I've looked at lessons and in few theory books but I dont get them, is it just you start the scale at a different point? or does each mode start at the original root eg C but you start the interval pattern at a different point to create a scale?
A mode is a scale using the notes of a major but starting at a different point. Having said that i personally find it a lot easier to think of them as totally seperate scales so i don't get confused while playing

Take C major
C D E F G A B C

To change it into a different mode simply start and a different note e.g dorian mode of C

D E F G A B C D

if you play that on the guitar it will sound like a totally different scale especially if you add empahsis to the 3rd and 5th notes as you would in a major scale

Does that make more sense

P.S whatever happened to the modes sticky in musician talk?
Last edited by doive at Jul 14, 2006,
Do a search within Musician Talk (I'd move it there but I don't mod this forum, only MT). This topic has been discussed many times in the past, especially within the past few weeks. You'll have many many hits on the search.
Looking for my India/Django.
thanks, I'll have a look. I just got confused because I was looking in a guitar theory book and under moder they had made different scales that had sharps and flats in it were they aren't usually

eg: key of c locrian

C Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C