Ok so I have a few backing tracks I want to put my riffs on top of...i have a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adaptor or whatever...what is the best way to record my riffs to my PC? can i do amp to PC? or should I buy say a Shure SM57 and use that to record them with? and if I buy the mic, what converter cable do i need to go with it, and what software do I use to record and layer my tracks? is there any free software or software that I can get cracked off the net (not asking where)...thanks
Quote by d_byrne23
Ok so I have a few backing tracks I want to put my riffs on top of...i have a 1/4 to 1/8 inch adaptor or whatever...what is the best way to record my riffs to my PC? can i do amp to PC? or should I buy say a Shure SM57 and use that to record them with? and if I buy the mic, what converter cable do i need to go with it, and what software do I use to record and layer my tracks? is there any free software or software that I can get cracked off the net (not asking where)...thanks

I dont know about the computer based recording conversionstuff, but I do know that the SM57 is GREAT.
yea, i'm in the same boat as him ^... my band has like $800 worth of recording equpt. not counting the mics. The thing is, ive never recorded to a computer... but the SM57 is my fav. mic, it does vocals, amps everything! even bass drums... I (heart) sure.
aside from that, all i can sugest is using a good chunk of software, and ive fornd that micing a cab. gives me more of the sound that i have live, which i want for my recordings. i donno if that helped or not, but it's all i can say.
I've found a couple methods work best. If you have a great amp, a Shure SM57 and a mic preamp/mixer of some sort work great to get it's sound. The mic preamps will have some kind of interface to the PC, or use a line level output. If you don't like your amp's sound, something like a guitarport, blackbox, or other PC interface work best because you get all the amp/cab sims and fx for the PC.

You can use the line level out on your amp if it has one, to go directly into a recording interface, whether that be a soundcard or mixer. However, you lose all the sound qualities that come from your speakers that way. Some have a speaker emulation on the line out too.

You use an XLR cable for the SM57, and that connects to an XLR input on a mixer or preamp. There are many different cheap preamps, just check reviews. As for software, I use Audacity, and it's free. It has the ability to do what you mentioned.

You might want to post this in the riffs and recordings section.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I'm pretty sure my friend has an XLR -> 1/4 convertor, which could be then converted to a 1/8th inch with an adapter.

You could do that. Or, if you have a PA..

Run the mic into the PA system, then run an instrument cable from lineout to the computer using a 1/8th adapter. Personally, I find adapter cheap on MF all the time. Just pick one up with your next order if you don't have a PA. Hell, pick one up anyway. Then you could record at home in your bedroom. :P

Also remember: The mic position can make an amp sound completely different. So when you start recording, play around with that.

Sorry if I repeated anything, didn't really read the above posts.
ok is line 6 guitar port good? i just have a crate gt65 amp, pretty crappy...whats the most inexpensive but decent riff recording thing similar to guitar port?
o and does anyone know the difference between line 6's guitar port, and tone port?
I have a 20 dollar mic pack I got from Musician's Friend. (Stand Cable + Mic, On Stage Stands I believe is the brand). Personally, I think a decent/crappy mic and a nice amp will record better than your Crate. If you think it's crappy, upgrade that first or you'll never be happy with your recordings.

But, if you don't want to upgrade your amp.. Then, give us a budget for your recording setup.
I think toneport comes with more stuff, I know it has recording software, whereas I think guitarport makes you use your own.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids