does an UNCRANKED jcm800 coupled with a boss SD-1 have enough gain for metal ala ozzy, trivium, dream theater. talking gainwise, not tonewise (tone would of course be amazing).

also if i got a 2 input one, would i be able to use an A/B box to switch between the 2 inputs, that way i would have a clean and a dirty channel?

last but not least, i'm also concidering a DSL 100. anything bad i should know about this amp? i know the 800 = vintage and 2000 = modern, but could the 2000 do the vintage good, as in does it still have that very memorable "marshall sound" ala ac/dc and such?

thanks all
Why not just use your JCM900? Its a higher gain, two channel version of the JCM800. Yesterday, for the first time, I played the JCM800 and loved it so much. I think you may have to get a overdrive pedal that can give a bit more overdrive.

For the 2 input one, which I played, it still has all of the same gain controls for each input so you couldnt really use it as two channels. Yes, the first input has a bit more gain than the second input, but not enough to make one a sparkling clean and a dirty.

I like the JCM2000 TSL/DSLs for their high gain channel, but I definately prefer the JCM800 for clean and crunchy overdrive channels.
OK

1) NO you would need the preamp cranked to get it to have some gain to it.

2) NO you can not A?B the two channels.

3) The DSL isnt amazing to me it sounds like you need a JCM 900 like it would be perfect for you you can get modern and Vintage tones. Two channels
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
but would the DSL get me good AC/DC tones? i really liked trivium's tone on ascendency, plus modern has a more liquidy feel, which i prefer for leads, but i alo want crunchy for rhythm. was thinking the dsl could do the crunchy rhythm by itself and adding more compression to it with my SD-1 would get the liquidy. plus i heard the cleans aren't half bad, which is definently a plus.

the 900 is great, but i feel like im missing out on great amps (dsl and 800), and in the end i could always trade a dsl/800 for a 900 if i must.

also which of the DSL and TSL has more gain, and which has better tone?
Last edited by jpetrucci5655 at Jul 14, 2006,
I think what you said in the first paragraph was right on. Great cleans, crunch would be great with the SD-1, and all that.

I really think that your 900 would be a 800 but a little better, and the 2000 would be a little different from the two. If the 900 isnt cutting it or isnt interesting enough, the 800 wont be any better for you. Get a JCM2000.

The TSL with three channels, I prefer and I think for what you want would be great. It will have your high gain awsome heavy channel, then a nice crunch channel, and then a great clean channel. With the DSL, it only has a clean channel and 1 overdrive channel so you would have to use that for both crunch and heavy.
but what i was thinking is my jcm900 needs just a little more OD to get the nice rhtyhm crunch for it, and the DSL/TSL has more gain, so it would do a nice crunch rhythm without the OD, and i could turn the SD-1 to get a liquid tone for solos.
i think i would go with the TSL cause then i could have
option 1: clean
option 2:clean + OD
option 3: light crunch, ac/dc riffing.
option 4: light crunch + od for ac/dc style solos
option 5: big crunch for metal rhythm
option 6 : big crunch + OD for liquid leads.

am i thinking right?
You are thinking right. And the TSL is definately for you for all of your versitility. Yesterday I had so much fun on it at the guitar store, changing around with the settings. You will have fun with it.
well, i bought mine for 550 euros, so i was thinking along the lines of 450, 500, but i live in france and it being a 2x12 it would cost a mother and a sister for shipment.
unless you are willing to come pick it up or pay the mother and sister lol
well, i bought mine for 550 euros, so i was thinking along the lines of 450, 500, but i live in france and it being a 2x12 it would cost a mother and a sister for shipment.
unless you are willing to come pick it up or pay the mother and sister lol. if you're in france it should cost as much as a regular 2x12.
yea I know thats the only problem. I wish I could buy it though. I probably would for that price, but I cant afford to pay a mother or sister, and comming there to pick it up would be pretty crazy and probably cost more than a mother and sister. sorry.
Dude... to get a crunch on a 900, crank the clean channel volume, and make sure the guitar volume is up.. with high output pickups, that'll sound pretty vintage. Use the overdrive channel for leads. Tht way you can have clean and crunch, clean and lead, or crunch and lead. It is a very versatile amp.

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

i cant crank the amp though. and turning the gain up on the clean channel would rid the amp of a clean channel, which i need.

really, TSL seems the best option for me
I would take a JCM900 over a JCM2000 any day, especially a dual reverb. It sounds like a 900 would better suit you, and with a descent OD pedal you can get as much gain as you'll ever need, especially with humbuckers. If you get an 800, look into later ones like the 2210, and 2205 and their combo's. JCM900's are basically bridges from modern to vintage amps in the marshall history, which is why they are often overlooked IMO. (to new for the vintage "don't make'em like they used to" crowd)
Guys, The JCM2000 and JCM800/900s are totally different. Neither is better or worse. He already has the JCM900 Dual Reverb and its not cutting it for him. If the JCM900 isnt cutting it for him, the JCM800 wont, and the JCM2000 sounds what hes looking for.
Quote by sHieZaN
tsl > jcm 900 anyday

maybe for you.

as mentioned, a JCM900 is closer to a JCM800 than a JCM2000
my problem with the 900 is that it has a good clean channel, a great OD channel for rhythm playing, but it's too raspy to make an awesome lead (which is essentially what i am looking for).
the tsl being more modern would be smoother and more liquid sounding.

and if the TSL doesn't suit my needs i can sell it and get a JCM800 2210 instead, and see if i like that better.
i can try one out at guitar center soon. if they only carry a DSL, how different do they sound so that i can get an idea of the TSL?

thanks

EDIT: check the clips of the TSL here:
http://adam02.dmusic.com/

pretty awesome i should think
Last edited by jpetrucci5655 at Jul 14, 2006,
you know Trivium used 5150/6505's and Mesa Rectos on Ascendancy right. Matt only uses the DSL live.

but id go with the jcm 800/900
R.I.P. Dime
"Forever Shred On"
Quote by chums
you know Trivium used 5150/6505's and Mesa Rectos on Ascendancy

i'll need written proof
its all over this form, and i saw it on some website of thiers, but ill look for it
R.I.P. Dime
"Forever Shred On"
awww man.
their tone was the base i was looking for. how can i get clips of how a tsl really sounds?
Crank the channel volume on the overdrive channel... I was disappointed with mine until I did that... now it sounds ****ing incredible. I have a 60 watt version of that amp btw. You can do this whilst keeping the master volume low.

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

are you talking about the jcm900? it doesnt have a master volume. just 2 volumes for the 2 channels.