Ive had conversations with people about how some famous guitarists hold their picks differently. I was playing aruond with it, and I found I really liked holding the pick between my middle finger and my thumb as opposed to the typical index finger and thumb.

Just curious, anyone know of any guitarists that do something similar? Ive been messing around with it for a few days now and I thought maybe I am just insane, lol
Eddie Van Halen, one of the world's most recognized guitarists uses that same technique because he likes to tap with his index finger.

Live life stronger than death.
Zakk Wylde

True knowledge is knowing that you know nothing.
Socrates

You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everybody dances with the Grim Reaper.
Robert Alton Harris

R.I.P.
Rhoads, Vaughan, Burton
slash does it also.. saw him do it in a video live with zakk wylde at the gibson guitar reunion concert
james hetfield holds the pick with his thumb, index, and middle...i'm not too keen on the thumb/middle approach because it lives your first finger flailing in the wind, which may create tension or slow you down
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Last edited by axe_grinder247 at Jul 14, 2006,
^I hold my pick with my index, thumb and middle aswell.
A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
I use thumb and index. I angle the front of the pick (the side closer to the neck) up as opposed to most people angling that side down.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I hold it with my thumb and index finger and I keep my hand open when picking and strumming.
#2 Member of Fender Whore Club
Rig:
MIK Fender Strat
Traynor 40WR
EH Big Muff
Boss Blues Driver 2
Boss Phase Switcher 3
Quote by Stop Messin'
OHHHHHHHHHH man LMAO now that's what i call getting pwned.

Nice work Fender, seriously.
i dont see any one play like me.. all the sreders out now play with their middle fingers out and flailing... kind of weird.. i hold it with the side of my index and my thumb and making a fist. dave mustain hold his with index and thumb while he got his pinky on the bottom of the pick up! he would be screwed with a straocaster haha
Quote by t.t deville
I have read somewere on the internet that Gibson Les Pauls are getting discontinued...is it true?
I think the proper way of holding it is with the thumb and index. That's how I play.

It's not written in stone, so it doesn't really matter. As long as u feel comfortable. I would recommend that u play around with it to see wat suits you.
Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM Greendayguitar, gdm09 or blues_rocker to join.

-Gibson LP Classic
-Fender American Standard Strat
-Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
-Peavey XXX w/Marshall Cab
I hold mine with my thumb and index finger, and leave the others slightly relaxed and use the nto prestrum or finger pick.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
FTW

middle and thumb= EVH
thumb, index, and middle= James Hetfield

you just can't argue with success
I have heard of the Thumb and indx and middle holding a pick

thats what i do and i think james hetfield does ??
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by Mistle
^I hold my pick with my index, thumb and middle aswell.

I do too. I'm pretty sure that Vai does too.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
you sir, are funny as hell.

Follower of the Church of Gilmour, PM happytimeharry to join
John Petrucci uses Index and thumb and he has really good technique and is way better then EVH and James hetfield IMO
I looked at a few vai videos and I saw him holding the pick normally, but I guess he's good to the point of being comfortable with anything and changes depending on what he needs done.

But have have notcied the index finger kinda hanging out, but the same time I hit notes much more accurately with my thumb and middle, lol its wierd
I hold the pick with my thumb and index (on the edge) and the side of my middle finger going across the edge. and when im whailing away (mostly on acoustic) i just use my thumb and index.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
I use my index and thumb and keep the rest of my fingers closed not open. I end up playing with the side of the pick sometimes.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
im weird, i hold it with my thumb, index finger and middle finger
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
Quote by rnrsoldier1461
im weird, i hold it with my thumb, index finger and middle finger

same
but i get better control
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
Quote by FenderWh0re
I hold it with my thumb and index finger and I keep my hand open when picking and strumming.

Same.

I hold it with the tip of the pick perpendicular to my thumb and in line with my index finger (which is bent 90 degrees).
Quote by Andrewsonfire
i dont see any one play like me.. all the sreders out now play with their middle fingers out and flailing... kind of weird.. i hold it with the side of my index and my thumb and making a fist. dave mustain hold his with index and thumb while he got his pinky on the bottom of the pick up! he would be screwed with a straocaster haha

i play just like that also makes it easy to play metalcore
Quote by Tenacious Me
I do too. I'm pretty sure that Vai does too.

every video and pic of vai ive seen has him usin his thumb and index with his other three fingers pointing straight out.

i do the same (i always have, didnt copy vai ) helps your palm mutes and whammy bar use i reckon
yea i like it a lot, but unfortunately ive only been playing for 6 months and not to the point of being even moderate yet. But i have noticed better accuracy, but my middle finger has trouble staying in that position and starts pointing outward which can hit the strings.

I guess it is a matter of getting use to it, but while it is held "correctly" it works fairly well. I think im gonna try this for a while.
I mess around with all different ways of holding it, but right now I find holding index to thumb easier to control.
im different i grew out my middle and index finger nail so now i dont have to use a pick. i use the idex for normal picking and the middle for when i play arpegio classical kinda thing. wiht chords i use the index going perpendicular to the strings so i makes a nice clean sound instead of the pick sound. everyone i knwo thinks its grose. but when they forget a pick to a gig or somting its not my fault.lol
Quote by Zakhammetman
Eddie Van Halen, one of the world's most recognized guitarists uses that same technique because he likes to tap with his index finger.

RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator