Hey, i've got this brand new mesa/boogie f-50 combo.

Is it normal for the sustain to be ****ed up at lower volumes? At the lowest volume setting, the tone rings out for maybe 3 seconds, then starts to waver like crazy, before it kinda fizzles out. Is this normal?
Not normal IMO.... If it's new, it's under warranty, so bring it back.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
It does it on every setting. And only on low volumes. And only on drive channel. The clean channel is flawless. The thing is, i ordered it by post, so its hard to get it back to the store
Tubes are fragile and stuff like that happens. I had problems with my heat sink (cooling fan) in my Mark IV when I first bought it, which cost me 2 power tubes. But now, 7 years later, I haven't had to change tubes since. Contact Boogie and see what they say.
Hi, I'm Peter
wait, for tube amps dont you put it on standby first and leave it for a certain period of time then turn on the power
^Pretty sure you're supposed to turn on power, wait 30 seconds, then turn off the standby. At least thats what it said in the instructions.

To dirk: I can't really contact mesa/boogie, coz i don't live in the US
Inside the back, next to the speaker, do you have a clip with an extra preamp tube in there? I know my amp does. It sounds like a preamp tube problem and if you could swap it out, you'll be all set.
Hi, I'm Peter
I rented out a traynor YCV50 for a month and I also think something was fucked up with it cause the overdrive channel sounded significantly quieter than the clean channel and when it was cranked it gave me a really weird sound on the higher frets and I know it wasnt the guitar.
fire up the amp and look in the back at your preamp tubes and check if they're all glowing. If not, then it's a bad tube. Otherwise, contact who you bought it from.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
ive had that with tube amps before too, usually it was just because the tubes hadnt warmed up yet, leave your amp on for awhile and play and see if it progressively gets better.
hmm yeah, that is odd, you might just have a faulty tube, buts its weird that it only does it at low volumes
Hey, i just got back from talking to my guitar teacher. He said that it was normal, and it was because its not designed to play at low volumes, and its not able to pick up the vibration of the guitar at lower volumes. This sounds like bull**** to me, i mean, its a 1,500 dollar amp, it should be able to play at lower volumes! right..?
Quote by refgerto
Hey, i just got back from talking to my guitar teacher. He said that it was normal, and it was because its not designed to play at low volumes, and its not able to pick up the vibration of the guitar at lower volumes. This sounds like bull**** to me, i mean, its a 1,500 dollar amp, it should be able to play at lower volumes! right..?

i paid 60000aud for an rx8 yet its not the quickest in the world is it. your amp nots meant to be doing everything you want it too. thats why you usually try out amps at all different situations so when that situation does arrive you can trust the amp. otherwise just get another amp for lower volumes
Quote by refgerto

Your guitar teacher is the biggest moron in the world (relatively speaking).
Hi, I'm Peter
My Mark IV can be set for anywhere between 35 to 85 watts. I can set it at 85 watts, not turn the master volume up, just use the preamp volume controls and get sound for soft bedroom level playing. I've played 100 watt Marshall stacks before and set them for bedroom volumes. Any amp can get low volume sound. If it can't, it's defective. He's an idiot. And talking about picking up the vibration of the guitar... Good lord. It's an electrical current. The pickups take the vibration from the string, turn them into electrical impulses, and feed them to the amp, which colors and amplifies them. The guitar "vibrates" the same no matter what you have your amp's volume set on. A guitar playing to an audience of 25,000 vibrates the same as one not plugged in at all.
Hi, I'm Peter