I just looked up the tab and I was wondering if the Cowboys From Hell riff is really played like

|
V
this?
S S S S S S S S S S S S S S E
|-------------------------------|
|------------2---2------------------0-|
|-2-----2---0---0---1---0---1h2---|
|-0--3-0-3---3---3---3---3-------|

cause I've been playing it
0-3-0-3-5-3-5-3-6-3-5-3-6h7---

and it seems like doing the Es and the As with the 5th at the songs normal speed seems really hard...well maybe it wasnt for dimebag, but do you guys use the 5th when you play the riff?
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
The first one is the most correct one I think. I play it like that, and I learned it from a magazine... I don't think it's E powerchords though, just E's. I'm pretty sure you can see how Dimebag does in the video from Ozzfest on youtube
On the video for the song (the DVD from their greatest hits) he doesn't play the powerchords. He plays alot of things differently to what most of Pantera tabs are.
0-3-0-3-5-3-5-3-6-3-5-3-6h7---

im pretty sure this is the correct way
dimebag plays it like the top version you have there. he plays the intro the same way pretty much but at the 12th fret. you can see him play it really well on the monsters of rock video from 91 with AC/DC and metallica. either way would sound alright though i think. i like the top version better especially if you are playing the whole song and not just the riff.
November '03 Guitar World:

"After I'd gotten that part down, I came up with a heavy variation on it that uses power chords in the open [first] position." (Dimebag talking about the intro riff to Cowboys From Hell)

The article's accompanied by a tab Dime wrote showing the riff using power chords.
I have a guitar anthology book, and the tab the threadstarter wrote is how its written in the book, but it doesnt sound right at all.. The tab opeth wrote sounds so much better.
'And if this clock keeps beating down, let the branded time keep playing, of all the minutes that were taken away, will your watch be waiting.'