I'm interested in painting some of my pickups a different color, could i do it without taking them apart? And could the paint mess with the electronics if I didn't take them apart? and what supplies should i use? please help

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
I woudln't do it, unless the cover can come off the pickup. Most single coils have a removable plastic cover that gets placed on top of hte pickup before it gets mounted down. As for humbuckers, most humbucker covers are actually attached to the magnets, and I woudl advise agaisnt tryign to paint around that. But if you have a cover you want ot paint, take if off of the actual magnets, scuff sand the plastic with 400 grit sand paper, primer color and clear.
if they are a covered humbucker or single coil then you could get away with not taking them apart as long as you do a good job taping them off. if the covers are metal then you will need to sand them with some 220 and use a metal primer, if they are plastic then you should sand them a little and use a regular primer and a color coat and a clear coat, try to get all of your paint from the same company though, ie duplicolor or a simalar brand.
you do risk having paint leaking into the coils, which could cause complications with hte pickup.
yea it really depends on if the pups are potted or not, what kind of pickups do you have??
ya single coils just tape, scuff and paint and uncovered humbuckers do the same but i wouldnt reccomend it for covered humbuckers it will mess with the tone and also it looks better to just get gold covers
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
i have a cheap black dimarzio pick-up (it might be dimarzio designed, the name is scratched off), and could you buy a emg style pickup cover for any humbucker? if so where would i get them?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"