hi, im going to buy a strat type bridge and was wondering if the string spacing mesurments mattered if i'm not replacing a bridge?? im just getting one for a unfinished strat body that im building up.

thanks in advance
Quote by krad2004
hi, im going to buy a strat type bridge and was wondering if the string spacing mesurments mattered if i'm not replacing a bridge?? im just getting one for a unfinished strat body that im building up.

thanks in advance

Yes it does matter. For example, the MIA Strat bridge is 2-7/32", same as MIJ and MIM vintage re-issues BUT bigger than the MIM Standard Strat bridge.
sorry guys, the body is routed, by unfinished i ment no paint or screw holes, it looks like it hasn't ever been built up before.

how should i choose a bridge then?? the one i was going to buy has 2 1/16ths E to e string spacings.

thanks
Quote by krad2004
sorry guys, the body is routed, by unfinished i ment no paint or screw holes, it looks like it hasn't ever been built up before.

how should i choose a bridge then?? the one i was going to buy has 2 1/16ths E to e string spacings.

thanks

The best thing to do first is to verify the body it came from ... if it's MIM Fender Standard or the "cheaper Squier or Korean or Chinese, then 2-1/16" is the correct bridge. If it's MIA or MIJ or a MIM re-issue, then the bigger bridge should fit.

If you want to be on the safe side and the holes haven't been drilled yet, then get the smaller bridge.