Well for the last few months ive had problems learning songs. Often i tend to try to learn a song and i end up giving up after learning bits of songs. Plus i tend to not be able to play these songs in time. I believe my approach to learning songs is very flawed as i tend to just to look up the taband try to play it. I think i should really have a copy of the song with me to hear it but i usually dont.

Does anybody have any techniques that will help to learn songs and any approaches. When i give up its not that i dont want to learn the song, but i reach even the tiniest hurdle and i give up. Maybe im just lazy but can anybody give us some tips and pointers?

I also tend to not know what i should be learning and really need somebody to give us a sense of direction. Do you think i need a teacher? I often find myself playing the same lick or riff over and over because i struggle to make myself learn anything else.
yea you might want the actual recorded version of the song. most of the time when i practice a new song i get the tabs. play it. hear the song again. practice it again. then i play it with the song. so thats how i do it
OMG you admitted to liking korn and soad, you better delete that before some of the metal heads come in riding there new ego fueled cars to bitch you out .

#7 Member of "The Mars Volta Fan Club"
Quote by itson!
yea you might want the actual recorded version of the song. most of the time when i practice a new song i get the tabs. play it. hear the song again. practice it again. then i play it with the song. so thats how i do it

ditto
no u dont need a teacher. al u gotta do is get the tab of a song u know and like and learn your favourite part or the easiest part. then move on to different parts... say the most best sounding part eventually u will build up the song and i have donr that everytime. it takes me weeks to learn a whole songbut thats without listening to the track first.

hope this helps
Also, you can use Powertab software, which is free, and lets you listen to the song as you see the tab. But yeah, also consider getting lessons.
Quote by markoos
Well for the last few months ive had problems learning songs. Often i tend to try to learn a song and i end up giving up after learning bits of songs. Plus i tend to not be able to play these songs in time. I believe my approach to learning songs is very flawed as i tend to just to look up the taband try to play it. I think i should really have a copy of the song with me to hear it but i usually dont.

Does anybody have any techniques that will help to learn songs and any approaches. When i give up its not that i dont want to learn the song, but i reach even the tiniest hurdle and i give up. Maybe im just lazy but can anybody give us some tips and pointers?

I also tend to not know what i should be learning and really need somebody to give us a sense of direction. Do you think i need a teacher? I often find myself playing the same lick or riff over and over because i struggle to make myself learn anything else.

You might want to get guitar pro. There the program plays the tab for you, so you can play these songs in time. What i do is I usually grab a part of a song im having a hard time with and put on a loop at a slow tempo and i play along with it. Once its easy to play at that tempo i just turn up the speed
Quote by cokeisbetter
Also, you can use Powertab software, which is free, and lets you listen to the song as you see the tab. But yeah, also consider getting lessons.

Powertab and guitar pro are amazing programs for learning songs... I swear by them. When people take the time to tab even the drums etc, it can be almost like playing with a band...

Except theres no singer. And the drummer doesn't go out of time. And you have tabs. And you can pause. And people don't **** up and need to improvise. But.. yeah
Quote by sprkidjar
i'll give you a rimjob.

Ibanez RGT 42 DX FM TLF
Crate GT1200 Half-stack
Boss GT8
orangeacid.net

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.