ok, so i recently began listening to "rain dogs" by tom waits, and it's totally awesome and whatnot, but i was wondering....what are some of his other awesome albums?

discuss away people.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=92345857

and should this belong somehwere else? tom waits is pretty alternative in my book.

tossup

(yo, yo, yo)
official member of the Alice's Restaurant Anti-Massacre Movement.
Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, and Frank's Wild Years form a sort of trilogy of albums and all of them are great.

Tom Waits is my favorite song writer by far.
His first album, "Closing Time," is one of the favorites of my collection. Absolutely incredible. And it was before the growl singing thing - the instrumentation is lovely, his voice sounds good, the lyrics and music are outstanding. Love it.
Hi, I'm Peter
um lets see.... Alice (which is his take on alice in wonderland and was made into a ballet) Closing Time ( his first album when his voice didnt sound like he mixed whiskey and glass and drank it, and im not saying that his voice sounds bad) Mule Variations, Blood Money, Small Change
theyre all great you'll have to check them out
^ Yeah, I've heard Alice is really good, but I've never heard it.

I may attempt to track it down.
Quote by Dirk Gently
His first album, "Closing Time," is one of the favorites of my collection. Absolutely incredible. And it was before the growl singing thing - the instrumentation is lovely, his voice sounds good, the lyrics and music are outstanding. Love it.

Love Closing Time, 'Martha' is beautiful.
Yeah, "Martha" is one of my favorite songs, along with "Grapefruit Moon"
Hi, I'm Peter
I've always been very interested in hearing his work but everytime I can, I can't be arsed...
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Swordfishtrombones, Rain Dogs, and Frank's Wild Years form a sort of trilogy of albums and all of them are great.

Tom Waits is my favorite song writer by far.

This is pretty much what I was going to say *shakes fist*

I also suggest The Black Rider, but I would get Swordfishtombomes next if I were you.

And to anyone else who hasn't gotten into him yet but is interested, I suggest Rain Dogs as a first album.
the only time i ever heard of tom waits was in a fall of troy song i think, what does he/it sound like? sorry if i sound like a noob, I am.

i dont know what the Fuck this smiley is doing
Only other Waits album I own is 'Blue Valentine'. I prefer it over 'Rain dogs'.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Tom Waits' musical output should really be split in two halves. That is, before swordfisthrombones and after. His earlier work is more conventionnal singer-songwriter stuff(though still excellent). The best of those would probably be 'Small change' or 'Closing Time'. His second 'era' is much more in the vein of 'Rain Dogs'. Favourites would be Swordfishthrombnes, Rain Dogs, and Bone Machine(his three best IMO).
Anyone know why he decided to change his lyrical and vocal styles so dramatically?
Hi, I'm Peter
I've only heard What's He Building, before Muse came on during the Origin of Symmetry tour it would be played as the lights were turned off.
I must hear more stuff.
Must.
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
Quote by Dirk Gently
Anyone know why he decided to change his lyrical and vocal styles so dramatically?

Allegedly, it was because his wife introduced him to Captain Beefheart around the time he was writing swordfisthrombones.

I'm not 100% certain though.
Tom Waits is really too good.

cant pick a favourite album but ive been listening to Nighthawks at the Diner loads, I like it a lot.
Enjoy your worries, you may never have them again.

The Books.
Closing Time is my fave. "Ol' 55" is teh greatest.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Check out Early Years. Vol 2. It is a much better Closing Time in my opinion.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Fun Fact: In the movie The Outsiders, Tom Waits plays as Buck Merril.

My favorite Waits album is probably Mule Variations, but thats probably because it's the first one I heard.
Wade in the water, child.
Quote by AWA
Fun Fact: In the movie The Outsiders, Tom Waits plays as Buck Merril.

My favorite Waits album is probably Mule Variations, but thats probably because it's the first one I heard.

And he's the non-lethal weapons designer in Mystery Men.

That movie pwns.