Alright..

So for a bit, I was thinking about upgrading to an Ibanez SZ720, then when I get enough money I was going to grab a tube amp.

However, something else just popped in my head.

What if I got my Epi SG all tuned up so the playability was better, and upgraded the pups? That's cost about 120-150 for the pups and 20ish for the tune up.

Then, I could grab a tube combo off ebay for about 500-600.

I'd have about 500-600 to spend at the end of summer. So I could get an Ibanez SZ520 or SZ720 (Depends on if I make a bit more than 600 or not, but I'm pretty sure 500-600 will be the most I make). Then I'll have to wait to get a tube combo.

Now, if I get a tube combo first... I could use the money to grab a slightly used YCV50 or another amp good for modern rock/punk/punk rock/pop punk/light metal. (Those are the genres I need the amp to be able to perform well with, by the way). I want nice gain, from as light as classic rock all the way up to the sound Gavin Rossdale gets in Bulletproof Skin.

Anyway... If I upgrade my amp, I'll be able to sell my cube 60 for about 200 on ebay. (It's mint condition, hardly used outside of bedroom practice... so it'd make an EASY 200 after shipping).

So that'll boost my budget up 200 bucks, which should pay for a new set of strings, pickups, and the guitar tuneup.

Which do you think I should do?
always amp first!!! the amp is roughly 75 percent of your tone, so it will make the greater difference. unless your guitar is unplayable, go for the amp.
Quote by freedumb
always amp first!!! the amp is roughly 75 percent of your tone, so it will make the greater difference. unless your guitar is unplayable, go for the amp.

It's not really unplayable... I mean, I can hit all the frets fine, everything works but.. the sustain isn't really as good as I'd like it to be.
Amp, for sheezy.
My rig, homes:
Godin Freeway Floyd w/ Bill Lawrence XL-500 in bridge
Dunlop Wylde Wah
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Crate XT120R
SIT Strings 9-42
Dunlop Gator Grip picks 1.5mm

Want:
MIM Telecaster
Ibanez RG 1570
Crate Blue Voodoo
just give your guitar a nice setup, and get a new amp. trust me, a better amp will benefit a ****load more
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
a ****ty guitar will sound good through a good amp, a good guitar will still sound bad through a bad amp... plus epi sgs arent half bad (unless its a special or junior.)
Quote by freedumb
a ****ty guitar will sound good through a good amp, a good guitar will still sound bad through a bad amp... plus epi sgs arent half bad (unless its a special or junior.)

Special.
i started out with a squier and a 30 watt Solidstate Traynor amp.

then i got a real fender..........a tubescreamer and a crybaby.........and then i got a Traynor Custom Valve 40.

Getting the tube amp is what put my tone over the top....i love it.
Id get the amp first....and i'd definetly go Traynor...they are great amps
Signature
even the special isn't too bad, ive played them at guitar center, and they sound good, just have muddy pickups... but you could change them anyways.
Go for the amp first, for sure. After that, getting pickups is up to you, but you may want to keep saving your money and eventually get a new guitar.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
you could even wait a little longer and get an even better amp, not saying that the Traynor is bad, but once you go into the $1400 range, thats when you actually have options for tube amps.
Ibanez -> Peavey -> Eardrums

Apparently I'm on some list of people to listen to..?