A Tele question, I guess...
My son (15) is interested in beginning to learn guitar. He's never played any
instrument before. He has a birthday coming soon...I guess my question for you guys
is this...he wants a Tele...(Squier or Fender)...he likes classic rock...Stones, etc...
Are the Squiers a good starting point? Are they a good, basic guitar? Or should I
just get him into a basic Fender Standard Tele? You guys seem to have a good grasp
on the quality of new guitars. I'm not sure if he's gonna stick with playing, lessons, etc. This may be a phase.
So, all elitism aside, are Squiers a decent guitar? For a dad like me, the possibilities
seem to be endless...Fender offers like 100 Teles...If I get him into a good Squier...
(he likes the Standard in Vintage Blonde)...is it something he can learn on, and keep
for a while? I've visited all the sites he's referred me to, and quite honestly, I think
people are more interested in what kind of wood a guitar is made of, than whether or
not the guitar is solid.
Also, if I get him a Standard Squier...have it set up by a local luthier...wouldn't that be a good starting point for a new player?
I know amps are another whole issue...I think he needs a good, basic practice amp
for now...10 / 15 watts. Do you guys agree? Maybe a Vox, Marshall, Fender???
Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
I may be way off base, (and an old fart)...but my opinion is that he should start on a
good Squier...learn to play...see if he wants to stick with it (put in the time to practice,
and maybe after a year or two, move up to a better guitar?
By the way, I've spoken to one or two decent players who say that a Squier is a
perfectly good starting point for a new player...and with upgrades, can (may) be a
really good little guitar. I mean, this kid's nowhere near being a pro!
I'm leaning toward getting him a Squier Standard Tele...Vintage Blonde, with either a
small Marshall practice amp or a small Fender practice amp...
I'd appreciate any input from you guys...I'm kinda lost here...but wanna get him something he won't be embarassed with. Thank you all for any input!!
ive been playing for 6 months now and im still using a set up squire Strat and a 10 watt yamaha VA-10 amp. He wont need anything big if he's jsut learning + When he gets better you can jsut get new pickups put in the guitar like i did.
A decent Squier Tele would be your best bet. Cause you never know, he might hate guitar after a week.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Yeah the squiers a perfect choice, as for amps a vox ad15vt would be great for him but a low watt marshall would also be good
First, you're not way off base with wnating him to start small. It's the best way to learn and it will make him appreciate good gear much more if and when he gets it. The squiers are by all means a decent guitar, especially for beginners. As for amps, the ones you listed are great starter amps but as a suggestion look at the Roland Cube. It's a modelling amp so it has a few different sounds in it and for the price the Cube series is phenomenol.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Squier and good beginner guitars.

Standards i believe are a little higher quality but if he sticks with it you can always upgrade your Squier or get another guitar.

I beilieve the best bet would be to take him to a music shop and let him try some of them out so he can pick the one he likes best.

And any of those amps are great for beginners and are better than my 10 watt stagg i still have to use.

All the luck.
yeah theres nothing wrong with squire for begginers, might lack a bit in tone but it's fine to learn on.. and if you don't want to put a lot of money into a practice amp Crate makes some good cheaper practice amps. my crate did me well for a year or so.
For an amplifier get him a Roland Cube 15

it goes for about $100, it is 15 watts, and Its amazing. I think he will appreciate it too.
A Squire Strat is the way to go. All the people bashing them are too used to good gear to make an effective judgement. It's the kid's first instrument for cryin' out loud!

You can get a starter pack that comes with a small Fender amp, a strap, picks, an instrument cable, and the guitar of course. All for less than $300. And a good luthier will set it up so that it plays like butter, even if it sounds so-so. I would recommend getting him a good guitar teacher and make him promise to stick with it for a year, too. Just make sure the teacher actually plays the electric guitar and is willing to teach him some simple Rolling Stones tabs. If he stays with it for a year, come back here and we'll recommend an upgrade .

Quote by c0ld_3mphasis05
For an amplifier get him a Roland Cube 15

it goes for about $100, it is 15 watts, and Its amazing. I think he will appreciate it too.

He's into the Rolling Stones, not metal.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
I've been playing 3 years with a squire and its never broken down.
Back like 20 years ago cheap guitars sucked and would fall apart, but now quality has risen.
i used my squire tele for like 2 years or so for my first guitar and still love it! its a great guitar for a beginner and no he wont be ashamed of owning a squire beacuse they are good guitars, and as far as amps go i would say like a little 10 watt marshall or somthing maybe, that was my set up as a beginner and i loved it!
Man why are there 2 threads on diff accounts?

Anyway as i said in the other one Get the squire Standard Telecaster or if you want a bit better get a Fender MIM Telecaster.

And ampwise i do not know why people are recommending the cube. its good i got one but for classic rock VOX Valvetronix series PWNS.
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
Yeh the squier will last him a while but he mite get sick of the amp. If you get him a roland cube or vox valvetronix he probly wont get bored of it for ages.
MY GEAR

Cort G200 Strat Copy
Epi SG Deluxe (hand-made)
Washburn Dreadnaught Acoustic
Behringer GMX210
Laney HCM10
Zoom GFX-707
Behringer UM100
Behringer TO800
Crybaby Wah
Dont get a marshall mg get a vox ad15/30vt instead, The squier should be cool tho
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Also i just got myself a Fender Korean Strat.

Amazing.

If he sticks at it and likes the Strat feel i recommend this.

Also I no a dude whos in a band hes been playing for 7 years and he only buys Squires , and he can afford the American Series and all that.

Fender Standards and Squire for the win.
This guy sure likes his Squire and Vox AD50vt...seems like a good combination.
Quote by sethp
listen to RideTheAnger, he is wise beyond his years.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
0k, ive been playing 4 years and had a squire strat, great guitar for the money, and last week i upgraded to a epiphone iommi SG, but squire good guitars. I got a marshal DFX15 some or the other, and its great, for what i need at moment. I would recommend a strat over a tele though. And im 13, so im proberly around the same age
My opinion is that you should pay a little more and get the Fender. Its nicer quality. If he sticks, it will last longer, if he doesnt, you can hold on to it, and maybe in the future it will be able to be sold for more then you payed if you keep it in good condition.

For the amp, look at the Hughes and Ketter Edition Blue 15R. Its a great amp. I have the 30watt version as my secondary amp. They are very well made and dont sound bad at all. The Roland Cubes and Vox Valvetronix amps are good, but the 15watt versions arent on par with the 30watt and 60watt versions. Do not get a Marshall MG or AVT. They are bad amps compared to what you can get for the price range. People who have them and havent tried other amps, like them, but they dont know tone. Almost everyone on here hates the MGs and AVTs.

Another great guitar suggestion is a Godin Freeway Classic. That guitar is amazing. I have one and its strong, sounds amazing, feels better than a lot of thousand dollar guitars, and all. Its not too expensive either. I got my new for around $300-400. This guitar, in the long run will last him a while. I just recently bought a $3000 PRS guitar just because I wanted to treat myself. As long as he doesnt want to buy another guitar on impulse, he definately wont need to for a while with a Godin.

Good Luck!

Quote by RideTheAnger13
This guy sure likes his Squire and Vox AD50vt...seems like a good combination.

Thats this guy: http://www.dolphinstreet.com/
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jul 15, 2006,
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
My opinion is that you should pay a little more and get the Fender. Its nicer quality. If he sticks, it will last longer, if he doesnt, you can hold on to it, and maybe in the future it will be able to be sold for more then you payed if you keep it in good condition.

I highly doubt that a made in mexico Fender will increase in value.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
well i think the squier would be a good idea, my friend has had his for 2 years and hes still playing on his little squier practise amp. hes acutally really good wiht that thing. but the ups and downs are:

UPS
its cheap, if he doesnt like guitar you only wasted 150 bucks
its a prety good guitar for a beginner
if you get a tele pack you can get a cheap amp with it

downs
the more expensive the guitar is, usually its easier to play
if you really think hes gonna stick wiht guitar then go with a fender standard
but if you get the standard and he hates guitar, there goes 400 bucks

also you can consider getting stratocaster, they are alot more all-around then a tele, but if he told you a tele then go for it
The threadstarter mentioned that he would have the guitar professionally set up by a luthier, so playability isn't a big deal here.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83