Hey. Is it good to start out with and exspensive guitar or like a value pack or something...

What kinda of guitar is good for a beginner?
Quote by Anthony11
Hey. Is it good to start out with and exspensive guitar or like a value pack or something...

I would get something that isn't too expensive in case it turns out that playing guitar isn't for you. That way you don't lose too much money on it. Do you have any friends that can go with you to help pick one out?
*My Gear*

Schecter S-1
Fender MIM Strat (soon to be hotrodded)
Fender Acoustic/electric
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Quote by JtoTHAizzosh
I would get something that isn't too expensive in case it turns out that playing guitar isn't for you. That way you don't lose too much money on it. Do you have any friends that can go with you to help pick one out?

My cousin
What kind of music do you listen to now, it will most likely change but what do you listen to now?
What kind of music are you into, how much are you planning on spending and how seriously are you going to be playing?
Ok well your cousin should be able to help you then. If you'll let us know what kind of music you want to play we can recommend a guitar.
*My Gear*

Schecter S-1
Fender MIM Strat (soon to be hotrodded)
Fender Acoustic/electric
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DS-1 Distortion
I really don't know. I just wanna mess around and see if I will stay into liking guitars. Because I don't wanna spend alot of money on one then decide to not play. So maybe around $150. Do you think that is good?
No, not enough at all. Id say like $340-$500 maximum. Dont get the stratocastor packs cuz they are not suited for the type of music you will be playing.
Get a decent guitar with humbuckers (your cousin can help you out with that) and a small practice amp, like a Roland MicroCube. That way you don't blow a ton of money if you decide you don't like it, but you have good enough equipment to get good at guitar at home if you take to it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Let me do some research.

IbanezDSZ120 ($285)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSZ120-Electric-Guitar?sku=519966
Nice guitar, my bud' has it. Awesome guitar overall.

Ibanez RG321MHGN ($279)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321MHGN-Electric-Guitar?sku=517963
Good guitar besides the pickups. But they are still great. Slim neck=faster playing

Thats all I got for now. You know you need an amp. Let me do some research on that too.
Quote by altarofdemise
Let me do some research.

IbanezDSZ120 ($285)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSZ120-Electric-Guitar?sku=519966
Nice guitar, my bud' has it. Awesome guitar overall.

Ibanez RG321MHGN ($279)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321MHGN-Electric-Guitar?sku=517963
Good guitar besides the pickups. But they are still great. Slim neck=faster playing

Thats all I got for now. You know you need an amp. Let me do some research on that too.

LIES..well not really lies, but still dont tell him that...it could turn out the a smaller neck will be more comfortable for him resulting in him being faster but he could be more comfortable with a larger neck. basically whether its slimmer or not, whichever neck is more comfortable in your hand will determine the speed you get out of it...and its moreso the player than the neck.
Go get your shovel.
ya get a cheap one....cuz if u buy like a les paul and decide u dont want to play guitar u lose alot of money....i just got a epiphone LP custom....it was used but the guy i bought it off only used it for a week and decided he wanted to play classical guitar...
Quote by 6touch6of.evil6
ya get a cheap one....cuz if u buy like a les paul and decide u dont want to play guitar u lose alot of money....i just got a epiphone LP custom....it was used but the guy i bought it off only used it for a week and decided he wanted to play classical guitar...

that's cool
Hi guys, i actually have a similar question so i'l ontinue in this thread.
I wanna buy an electric. I have been practicing with an acoutic for quite sometime. The acoustic wasn't great, very high action, so i never could plya any real thing. I learnt some chords n stuff. But i know i wanna play guitar. Am 22. I wanna play. Decided that over years of waiting.
I listen to Led Zeppelin, pink floyd, s&m. some other classical stuff. Stuff like Coldplay, Idlewild, Mathbox Twenty. I have varied taste, even listen to System of a Down, u2, pearl jam n all.
So what should i go for?
It would really be difficult to talk abt budget as am from India and am gonna buy it here in India.
If you guys could let me know what features i must look into, that would be great. Also suggest what i should look for in amps.
Thanks a lot.
Original Message by Next Hendrix
You know you're a guitar player when your girlfriend says she got a new g-string and you ask " Is it nickel-wound or bronze phosphorous?"
A humbucker, for sure but you still need the single coil stuff for classic. So Id say a Fat Strat?
Why single coil for classics? What does it do? (pls realise that am a dummy to all this stuff)
Original Message by Next Hendrix
You know you're a guitar player when your girlfriend says she got a new g-string and you ask " Is it nickel-wound or bronze phosphorous?"
single coild have a trebly clear clean tone thats good for clean parts itll be good for like pink floyd and simmilar sounding stuff, Humbuckers have a warmer tone thats more suitable for overdriven and distorted sounds which is what youd want for the more modern stuff and even some of the classic stuff like led zepplelin. So yes i would also recommend a fat strat, easy to play, good quality and moderately affordable.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
single coild have a trebly clear clean tone thats good for clean parts itll be good for like pink floyd and simmilar sounding stuff, Humbuckers have a warmer tone thats more suitable for overdriven and distorted sounds which is what youd want for the more modern stuff and even some of the classic stuff like led zepplelin. So yes i would also recommend a fat strat, easy to play, good quality and moderately affordable.

I too would recommend a fat strat are you set on amps?
If not a vox valvatronix would sound great with a fat strat.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
^I agree. A vox valvatronix would sound pretty sweet with a fat strat.

Instead of making a entire new thread, i thought i put my guitar question in here as well. I have been playing guitar for a good while now, and the only guitar i own is what a started with- a samick strat copy. Horrible pickups (single coils- and im a metalhead), but it was a good second-hand beginner axe. So now im looking to move on a bit. I own a roland cube 60, and am planning on buying some sort of half stack in the near future. My musical tastes include metallica, guns and roses, iron maiden, led zep, sabbath, trivium, and tool. some odd combinations, but thats what i play. So any ideas as to what guitar i should get? Price range is between $250- $650 (based on currency exchange between USD and NZD). cheers in advance
hmm id reccomend an epiphone solid body of some sort, but in that price range you can also find some decent ibanez and jackson guitars, esps are decent in that price range as well. but since you seem to be more into classic sounding metal id recomend an epiphone. but really anything with humbuckers would work fairly well.
i picked out a 200 dollard epiphone les paul special II pack and its pretty good for your first, i guess... im not an expert. but i play the same stuff as you but i play metal too.
Originally Posted by acousticpyro23
Bitch get off my nuts.

Originally Posted by Vigilantius
I asked my mom for a cell phone once, and she said I don't have any friends anyways.
Quote by Martini_0060
^I agree. A vox valvatronix would sound pretty sweet with a fat strat.

Instead of making a entire new thread, i thought i put my guitar question in here as well. I have been playing guitar for a good while now, and the only guitar i own is what a started with- a samick strat copy. Horrible pickups (single coils- and im a metalhead), but it was a good second-hand beginner axe. So now im looking to move on a bit. I own a roland cube 60, and am planning on buying some sort of half stack in the near future. My musical tastes include metallica, guns and roses, iron maiden, led zep, sabbath, trivium, and tool. some odd combinations, but thats what i play. So any ideas as to what guitar i should get? Price range is between $250- $650 (based on currency exchange between USD and NZD). cheers in advance

An epiphone les paul standard or G-400 could be good.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
yeah, i was thinking an epiphone. Gave an epiphone flying V a tryout the other day, and that didn't sound to bad. anyone know of any bad reviews?
Quote by Anthony11

if your price rane is 270 a squier strat pack could be nice

if your price range is 450 get a standard strat or a epiphone g-400
those are the two im trying to decide for myself