hi. ive been playing (or jamming for the most part) guitar for 2 years, and i think its time i learn some music theory. ive asked my guitar teacher so were going to start. the main problem is that when im writing songs for my band, i seem to only be able to write with powerchords for the most part, will music theory help with this? and i already know how to turn the powerchords into regular chords by telling what note i play them on but besdies that will learning this help me write better songs?
yes
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Music theory helps in all respects. The UG theory lessons are a good start point and your teacher will be able to fill in any gaps

here's a start so you can avoid just power chords

Maj min min Maj Maj min Dim
A Bm C#m D E F#m G#Dim
(in A major)
ummm yes.... duh... how do you write solo's and riffs?

tadaaaaaaa.... with theory!!!

sorry... not being a prick.
i dont understand any of the lessons on here or what yu just said (Maj min min Maj Maj min Dim
A Bm C#m D E F#m G#Dim
(in A major))
so im hoping my guitar teacher can explain it to me easier, im only 14
ok, if you're only 14 and you never studied theory before, learn the ABSOLUTE basics...follow these steps

1. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
head here and just grasp the concept of the first few lessons

2. reduce your signature's font to a decent size

both should help you with theory
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.