back tho.

wasn't me, I haven't tried them, unfortunately. haven't tried vader either...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?