does anyone know how steve vai gets that sound from his guitar on the song for the love of god, the clear love sounding sound
is it his pickups or the amp or what?
Carvin Legacy Amplifeir+Custom Ibanez Guitar(equiped with a fernandez sustainer system)= How Vai Gets his sound...Oh and 95% of his tone comes straight from his fingers!
why not create your own tone instead of trying to buy someone elses? thats what seperates good guitarists from great ones.
Quote by Xx~Opeth~xX
if i was to buy all of that, how much would it cost?

*cringe* It would cost in the range of...$1300 for the amp, No idea for the guitar, and ...you wanna buy steves fingers???jk
hahahaha
well ive been saving up for a while, and i have 2785 dollars, do you think thatd be enough for everything lol except his fingers
Yeah, look for your own sound, then try to tweek around for Vai's tone.

And his 6 string is $2099, his 7 is $2329.

EDIT: and don't forget about his signature pedal too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Morley-Steve-Vai-Bad-Horsie-2-Contour-Wah-Pedal?sku=150751
As I see the ignorance of humanity engulfing reason and sanity like a wave of perpetual defeat and misery I ask myself, when the hell is everyone going to shut up and actually think?
get a Jem

IMO the single greatest guitar on the face of the planet. I tried one at the store and fell in love with it... but then I looked at the price tag and went wee wee wee all the way home.
I dunno about the guitars, They're the JEM Ibanez Models heres a link there arent any prices on the site though...I'll look for them though
EDIT: Oh...I was too late!
Last edited by ClayJohnson at Jul 14, 2006,
Are you guys nutz ??

For the Love of GOd was recorded with BOGNER XTC 100b !!! Now known as the Bogner XTC 101B....

Carvins are poor man's XTC !!

THere are lots of testimonies around the net saying that they've went backstage, and couldn't find anything but BOGNER XTCs on STANDBY before the show !!!

Just look at the G3 '96........ he tweaks his XTC everytime !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by Xx~Opeth~xX
does anyone know how steve vai gets that sound from his guitar on the song for the love of god, the clear love sounding sound
is it his pickups or the amp or what?

C'mon you don't wanna sound like Vai. Get your own tone. You think he got famous by copying his heroes exactly?
you want a clear-sounding neck pickup, through a cooking tube amp (el34 tubes, most likely), boosted with a boss ds1 distortion pedal. and some delay/reverb.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^^You're willing to spend thousands of dollars to cover him? Last I heard you didn't need the same tone to cover a song. Buy a different amp, unless you want this one for its sound and not to be like Vai.
didn't he do FTLOG on one of those 7 string universes (same basswood body, no monkey grip)?
and I think he was using Dimarzio PAF Pros at the time (neck pickup mainly in that song), which prettymuch still is the standard for a shred neck pickup

No idea about his amps at the time (Marshalls, Bogners, no idea what else he used... one of his new Carvin sig models should probably be able to do it, of course you might end up sounding too much like Vai which may not be good)
Quote by seljer
didn't he do FTLOG on one of those 7 string universes (same basswood body, no monkey grip)?

Yeah that's what I heard.

So the best pups would be an AN neck and SS bridge for a 6 string (which aren't stock on the jem anyway.) Plus he used a modded Marshall on PAW (from what I remember.)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
^ didn't he use blazes on the 7 string?

anyway, to be honest, you don't have to have the exact pickups etc. You only need to get close. Heck, I can get close enough with my setup (ibanez RG, not even dimarzio pickups, engl amp). DM paf pros or evos would help, though. They definitely sound slightly more vai.

But it's mostly in the fingers, seeing as how vai is pretty good...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
that ds-1 is also keeley modded, he uses a ts-9 flexi mod from keeley as well
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
In 1990 that Boss DS1 wasn't modded

and yeah, checking on Jemsite, the Universes came with Dimarzio Blaze IIs stock

Universe pickups - All Universe guitars feature the DiMarzio Blaze-II pickups. There is no Blaze-I pickup. Often in literature, it is simply called the "Blaze" with no distinction between the neck and bridge models. This is referenced to the DiMarzio "Steve's Special" 6-string pickup as the tonal charts are quite similar to the Blaze-II

Pickup Model & Number Output Treb Mid Bass DC-Resistance
Blaze-II Neck (DP700) 280mv 6 4 6 15.80K
Blaze-II Bridge (DP702) 380mv 6 3 7 20.75K
Steve's Special (DP161&161F) 390mv 7 4 7 17.89K

and looking on the Dimarzio site, Evolutions are much more midsy according to their charts, and PAF Pros are rather flat

though then again, he might have been recording the album with a prototype of the thing, so there might be something else in there
Last edited by seljer at Jul 15, 2006,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ didn't he use blazes on the 7 string?

Yeah, but the SS, AN combo is the closest to those for us 6 stringers.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by bluespunkmetal
Are you guys nutz ??

For the Love of GOd was recorded with BOGNER XTC 100b !!! Now known as the Bogner XTC 101B....

Carvins are poor man's XTC !!

THere are lots of testimonies around the net saying that they've went backstage, and couldn't find anything but BOGNER XTCs on STANDBY before the show !!!

Just look at the G3 '96........ he tweaks his XTC everytime !!

It was a modded Marshall JCM800, an Ibanez Universe with Dimarzio Blazes and some effects and stuff, Vai wasn't using Bogners at the time.

You aren't going to get that sound, I've been told the Marshall was modded completely uniquely.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Last edited by Prophet of Page at Jul 15, 2006,
Quote by power freak
Yeah, but the SS, AN combo is the closest to those for us 6 stringers.

aye, that's what I figured you were getting at, lewis.

I still think a paf pro sounds more characteristically "vai" than an AN (whether or not it's closer in spec or not), but obviously that's totally subjective.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by seljer
In 1990 that Boss DS1 wasn't modded

True. but now during his live shows, he doesn't stop and say, "well, gotta switch back to the old DS-1." There is a switch on the keeley mod that changes it from stock (with the internal upgrades, of course) to the fatter, more distortion sound.

the mods don't change the sound, they just improve it and make it more versitile.
Quote by yorkshireterror
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
But that doesn't mean you need the Keely mods to get the Vai sound either
Whoever said carvins are a poor mans xt needs to f***ing shoot themselves because carvin makes some of the most high quality amps for the best prices.

Carvin and Mesa make the best amps there is these days.
Quote by seljer
But that doesn't mean you need the Keely mods to get the Vai sound either

i know i was just trying to prove a point
Quote by yorkshireterror

i <3 breakdowns
Quote by Ihearthetfield

Bull****.
Quote by Ihearthetfield
Whoever said carvins are a poor mans xt needs to f***ing shoot themselves because carvin makes some of the most high quality amps for the best prices.

GG you're an idiot.
^ +2.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ClayJohnson
Noone here like's cavin?...

No, we just disagree with the comment that Mesa and Carvin make the best amps available today, which is pure bull****.
Oh, so your not saying carvin is not good, you're just saying that there are many other good amps besides carvin and mesa. Such as(framus,bogner,orange,marshall,deizel, vox, ect.)
Carvin make some very good amps for some very good prices but they do not make the best amps there are. Mesa Boogie make some pretty good amps as well (if you're into that sound) but for some not-so-good prices.
Quote by freedumb
why not create your own tone instead of trying to buy someone elses? thats what seperates good guitarists from great ones.

Because maybe the tone on that song is perfect for the type of music he wants to create?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Because maybe the tone on that song is perfect for the type of music he wants to create?

OWNT
Quote by ClayJohnson
OWNT

While his point is valid, I fail to see the ownage.
Quote by electrik
While his point is valid, I fail to see the ownage.

Everything I say is a pwn. In fact, I'm pwning right now.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.