Page 1 of 7
IF YOU DONT LIKE ME THATS FINE, GET OUT AND DONT TALK SH*T

alright after some trash talking on my other thread, i closed it.

on this one it will follow my build. so far i got the body fabricated and assembled. i still have to cut the hole for the pickup and pot and input, but those are minor compared to what i have left to do.

the body is made out of solid steel with 1 1/2 channel for the sides and 18 guage steel for the top and back. theres no bracing inside the body holding up the top because THERE DONT NEED TO BE. with where the bridge is going to be it will mount directly to the channel, not the sheet metal top.

i have got the neck figured out which will be made of steel as well. NO PART OF THIS GUITAR WILL BE WOOD. altho i do like wood guitars im going for something different. whether or not its been done like this before i dont care. its different for me. but i have all the neck dimensions planned out and just need to make it and weld it to the body. so far heres the pics i have, theyre sh*tty because they were done with a webcam since i dont have my digital camera back yet.

Du Hast Meche

Member 21 of "I Survived UG Pwn Day"

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
^Yes it will
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
looks cool, i wanna know whay kinda finish you are gonna use on it ?
And i reck its gonna sound really thin, with hardly any bass, thats just a guess though..

Good luck dude ! hope it goes well
How are you slotting the fingerboard? How is the neck going to be attatched to the body? How are you going to carve the back of the neck?

oh i forgot to mention its filled with foam that will reduce the echo and tinny sound of the metal. but just to be safe ive got some really heavy guage strings to use on it.

and baconfish, edwardthegreat...read the first line of my original post
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
how are you gonna finish it? i reckon it will look pretty awesome but will most likely sound ****. ive seen people make metal guitars before and they turned out alright as long as they're not too heavy
back of the neck will be shaped by the fact im using a piece of steel pipe. im not slotting the fret board, im using thick steel plate and carving them out of the fret board, i think. if i do slot the fret board i will just use a band saw. and the neck is going to be welded to the body, to save room on the front of the guitar.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
im gonna leave the finish bare metal, im just gonna seal it with a metal sealer. but i decided for anyone who looked at my old thread, im gonna using a buffing wheel on the metal to make it very shiny instead of rusted.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
That'll be sweet.

It would look totally awesome if you let parts rust, and polished other parts of it, then clear coated the thing.
What pickups are you going to use?
I hope you like thick necks then I guess.

How do you plan to use a bandsaw (if you do decide to slot it) to slot the fretboard? Do you have any way to keep the cut consistenly deep for all the slots? What about if you're carving it, do you plan to draw out the scale on the neck? How would you get intonation correctly? Are you attatch the neck to the body before you install the bridge?
ive got a high output PAF style i got from a buddy of mine who works at a guitar shop. its rated pretty high, i think its around 10-12K or something like that. i really dont remember.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Quote by metalmilitia74

I didn't mean to offend you, but metal isn't known for it's tonal ability, it'll look cool, but it'll have a really thin sound to it. You're gonna need a really good amp to make it sound good.

But other than that, good luck.

You're probably gonna have to powder coat it so the finish will look good.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
actually i do like thin necks they are easier for me to play. as far as using a band saw weve got guages in our shop to only let the blade cut to a certain depth. yeah if i carve it out. i will draw the scale length on the fret board, then measure around and mark each fret width and height and then take out what is necessary. as for intonation, i got alot of metal to f*ck around with. and yeah im gonna attach the neck before i put on the bridge, so i can correctly position the bridge at the right length. im not even cuttin the pup hole until the neck and bridge are set.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
when its done, this things gonna have a lot of attack, and not much sustain. it will probably also have no bass response. metal looks cool as hell on guitars, but sounds aweful, whichis why most guitars use a thin metal cover over a wood core. if metal sounded good, don't you thinkyou'd see more solid metal guitars on the market? (other than resonators, but thats a different story, as resonators are hollow, and supposed to have lots of attack, and a tinnyish sound.) i also reckon it will feed back like crazy... itll be sick looking though, i just recomend sheet metal around a wooden core.
Last edited by freedumb at Jul 14, 2006,
Quote by metalmilitia74

Hey, I've not got anything against you at all, I was just pointing it out.

It will probably at least look decent however.
I hope this guitar is going to be purely for show.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
you could make it fretless
MEMBER 6 OF I <3 Online Putt Putt Group
Puttsecks?
Quote by DoTheEvolution
I like peni better. It sounds funnier.
"a group of naked guys jumped me, I have never seen so much peni ."
he likes peni

Captain of the Rage Against the Myspace Club. PM Bloody Mary to enlist.
^^I was thinking about that also. but i know intonation is different, on a fretless as oppose to a fretted neck. i just dont want to have to re-learn how to play, just cause i make it different.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
^ Make it different, or better?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
^what do you mean, will?
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
Are you at all afraid of contracting Tetanus from the metal body?
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

lol. not at all

with a sealer and smooth edges i think ill be fine. its not like i plan on slitting my wrists with the thing.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
yea plus most everyone has had a tetanus shot, id be more worried about things that actually happen like spontaneous human combustion....
lick my balls yeah...

you couldnt be lucky enough for me to slit my wrists with the thing...lol

but yeah i had all my tetanus shots so i dont worry about the dumb sh*t. i got more stuff to worry about, like my son pulling it off on him or something. ill porbably have to hang it on the wall.....does anyone have a stud finder????
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
ive tried that and it dont work. the studs in my house are balsa wood i think...lol my house is so cheap. i need like somthing industrial.
Du Hast Meche

Quote by HugoMadizon
What is a pup?

Quote by azn_guitarist25
sir, are you a retard.
most studs are spaced 16 inches apart, so you can figure where a stud is by taking a mesureing tape and finding a spot that is a multiple of 16 (ie 32, 48, 64, 80 ect) this has worked pretty well for me.
Off Topic: Sempri Fi, did SRV really say that? (referring to your sig)
My Gear:
Fender Japan Strat (80s)
Gibson SG Standard
Epi Goth Explorer (FAV)
Fender HotRod DeVille
Ibanez TS-9
Akai Wah Pedal
Quote by SHANANDO

Seriously, this sounds like a pussy squable from Saved By The Bell or some **** like that.

just to say

you talkin bout welding the neck to the body- how do you plan to keep the entire body from warping from the heat??

i mean- ive welded alot- and i know for a fact that unless your extremely careful- or have some thick ass metal- it tends to warp on ya

also- you are you planing on carving the frets?

and last- is there just a piece of metal theres- or is it a square box kinda thing- that you will fill with foam?
tetanus id be more worried about a broken back

and yeh that will warp imo cant you just grind out a neck pocket and then fit your metal neck to it

and is it just me or is that body already warped cause it looked like it to me

THANK YOU
i wanna see neck joint. and have you figured out your nut aswell what about the tuners. also is your headstock is going to be at an angle? are you going to be using string tree? are you going to have a neck volute?
If you're making a metal guitar, i suggest making it it SOLIDLY out of metal, as in a chunk of metal. Yes its heavy but the sound will be better than a hollow one as metal is a dense material.
this thing sounds sweet, it might sound bad, but it'll look cool as hell if you shine it like chrome. and even after it rusts it'll still look like a heavy metal machine
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Frettless guitars have horrible sustain, so if what freedumb says is true, it will have basically no sustain, so its not a good idea. Cool idea, but it would sound alot better if you had a wood core. And maybe you can get a carbon fiber neck? I read some posts on it and its supposed to sound ok, and it would kinda fit your theme.
Last edited by -jeff- at Jul 15, 2006,
Vigier make a fretless guitar with a metal fretboard. Apparently it adds back the brightness that you lose and a bit of the sustain.
bumble foot uses a fretless guitar. listen to Speak When Spoken To - Freaks Kitchen and listen to the solo its done by bumblefoot on his fretless