Page 1 of 2
So some dude said my guitar was the biggest sissy guitar ever and his Jackson RR would totally pwn mine.. But I said it's not about which guitar will pwn the other, but the person playing it. So he still said he'd kick my ass and now we are going to have a battle in a few weeks. He is a 17 year old metal shredder and I am a 15 year old.. well, wannabe shredder

I need to learn some shizenhausen and improve my godness on the guitar.. I don't want something uber shredalistik like Simple Plan \m/ But something that will seriously help me. I don't want exercises or gay **** that SOUNDS cool.. But ja, seriously, anyone got any ideas?

Not something too freaking hard but not easy.
you need to practice playing fast. meaning get a metranome and start learning some hard songs. there is literally no substitute for practicing.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Quote by Trapman870
you need to practice playing fast. meaning get a metranome and start learning some hard songs. there is literally no substitute for practicing.

I do. lol..

But i've found everytime I learn a full song I've learnt a lot of little things that contribute to my playing overall..

So yeah
chilren of bodom and **** like that...or u know the practicing thing
Gear:
ibanez ic 400
fender metalhead half stack
jackson sl3 soloist
dude you dont have to play fast to be good. hell probabl come up to you and start playing arpeggios a million miles an hour. dont try to follow him cuz first off youre probably not gonna be able to and second because thats not the best thing to do. play a blues lick but dont just play. play it like you mean it. put feeling in to it. play a Bb and make it talk. i guaratee you that if you do that you will win. david gilmour doesnt play fast and he can beat the crap out of preety much every shredder with just 3 notes

good luck
Quote by twistedsister
dude you dont have to play fast to be good. hell probabl come up to you and start playing arpeggios a million miles an hour. dont try to follow him cuz first off youre probably not gonna be able to and second because thats not the best thing to do. play a blues lick but dont just play. play it like you mean it. put feeling in to it. play a Bb and make it to talk. i guaratee you that if you do that you will win. david gilmour doesnt play fast and he can beat the crap out of preety much every shredder with just 3 notes

good luck

The people who will be there are all hardcore and hate slow ****. I can play some nice slow ****, and I can 5/6 string sweep. But I still wouldn't mind some fast playing. I'm not saying fast is everything but still, ****ing sounds good I have to admit. I'm a perfectionist so if I learn some fast licks it's not going to be sloppy.
^^I was about to say that. Play infinity miles an hour makes you fast, not nessacarily good. Look at Johnny Cash, the guy play simple acoustic songs, but he has sainthood among guitarists. But, if you must play fast, explore different styles. If he is a metal shredder then you should go for somthing in a different style. While it may not be as fast, it may be more complex. And yeah, practice. That is very important.
-Party on and rock harder than you party-

Originally Posted By Paint

and if there was a band directly opposite of Dragonforce, they band would be ****ing insane.
If your lookin for a song to learn try somthing from Trivium or some other metalcore band, brush up on your licks and chops.
-Party on and rock harder than you party-

Originally Posted By Paint

and if there was a band directly opposite of Dragonforce, they band would be ****ing insane.
Quote by metaldier
The people who will be there are all hardcore and hate slow ****. I can play some nice slow ****, and I can 5/6 string sweep. But I still wouldn't mind some fast playing. I'm not saying fast is everything but still, ****ing sounds good I have to admit. I'm a perfectionist so if I learn some fast licks it's not going to be sloppy.

but you say hes 17, a metal shredder and youre 15 and a wannabe be shredder. whos gonna win if you guys both shred? im not saying play really slow but dont play a gazilion miles an hour. have alot of different licks of different styles so you can use em on him. pherhaps learn the guitar duel from crossroads in case you need that. it could be very helpful
yur rite it is in the player, but a jackson rr would pwn any guitar
Quote by twistedsister
but you say hes 17, a metal shredder and youre 15 and a wannabe be shredder. whos gonna win if you guys both shred? im not saying play really slow but dont play a gazilion miles an hour. have alot of different licks of different styles so you can use em on him. pherhaps learn the guitar duel from crossroads in case you need that. it could be very helpful

It's basically 5th caprice.. but yeah I can sorta play it. Not as good as eugene haha but still
Learn some Dragonforce, that'll speed u right up
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
17 yr old metal shredder>15 year old wannabe.

I wouldn't have "challenged" him in the first place,but you should perhaps try Canon in D.
When your body's tired, exercise your mind.
david gilmour doesnt play fast and he can beat the crap out of preety much every shredder with just 3 notes

Explain to me how the hell do you beat the crap out of somebody in music.

In relevance to the threadstarter, play http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/z/zakk_wylde/farm_fiddlin_power_tab.htm

Its different, shreddy and people will be in shock, thus you'll "win."

P.S. Guitar battles are ****ing stupid.
you dug yourself into your own s**thole, now you dig yourself out...maybe if your ego wasn't so inflated you would have had the integrity to just walk away..that's what gives all guitarists a bad name

but yeah, go for Serrana or something with a lot of sweeps and lose gracefully, there's no way you can take any decent shred song and have it polished, clean, and ready against a 17-year-old hotshot in mere weeks...you're screwed
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Might wanna look for a guitarpro tab of the third part of Vivaldi's Summer. Probably just called "vivaldi - summer"
If you speak the truth, have a foot in the stirrup
Quote by twistedsister
in a guitar duel dip****

can't you beat the crap out of someone in bed? i think that's what your mom called it last night
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by axe_grinder247
can't you beat the crap out of someone in bed? i think that's what your mom called it last night

how original. go play in traffic
it really depends on ur skill level. If you are really good and can pretty much learn anything, then theres a million things for you to play.
wow what a cocky 17 year old, he sounds like my self when i was 17 (read the biography thread). Man i wish some cocky loser would challenge me becuase it just shows that being cocky gets you no where. honestly if hes that cocky, hes just another looser that sits home and plays guitar all night and doesnt have a single friend
meow :3
Quote by Remebol
wow what a cocky 17 year old, he sounds like my self when i was 17 (read the biography thread). Man i wish some cocky loser would challenge me becuase it just shows that being cocky gets you no where. honestly if hes that cocky, hes just another looser that sits home and plays guitar all night and doesnt have a single friend

to add to that, the cocky 17-year-old shredders trying to own younger pre-teens aren't really going to make it anywhere music-wise, so they end up working full time at BK for the rest of their life due to skipping school for a "hobby"

as opposed to somebody who dedicates themselves to their instrument and is reserved about their playing ability and respect their art enough to keep it to themselves rather than showing off...this guy = scholarship to Berklee
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

in a guitar duel dip****

Oh really, and what do you base your judgements on. What's more "soulful" maybe? How do you do that? Count the number of bends he does? Look at his face? Ridiculous. Maybe its whats more melodic? How do you measure a melody? What is for sure is that it can't be technicality since you quoted gilmour "beating" shredders.

So all in all, down to the bare bones of it, you're telling me that in the form of a "guitar battle" that suddenly music is no longer subjective?

You're a fool.
Quote by Erc
Oh really, and what do you base your judgements on. What's more "soulful" maybe? How do you do that? Count the number of bends he does? Look at his face? Ridiculous. Maybe its whats more melodic? How do you measure a melody? What is for sure is that it can't be technicality since you quoted gilmour "beating" shredders.

So all in all, down to the bare bones of it, you're telling me that in the form of a "guitar battle" that suddenly music is no longer subjective?

You're a fool.

I base my judgment on the fact that any idiot can run up a scale a million miles per hour and use 1 million notes but only a few, like Mr. Gilmour, actually have the ability to play 3 notes that will be more powerful than those other million notes that the shredder plays.
Quote by twistedsister
I base my judgment on the fact that any idiot can run up a scale a million miles per hour and use 1 million notes but only a few, like Mr. Gilmour, actually have the ability to play 3 notes that will be more powerful than those other million notes that the shredder plays.

i think if there was some way to cleary see a winner, you'd definitly be right.
Just like any battle it will result in someone running out of licks and riffs. Thus it's not about talent as much as it expending your self.
Run!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Simply, the world was too small for a man of his ambition.
Quote by ifeastonbums
GuitarSymphony you are my hero!
Quote by twistedsister

not any old idiot can run up and down scales at 20 nps...it takes years of dedicated practice...if it's so easy, perhaps you should post a clip of yourself...
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by axe_grinder247
not any old idiot can run up and down scales at 20 nps...it takes years of dedicated practice...if it's so easy, perhaps you should post a clip of yourself...

yeah, any old idiot that puts practice into it.
if hes a "metal shredder" and he can obviously out speed you, dont try to outspeed him in a week, learn something with cool shred licks but for the most part is tasteful somewhat.

my suggestion is you get a decent drummer and bassist, and learn "black star", because if you play that right, he will look no better than you if he just speeds through sweeps the whole time IMO
Quote by axe_grinder247

I must disagree. If you put a regular person who has never played guitar or has little experience and show him a "shred pattern" and make him or her practice that, he or she will be able to play it at a very fast.

I will post a clip of myself. What song would you like to see done?
^ http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4207150030723270023&q=Oscar+Peterson

Have fun with that!

Oh, and thats only 12nps.

Here is a 20nps lick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOZOzUVBhUI&search=shawn%20lane%20technique

Take your pick!

You're still telling me that music isn't subjective arn't you...Yea you are.

Damn you're dumb.
instead of pointless boring shredding surprise him and play some blues or classical or something
Tender Surrender by Steve Vai's solo. It's shred but it's good sounding.
Quote by Mattefuller
instead of pointless boring shredding surprise him and play some blues or classical or something

Well I can play all of Paganini's 24th.

When I said wannabe I didn't mean I suck and wish I was the best shredder evaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.. I meant I wish I could just play perfect notes fast for sorta long periods of time. I guess age wise I could probably pwn him but this isn't serious. It's just a bit of fun.

Just wanted to get some ideas on songs so I could have a bit more to play on the day
Quote by twistedsister
dude you dont have to play fast to be good. hell probabl come up to you and start playing arpeggios a million miles an hour. dont try to follow him cuz first off youre probably not gonna be able to and second because thats not the best thing to do. play a blues lick but dont just play. play it like you mean it. put feeling in to it. play a Bb and make it talk. i guaratee you that if you do that you will win. david gilmour doesnt play fast and he can beat the crap out of preety much every shredder with just 3 notes

good luck

Technical proficiency is a requirement to convey emotion on the instrument, and speed is a natural byproduct of technical proficiency.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Technical proficiency is a requirement to convey emotion on the instrument, and speed is a natural byproduct of technical proficiency.

There are no requirements in music, d00d.
Page 1 of 2