is your bass playing influeced by people who do not play bass? say, you listen to music with alot of trombone or play trombone parts in band class.
Hard to say. I love John Frusciante's melodic lead parts, so I assume I take a bit of his influence when playing a non-solid bassline and improvising with higher end parts.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
yeah, acutally one of my teachers bigger influences is Miles Davis, among other non bassists, the idea is that you play it, and if you like it it may very well put it in your playing
Playin Euphonium for a bunch of years has taught me a thing or two about making counter melodies and such.
Jimi Hendrix & Brad Nowell for guitarists.
For other instruments I don't have much influenced by. I always admire the parts but I never could take influence upon the straight up scale runs of most jazz. Although I love Dispatch's and the Beatles' countermelodies and I'll try to add that into my playing sometimes, sometimes thats bass countermelodies. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
^ Finally listened to some Dispatch did ya?
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
outside of the bassworld, I'm most heavily influenced by drummers...especially Josh Freese and the work he's done with A Perfect Circle...Its just so energetic, rythmic and atmospheric and it clearly drives the songs, yet it is very simple and it doesnt go out in front to take the lead...I dunno, its kind of hard to explain but his work really inspires me...And I am influenced by his stuff in many ways, I take his style of drumming and apply it to my bass playing...

The end product is, you guessed it, a rythmic and atmospheric style of playing that usually drives the songs yet is usually simple and not as in-your-face as the guitars or other instruments...

But thats just one of my approaches to playing bass...I tend to shift styles depending on the song I'm playing but I love using this style whenever I can...
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Last edited by XeNoCiDe730 at Jul 14, 2006,
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Playin Euphonium for a bunch of years has taught me a thing or two about making counter melodies and such.

Yeah, Euphonium, trombone and tuba have given me a few different perspectives of the brass bottom end.
i have a lot of influence from saxophonist, i play bari sax, have for 7 years.. and i love all the great players
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Like Xenocide, I find myself really, really listening to drummers in songs. If a drummer has an unusual style, I latch onto it instantly, much more than I do guitarists or even bass players. Jazz drummers captivate me, it's been a great experience working with a jazzy drummer in a band I jam with, and I'm a sucker for an odd rhythm or pattern on the drums I can work with. I'm not a heavily melodic player, I will stick to a handful of intervals for each chord and work them into something interesting with the drums.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by SavedbyJaco
yeah, acutally one of my teachers bigger influences is Miles Davis, among other non bassists, the idea is that you play it, and if you like it it may very well put it in your playing

Miles Davis is like, one down from God, who is, of course, John Coltrane, my biggest overall musical influence, period. My other two big ones are Danny Carey and Zakir Hussain.
Drummers, metal and jazz, too many to name, same with guitarists, and them from all genres

but i take a LOT of influence from outside the "guitars/drums/bass/piano" box instruments or styles of playing, like:

an assortment of different stringed instruments like cello, violin, mandolin, banjo, lute, steel guitar (ya i know lol, still a guitar, but more about the style here) and a few more

also other instruments: synthesizers, the old school analogs of course saxaphone a little, the trumpet, and a few more but i really cant remember off the top of my head
dispatch, bob marley, jimi hendrix, reel big fish, rhcp. and after i read scar tissue by anthony kiedis, it helped. for all of you dont know anthony kiedis is the lead singer of rhcp. i think everyone should read this book.
^ dont make it a competition tho.

music is about 3 things: (well 2.5 kinda :p

1) having fun

2) expressing yourself through melodies and rythmns

3) doing 1&2 by playing instruments/singing etc.

im bad at analogy's and philosphizatin, but just remember dont make it a competition, only play bass and do the scales etc. if you feel its fun or think "if i can play this song, ill be real proud AND have fun, but do to so i need to do scales to practice up"
the guitarists from Judas Preist
because they are amazing, but they do very simple rhythm stuff with some very complex soloing skill
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
my bass playing is influenced a bit by vocals actually. some piano style and chinese piano you can hear in my style too. aside from that, you can hear some guitar melody stuff i intergrate into my rhtyhm playing. oh and my rhythmic playing is based a lot of drum styles, go fig.
Last edited by SocKo? at Jul 16, 2006,
I play trumpet and bass so I use the influences from the trumpet and kinda use it on my bass playing but I need to learn different techniques.
Im influenced by Steve Vai, Alexi Laiho from Children Of Bodom, John Petrucci from Dream Theater and Kirk Hammett. Really helped me develop my stuff on bass.
I originally played guitar (5 years) before I bought a bass (2 years ago), so I guess a lot of my guitar influences kinda rolled over into my bass playing. Irish bagpipe music does influence my bass stylings though.
Oh crap!
I think I may be influenced by some sort of wind instrument because when I play I do alot of rests

edit: giving it some sort of melodic trumpet/sax/whatever feel to it.